FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lion mutilates 42 midgets in Cambodian ring-fight

Author Topic: Lion mutilates 42 midgets in Cambodian ring-fight
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
What do people here think about this? Lion mutilates 42 midgets in Cambodian ring-fight. Also, is it wrong to laugh at this kind of stupidity?

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
It's sad that they were so stupid, but it *is* pretty funny.

I sense a Darwin Award coming...

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
If this doesn't win a Darwin Award, nothing will...
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because it is wrong does not mean it is not hilarious.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
*imagines a bunch of midgets thinking they can take on a lion*

[ROFL]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
There was absolutely no reason for this exhibition of stupid behavior. It will, no doubt, result in the killing of that lion (now that it's killed human beings, etc. etc.). What exactly is the point? If they'd won, so what? Now that they've lost, the lion is probably going to suffer.

And what numbskull sent them a lion for this dumb thing anyway?

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*sighs at the word "midget", which she was taught not to use*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't find this particularly funny-more like "eyebrow raising stupidity."

[ May 07, 2005, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Ebert just had something over at his website about the use of "midget"... letsee... link
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's funny.

But then I also think it didn't really happen.

If it had, someone would certainly have taken pictures or videos. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, plaid. I thought I was just weird. My mother is a RN/OTR, and has worked with many Little People over the years. My dad, an MD, also respects their right to be referred to by the term of their choice. We were talked to, then expected not to use "midget" the same as the "n-word". So I have a very bad, as that guy puts it, "visceral reaction", when I see it. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
from the article
quote:
The Cambodian Government allowed the fight to take place, under the condition that they receive a 50% commission on each ticket sold, and that no cameras would be allowed in the arena.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yes, that irked me.
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

Wow, I didn't know "midget" was considered offensive or rude. When a lot of people say it, they don't mean it to be offensive. I think a lot of minorities just get offended way too easily. [Roll Eyes]

They like, need to chill, man. It's all good. We ain't hatin'.

[ May 07, 2005, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: Eruve Nandiriel ]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
I think a lot of minorities just get offended way too easily.
They like, need to chill, man. It's all good. We ain't hatin'.

I'm going to assume this is a joke. Right?
Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice try. Now why do you think they would ban cameras, huh? Doesn't that sound a little "convenient" to you?

I reinterate: unbelievable...literally. Sorry. If it were true, it would be awful. But I think it's one of those things that someone heard and rushed to get it on the internet without checking it out... [Smile]

It simply blares, "Oh, come on!" at me. [Big Grin]

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

Well it is a hoax, look at the link people. Last I check http://www.people.virginia.edu/~bmg8c/4600399.htm
isn't the BBC....

Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the article is fake, it links to BBC.co.uk, but the url is completely different, and then searching the BBC website I found no article on this.
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

Beat you to it Vadon... [The Wave]
Vadon
Member # 4561

- posted      Profile for Vadon           Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed you did, by one minute. Oh well, we probably caught it at about the same time, but you posted it first. ^_^
Posts: 1831 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I guess it looks like a hoax, but it is still funny, regardless. I could seriously see a bunch of idiots trying that though.

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find it at all funny. I am happy it is a hoax, though.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.