FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Raise your hand if you're an Engineer! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Raise your hand if you're an Engineer!
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed a lot of people here at hatrack mentioning that they are engineers. Then I got to wondering: just how many hatrackers are engineers?

So, what kind of engineer are you?
Why/How did you get involved in engineering?

I am a soon-to-be mechanical engineering student, and I became interested in engineering through FIRST Robotics. I found that I like to see something come from a vague idea in my head and become a working (sometimes), tangible thing.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
As a telecommunciations engineer, I am very thankful to your home city of Greenville for giving me a job once again ('cause there ain't none in Dallas anymore!)

I got into it because my dad said it paid well... I wanted to be a physicist, myself... but the steeper math finally got to me.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have The Knack?

EDIT: heh. You may need to scroll up to the first post, there.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
<-- aspiring Aerospace Enginneer.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
(The Rabbit stands up, looks around the circle and then down at her feet. She shuffles from one foot to the other for a few seconds and then says)

My name is Bonnie and I'm an ah ah Engineer.

(She sits down and the person to her left stands . . . )

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Software Engineer.

Ask Tom, he took one of my business cards. [Cool]

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Aspiring Computer engineer...
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I hesitate to substitute the term "engineering" for programming, I am, if you so choose those words, a part-time software engineer.

(I thoroughly respect all engineers, even programmers who choose to use those words, I just don't feel qualified to apply the term to myself. [Smile] )

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I confess. I, too, am an engineer. Electrically flavored. What can I say? I really loved buildling stuff as a kid and wiring things up, exploding things, launching things, burning things, and making various infernal contraptions. I got into Electrical mainly because the EE program at my school (Auburn) was superior to all the other Engineering disciplines, and also because electricity is just cool to play with, of course. I took a serious zigzag into computers for a while but luckily I recovered from that and now I get to play with bigger toys.

The physics and math part are really cool, though, I think. Sometimes I have leanings toward science or math type things. Astronomy is very awesome and I love it. Still I like for stuff I do to be immediately useful. I like making things that actually accomplish something right now. And I like to get my hands dirty and actually do the work. My dream job would probably be buildling observatories on the moon.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to be a civil engineer before I grow up. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a teenage education engineer. [Big Grin]

(What? mph said I should be an engineer, so I took his advice.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
If software engineers count as real engineers I don't see why education engineers shouldn't. For a summer job maybe I'll be an underwater ceramic sanitation engineer.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Cry]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an engineer. Not sure what kind, yet. My major is (probably) engineering physics. Take that as you will. [Smile]
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chupacabras
Member # 6840

- posted      Profile for Chupacabras   Email Chupacabras         Edit/Delete Post 
My good friend Pancho Villa let me drive a train once.

This train it was headed from El Paso to the mines in Mexico. There were some mining engineers onboard the train that day. Those engineers did not make it to the mines. [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 35 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I shovel coal into a locamotive. No. Not really. I'm just a lowly technician (Technically, I'm the exact opposite of an engineer.)
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
I am(or at least I was) a mechanical engineering student, but not a very good one.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in a profession that's loathed by several types of engineers, but I suppose that doesn't count for much around here...
Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, tell us, tell us!
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
quote:
[Cry]

Hobbes [Smile]

Oopsie. Sorry, Hobbes. I thought you had seconded it. [Blushing]

The memory is the second thing to go . . .

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll gladly bask in the glow of Hobbe's wit. [Smile]

I got two degrees in Mechanical Engineering, but now I just work as a software developer.

No, I'm not a software engineer -- there is no such thing, any more than there are sanitation engineers.

And although I don't really do any engineering, the software developing I do is with engineering tools, namely CAD systems. Every member of my software team has a mechnical engineering degree.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strider
Member # 1807

- posted      Profile for Strider   Email Strider         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an engineer, or at least I used to be. I don't know if you can still say that I am. I have a computer engineering degree. I've always been really interested and done well in math and sciences. And my whole family is engineers of some sort or another. Seemed natural, and I was very interested in computers and technology.

But I quit my job almost two years back in favor of a drastic life change that did not involve engineering of any sort. I don't plan on going back to it any time soon. It's a shame, there were aspects of it I genuinely liked, but those aspets were few and far between.

Posts: 8741 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Gonna be a computer engineer. Hopefully. Or computer programmer. Bah, who's keeping track of these things anyway?!
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to be a robotics engineer when I grew up, but that was a long time ago. I ended up doing something else instead. [Dont Know]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you pleased with your current occupation?
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a geotechnical engineer. I started out studying aerospace engineering, but decided that the job market was way too dependent on government whims. I got into civil engineering because I had to get into a engineering college and that had the most credits that could be transferred to whatever discipline I decided on. I decided I loved civil, especially dirt. Geotechs use a lot of their own judgement and aren't confined to numbers out of a manual. Dirt never has a specific modulus of elasticity, compressive strength, etc.

quote:
I'm in a profession that's loathed by several types of engineers, but I suppose that doesn't count for much around here...
Only when you try and tell us how to do our jobs.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Beanny - yes. I'm a writer. [Big Grin]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a chemical engineering degree, but I still have few years' work left before I can get my professional engineer's certification (I need four years of work experience and have one). I got into it because society expected me to go into the sciences and because I wanted to land a job that would be interesting while also enabling me to support my hobbies. It's working out okay so far, though I don't live in the most exciting place ever. I'm also considering trying to move into an environmentally-oriented position so I can feel like I'm doing something beyond merely making my company money.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Chemical Engineer by degree, though I'm in a more materials engineering job, which suits me.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Engineering: The application of scientific and mathematical principles to practical ends such as the design, manufacture, and operation of efficient and economical structures, machines, processes, and systems.
quote:
Software engineering (SE) is the profession, practiced by software engineers, concerned with creating and maintaining software applications by applying technologies and practices from computer science, project management, and other fields.
quote:
Software Engineering: is the practice of creating software, productively and with quality.
Members of this profession are called software engineers, programmers, developers, or practitioners.
People who write code and do not follow the doctrines of software engineering are more accurately called programmers, developers, or software artists.

"Programmer" implies that you do no design or analysis (such as for a certain architecture or algorithms). You just write code for software that someone else designed. If design and analysis of processes are a large portion of your job, then are you not an engineer?

I am not a code monkey. I am not a garbage man. And if this thread is only for certain types of engineers, it should have said so. If you are a "programmer" and not an engineer, thats fine. But don't say we don't exist.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm an electrical engineer. Although sadly, the job I'm currently in has very little in the way of electrical stuff, it's mainly a consulting design/project management for new commercial construction. So it's like what I went to school for except without everything I enjoyed studying.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And if this thread is only for certain types of engineers, it should have said so. If you are a "programmer" and not an engineer, thats fine. But don't say we don't exist.
I think the question might have been better phrased "Who here is a licensed professional engineer".

Or maybe not. That's the only distinction I make between "real engineers" and the 400 million other people who call themselves engineers because it makes their job description sound cooler.

I'm not accusing you of this, Xavier, I'm just generalizing.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You could also draw the distinction between an Engineering degree, and those just in school for engineering as well.

The fact, is only a few of the "engineering" professions *need* the PE, with it being most crucial for Civil engineers, with Electrical following closely behind. Chemical engineers don't commonly take it in the U.S. though I plan to since I passed the FE exam. I also plan to take the Mechanical Engineering PE rather than the chemical one. At my company with literally hundreds of Mechanical engineers only 3 have actually passed the P.E. But we aren't in a field that requires a P.E. to sign off on drawings either.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I think a good rule of thumb is that if a discipline has the word "science" in it (political science, social science, computer science. science, etc.), then it probably isn't scientific.

Physics science. Chemistry science. Zoology science. Why don't they use the word science -- because they don't need it.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Life science . . .
Portabello
Member # 7710

quote:
You could also draw the distinction between an Engineering degree, and those just in school for engineering as well.
I don't understand what you mean by this distinction.

edit -- I think I get it now -- it's just whether or not you've got the degree yet. Right?

twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Xavier, the thing about "engineer" is that it's a term that has legal meaning. That's why some of us get a bit antsy when people who are not, in fact, engineers (in the legal/professional sense of the term) start throwing the word around.

It'd be like a chiropractor saying "I'm a doctor." Apples and oranges. What's wrong with "software developer" or something similar?

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
My degree is Computer Engineering. Seems like I've been everything but though, Systems Engineer, Software Engineer, Engineering Analyst.....

I can go take a PE so I think that makes me a "real engineer"
Maybe if I go out and drive the train though there won't be any question of my realness

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

quote:
What's wrong with "software developer" or something similar?
I think it's because of the desire to be seen as above what Xavier describes as "code monkeys" or "garbage men". Of course, the problem is that the only real objective difference between a "code monkey" and a "software engineer" is what they are called.

(I'm not saying that there's no difference. But if there is, it is largely a subjective difference.)

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I'm a software engineer, since I do design and analysis in addition to cranking out the code. I switched to the computer science major from biology after looking at a diagram of how a strand of mRNA is zipped through a ribosome and decoded to make a protein and thinking "Oh, just like a Turing machine."
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
edit: to mph

I disagree strongly.

I know plenty of people who can turn out boilerplate code under direction on what to code, and very few people who can design new software systems. The ones who design new software systems are the engineers, and the ones who turn out boilerplate code are the code monkeys/programmers, and this difference is pretty easy to spot and pretty objective.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

Eh. I don't think that makes you any more of an engineer though.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The point about a legal definition for engineer is well taken. However, the difference between what we've been calling a software engineer and a code monkey can still be objective even if there really isn't such a thing as a software engineer.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

Point accepted, fugu.

edit: Part of the problem with the use of the term software engineer is that it's generally the person themselves that gives them the name. Why do they call themselves a software engineer? There are many possible reasons, and you cannot know unless you know their abilities.

And if you know their abilities, then there's no need for a title like software engineer.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

It is true that a lot of engineers don't have any need to get their PE. A lot of my civil and mechanical buddies have no desire to get theirs. Ironically, if I was doing the type of EE stuff I really liked, I probably wouldn't get my PE.

But with consulting stuff, it would be stupid to be without it.

Edit:

Is anyone surprised how quickly this topic became a discussion of what jobs qualify as engineering?

I think definition of terms is like engineering school day one.

UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I am the son of one of the top electrical engineers in the U.S. His specialty is microwave communications, and a lot of what he does is classified, because his company is a defense contractor. I do know that he has done a lot of work on unmanned aircraft in the past few years.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
My degree is in Electronics Engineering Technology. I think it falls a bit short of a true EE, dealing more with implementation than with design.

Since college I've gradually slipped over to the software side, bridging the gap where the software meets the hardware.

My official title now is Senior Software Engineer. My company installs warehouse and factory automation equipment. My job is to design and code software and user interfaces that drive the equipment.

Today I will be sitting in a project kickoff meeting in which we find out what the salesman has promised the customer in terms of system layout, throughput, capacity, and user interface. It will then be my job to make the software live up to the customer's expectations.

In the end the title doesn't matter so much as the stuff that is lining your wallet.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we could get into Civil Engineers and how they’re just bridge builders and how Mechanical Engineers are just glorified mechanics and Chemical Engineers are just chemists. Who does real engineering with chemicals?

Now before anyone jumps all over me that was being silly to make a point.

But anyway…… I think you see where it’s going. Each field has its common worker and its expert Engineer Designer in its area.
Right?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, we're almost up to my personal pet peeve where the label "architecture" is being applied to many disciplines where it was fine in an abstract sense, but has become far too common.

Feyd Baron, DoC

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, i am a Information System Engineer. But i may go on any mécanical part of industry (Studies, Production, or Quality, or R&D) and in any type of industry (Electricity, Car, military part, aeronautic or space...) because, in my school, we learn many skills.

So, i prefer to say i am a general engineer.

And for why, it's simple : i like to build.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.