FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How to win Friends and Influence People

Author Topic: How to win Friends and Influence People
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I've heard a lot of good things about this book from friends and had it recommended to me multiple times.

Have any of you read it? Is it worth the $8?

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I read it almost 20 years ago. At the time I thought it was helpful, but I can't remember anything specific. [Dont Know]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think The Prince by Machiavelli is a bit more practical.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
No it isn't, not by a long shot.

The Prince is cool, but not really usful in everyday life, wherre HTWFIP is one of the most pratical books ever written. Entire college courses have been developed using it, and it is one of the best selling books of all time (non-fiction).

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CarpeCrayola
Member # 7980

- posted      Profile for CarpeCrayola   Email CarpeCrayola         Edit/Delete Post 
I read this recently, mostly because I was moving to a job that required more people skills, and I learned a lot.

Worth $8.00? Look for it used somewhere, you dont need to pay that much.

Some of the principles should be common sense, though in our introverted/egotistical world they seem way out of place and are valuable for that reason. Others...well I got the impression that Mr. Canegie was advocating lying in order to get what you want.

That's not really a fair assesment, but there were principles that seemed more about bowing down and "appearing" (read deception) to give way while actually gaining what you want. To me, that's less than honest, and anything "gained" that way would be purchased by deceit.

I am certain that every car salesman in existence has read this thing, so it gives you some idea of who gets use from it.

I would recommend it, and take from it what you can, there is a reason that the book has been around for so long.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Kwea, I guess it depends on your ambitions.

[Wink] [Evil]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Definately. I read it about 5 years ago. Changed my whole outlook on things. I should probably go through it again, though, since I don't really remember much from it anymore [Blushing]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.