FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Starting a Journal

Author Topic: Starting a Journal
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
So I've been given the idea to start a literary journal, for the purpose of creative writing and possibly some visual arts, at my university. And at the present, I'm not really sure where to start...I've spoken with the English department head, looked up what the submission guidelines are for other Canadian journals, and e-mailed a few editors to see what sort of information and direction they may be able to give me, but I'm still in dire need of any suggestions or ideas that people can offer me. So yeah, any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions?
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, as in a magazine type thing, not as in a blog type thing?

Nope, nothing's coming to me. [Dont Know] Wait, have you checked out what the journals look like at other universities? That could be a good idea - get past issues, see what works, what doesn't. See how much they charge, format, that sort of thing.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, I'm thinking a printed journal...or perhaps one that is just online, as I don't know how much it would cost to run hardcopies, just yet
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a big project. Very cool. [Smile] Sadly, I have no advice to offer...
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
If your student government or whoever hands out student funding currently funds any similar endeavors, you can likely get funding out of them for yours once you have interest and a plan.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Your first priority will be to find editors. Your second priority will be to encourage submissions. All the other considerations come later.

Practical issues:
1) What funds do you have?
2) What's your potential readership?
3) Which rights do you intend to retain re: submitted work?
4) How stringent is your submission criteria?
5) How often will you release a new edition?

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you mean something like this?

http://www.ysu.edu/penguin-review/index.html

This is what we have at my school. I was a co-art editor last year. We just accepted submissions of poems, short stories, written excerpts of longer works, and all kinds of art. Then we all went through the submissions and chose the best stuff to put in the publication.

One of the funding issues we came across was that we only had enough money to put four of the artworks in color; the rest had to be in black and white. Of course, we had to check with the artists to make sure they were willing to have their work in black and white.

That's all I know about it. Good luck with yours!

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

Yeah, similar to that. Editors is a good point. I think I'll hit the English Student Association for that, and for some funding. The rights that most journals that I've seen are first publishing rights or first publishing rights in North America, after which the copyright reverts to the author. I was thinking that at first we'll only be able to release the journal on an annual basis, partly because I expect that we may not have enough submissions to release it any more frequently, and also because it would be better to test what we're doing if we only plan for once a year.

I know that all the journals I've seen only run their artwork in black and white, save for the cover.

Thanks for the ideas, I really appreciate them!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.