FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Somebody, anybody, how do you make perfect waffles?

Author Topic: Somebody, anybody, how do you make perfect waffles?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't made waffles for years. This is because Porter doesn't particularly care for them, I find them too unhealthy to go through the bother for, and no one else cared before.

Yesterday my daughter wanted waffles. She wanted 'em bad.

I have an old belgium waffle iron that we got as a wedding present 7 years ago. I had sliced strawberries and whipped cream in the fridge. I got a recipe off the internet that looked decent and set out.

Now, it doesn't matter if it is a beglium waffle or a regular one, for some reason I can never get them perfect. You know, to fill in the whole shape, edges and top.

This time I had to deal with the whole separating eggs issue. I never know if I folded them back together well enough. This time an emergency forced me to wait, and the batter began to separate back out again on its own. To make matters worse, while I usually get some runoff, this time it was insane!

In the end, they were flat, flabby and eggy, not crisp and fluffy. So how do you do it, Hatrack, how do you make a perfect waffle? Is it a dream to which no mere mortal can hope to aspire?

[ May 06, 2005, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: beverly ]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not experienced in making waffles, but this might help.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know waffles were hard. My dad makes the kind with the small ridges, not the Belgian kind. He uses the bisquick method with buttermilk. Mmmmm.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
These might, too.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
This one looks particularly good and easy.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lost Ashes
Member # 6745

- posted      Profile for Lost Ashes   Email Lost Ashes         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, after trying to do them from scratch, I gave up and got a box of the Aunt Jemima mix. Works like a charm.

Save the work portion of waffles for cleaning the waffle iron.

Posts: 472 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I have made wonderful waffles from scratch. Somewhere I have a great recipe that rises in the fridge overnight, and makes lovely waffles -- fluffy on the inside, crispy on the outside.

But really, I find a good mix makes waffles that are almost as good as scratch. I like Arrowhead Mills' multigrain pancake and waffle mix, and their other varieties are nice as well.

[ May 06, 2005, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

rivka, would this be it?
rivka
Member # 4859

It looks similar. Without mine in front of me (and I think it's buried in my boxes in the garage) I can't be sure, but I don't think it's quite the same.

It looks good, though. [Smile]

[ May 06, 2005, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: rivka ]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
This looks like an easy ... recipe.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*snicker* For toaster waffles, Eggo's aren't bad. But there's no question they don't measure up to the real thing.

Then again, on anything but a Sunday morning, they're as close as we get. [Big Grin]

rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, DaG did. I was just replying to his link. [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.