FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dangerous Fish

Author Topic: Dangerous Fish
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Why oh why have we poisoned our fish? I grew up in a fishing family, I LOVE LOVE LOVE seafood, and it's important for fetal brain development. BUT, now that humanity has allowed such poisoning of the ocean and other waters, I can't eat the fish from my local rivers, I can't eat the salmon my Gramps catches in Lake Michigan, I can't eat my FAVORITE fish - swordfish, and I have to be careful with tuna (recommended only to be eaten once a week by women of childbearing age). Sometimes I hate humanity, especially when the polluters are NOT the ones who pay for their sins. It's us innocent pregnant women and fetuses who have to abstain from formerly healthy foods. I'm MAD!
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
<--- always been poisonous
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's always farm raised catfish. . .
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
But you have to PEEL catfish... *whines*
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
What about salmon and whitefish (cod, perch, etc.)?
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

Salmon you have to be careful where it's caught. I don't think most whitefish are as dangerous, but you still have to be careful. I know Lake Michigan perch are a big no-no. And ANY fish caught in certain areas (much of Indiana for instance)is off-limits to pregnant women. Too much heavy metal and other contaminants in the fish's flesh. All highly teratogenic. ROAR!

And I love perch! And walleye. And bluegill. Anything fresh-caught. Mmmmm!

unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
*glad she is allergic to shellfish and that she doesn't like fish*
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

You poor, poor thing.
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
*is glad she doesn't like fish either.*
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
where do they get the salmon for sushi then? doesn't it have to be uber fresh in order to make good sushi?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
Its only albacore tuna. You can eat a bit more of the other kind.

I don't like seafood, but we've been trying to introduce more of it into our diet and I know I was pretty frustrated and confused by the recommendations. Its not like a lot of what you buy TELLS you where it was caught either.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

And even then, if they DO say where it's caught, are you supposed to keep a list with you that tells where the safe and dangerous places are?
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by fugu13:
<--- always been poisonous

[ROFL]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.