FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Search question

Author Topic: Search question
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an easy way to search for a user name when that name is also a common word? As an example only, Book? I don't know the member number, and what I want to find out is this member's post history.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think your best bet is to find a post of theirs and then use the search by member number feature to get a listing.

You can search on their name, but it'll only show up in the search results if someone used the name (i.e., in replying to them).

I think.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Go to Google and enter this search:

dagonee hatrack "Member ratings are not currently permitted on this message board"

replace dagonee with the member name. That should bring up the profile, which gets you the member number.

[ May 07, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
What they said, too. 'Cept I think you have to shorten Dag's, since the Google limit (I believe) is 10 words.

You can also e-mail me, since I have an almost-complete list.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag! That's so cool!!!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Pop, it worked. I don't know if it's cutting any off when it searched, but the only thing it returned is my profile.

Bob, the Goo-Fu is strong in this one.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Also depends on how common the name is. For instance, with "Book" instead of "Dagonee" I get 838 hits.

Try "Profile for <name>" hatrack "member ratings are not currently permitted" instead. With that I got only one hit for "book."

--Pop

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Tried the Google search with <name> member "member ratings are currently not permitted" Came up with two hits, one of which appears to be Battle School (because the result was for <rank> <name>) and the other is definitely not the person I'm looking at. when I expand results to "include the similar results that were omitted", I get 14 total, all of which have the <name> entry in the Interests field. Tried it using the sender's email and got nothing.

Here's the deal. I got an email from someone trying to get me to join their forum. Since we dealt with this a few months back (that was my first search, to find the "email spam by members" thread from January), I first wanted to see who it was and how long they were a member, etc. before going any further with it. Not the same email address, website, or name as the last time around.

Now I've seen people with similar screen names, including a brand new version in the last week, but wasn't sure if I've seen THIS particular version as it appeared in the email I received. So before I started another "email spam" thread or resurrected the old thread, I wanted to check him/her/it out. And I'm not about to go to a strange site from an email without references.

edit:
Bob, a search for screen name using "anywhere in message" will pull posts by that person even if nobody has used their name in a reply. I do it on myself all the time (don't ask). But the name in question is so common for this site that the search shuts down at 300 hits and none of them are posts by this member name (or atleast the name given in the email, I just realized that what he/she/it put in the email may not exactly be a registered member name, might be one of these variants that I'm thinking of)

[ May 07, 2005, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: Goody Scrivener ]

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the same e-mail. I am 100% positive that the sender is not registered under the name they claim to be, if at all.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I got that email, too. I was tempted to send it to Papa Janitor and see if they wanted to do anything.

By the way, I'm almost positive we were getting hit by a bot harvesting emails last week and the week before during those slowdowns. I recently got slammed with spam at this address, and I only use it here and at two other forums.

Dagonee

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

There's a thread about the spam e-mails on the other side, too. It's unfortunate, but not much I can do about it, as far as I know. Ketchupqueen (I think it was) mentioned what we (some nebulous group of Jatraqueros, perhaps) did last time -- apparently this is the same culprit.

--Pop

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.