FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So I can, in fact, lift my bike back up by myself.

Author Topic: So I can, in fact, lift my bike back up by myself.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

I'm fine, my bike's fine, but I got my curiousity answered about if I'd be able to lift it by myself or not. I can! That is good news. It wasn't even difficult, really.

We were back at Claudia's house and had stopped to open the garage door, and then I took the turn into the garage a leeeetle too sharply. The apron is pretty steep, and I went over. But I had one leg down anyway, so I could control it somewhat and let the bike down gently. And then picked it back up again before she got back to help me.

The funny thing about it is that we both put our bikes down for the first time today. We stopped at a gas station on the way out, and then she needed to run in and pick something up. She started leaning her bike without putting the kickstand down first, and realized too late to recover. So we both feel pretty stupid, but I don't feel quite as dumb as she does. I was at least moving.

I asked if she wanted help or if she wanted to try to lift it by herself first, and she didn't even want to try. She got a scrap on a metal cover, and lost the lens for her left rear turn signal, too, but there was no damage to the paint. So I think we both pretty much lucked out for the first time dropping our bikes. And, hopefully, had valuable reminders about being careful. [Smile]

[ May 08, 2005, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: ElJay ]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to fall, that's probably the best way to do it. [Smile]
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I kinda thought so, yeah. [Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
my dad's criteria of what bike to buy included being able to lift it by yourself. He had a Honda 750, which I learned to ride, and yes, I could lift it. [Wink]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be impressed, but it's not like an ElJay-sized bike needs to be lifted all that far off the ground in the first place. The seat's what, a foot, two feet from the pavement?

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't surprise me that someone who can run a jackhammer can pick up a bike.

Glad your first spill was essentially harmless. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent.

Really, it's not uncommon at all. In my time owning a bike I have:

1) started backing up without taking the lock off the disc brake. When that rolled around to hit the front fork, the bike toppled. I'm told it was pretty funny to watch.

2) Put the kickstand down on my BRAND NEW BIKE and found out that it wasn't exactly like my old bike's kickstand. It wasn't all the way forward, so it wasn't "locked" into place. Folded back up neatly under the bike. Luckily I was right next to the lawn and the bike kind of landed on the grass.

3) started riding with the cable still on the back wheel. This was back when I still used a cable to lock the bike. I thought "hmm...I don't remember undoing the cable." Just then, the cable finally wound itself tightly around the back axle and made a bad noise. Thinking I'd basically destroyed my bike's drive mechanism and/or the rear brakes, I quickly unwound the offending cable, gave a few test movements, and rode off happily into the sunset.

4) Did exactly what you did, turning too sharply on an incline in front of the garage. Layed bike down.

I'm very happy to say I've never layed the bike down while under power at anything like real speed. I've had to make a few emergency maneuvers but both went off exactly like they showed us in the motorcycle traning class and I was able to avoid the racoon, pull out of a bad turn, and stay upright on a loose gravel road. Yippee!

Anyway, being able to lift your bike by yourself is a good thing. My current bike is too heavy by half for that. But then, you can always find someone willing to help.

It's just much more impressive to do it yourself.

Here's a potentially useful article for those with bikes bigger than they can lug:
pick up your bike

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Aaahh, brothers.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe - I assumed anyone picking up a bike would do something like that link shows, Bob. I didn't envision someone just deadlifting the bike up.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Yes, Punwit, you've discovered the real reason I joined Hatrack: My sisters had found a haven where they could hang out with their friends without me pestering them.

Younger Brother is a serious job, you know. There are standards.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Artie Johnson!!
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear it, eljay. Neither dropping the bike (so benignly), nor having to pick it up, is something to fear.
Here's the list I made a couple years ago of my then-to-date droppage incidents.

I've only had one other since: IN the experienced rider safety course, from forgetting to put the kickstand down before dismounting. That was a bit, um, embarrassing.

Ride on.
-John

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

quote:
Hehe - I assumed anyone picking up a bike would do something like that link shows, Bob. I didn't envision someone just deadlifting the bike up.
Huh. i just deadlifted it back up. But Bob's link is certainly informative for future reference. [Smile]
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Then there was the time I dropped the bike ON TOP of myself. That was fun trying to pick up.

Especially since it was right about the time my back was in its worst shape ever.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Intelligence3
Member # 6944

- posted      Profile for Intelligence3   Email Intelligence3         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you had a confidence-building moment! [Party]
Posts: 720 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
quote:
Huh. i just deadlifted it back up. But Bob's link is certainly informative for future reference. [Smile]
It's true! Science Fact: ElJays can lift up to 100 times an ant's weight!
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never laid down a bike. *crosses fingers* I came close with my old bike twice, the first time i don't remember what happened, but it starting going and got pretty damn close to the ground, and I really thought I was going to let it go and somehow strained and managed to pull it back up. I was sore for days.

The second time I started turning down an immensly steep street, and halfway through the turn realized it was one way, and tried to stop. But the angle and steepness of the hill sent the bike down, managed to pull it up, but it was a scary moment. I envisioned the bike getting out of my hands and sliding horribly down the hill.

No incidents with the new bike yet. Hopefully it stays that way, I haven't got engine guards for it yet.

*Actually, I lied. I've never dumped a bike I owned, but the first time I ever sat on a friends bike, before I knew anything, after he quickly went over what each hand was supposed to do, I took a quick cruise around the parking lot of our house. Came up a little dirt hill, avoided a car, turned and then coming up on my friends and a few other bikes, freaked out, forgot what hand did what and froze, tried to stop with my feet and hit one of my other friend's bike. No damage was caused, but I felt like a huge moron, and it took a long while to live that one down.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.