FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wild Foods

Author Topic: Wild Foods
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
There's just something about wild foods - stuff you catch or hunt or discover in Nature. It's so incredibly tasty and pleasurable. What are some of your favorite wild foods?

Some of mine, all of which I or my family have gathered from the wild:

fresh-caught fish
spiny lobsters
seaweed
asparagus
chives
puffball mushrooms
morels
venison
pheasant
raspberries
sassafrass root beer

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know asparagus grew in the wild. . . and I didn't know that you could eat puffball mushrooms. Aren't those little things also call 'devil's snuffboxes?'
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
poke greens are my favorite wild food. (of course, picked very young, and cooked much like spinach -- you can't eat it when it gets older and begins to have the purple tinge).

I also like cattail tubers -- they taste kind of like cucumber.

(yes, I used to be a huge fan of Euell Gibbons).

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
The asparagus may have escaped from somebody's garden, but now it grows wild in a ditch. The puffballs are edible before their spores are ripe. I don't know all their common names.
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Wild onions.

But be careful -- there's another plant that looks similar, but which is poisonous.

Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, I have a book called "Native harvests," which has recipes for all sorts of things like poke and cattail.

I love this certain kind of leafy plany. Not purslane, though that is edible, but this grows in with grass and has a clovery look to it, but bigger.

Oh, and clover. I love clover.

And honeysuckle.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Wild strawberries in Montana (the thistles were really tasty too)

I don't know if it really counts as wild, but the bamboo I bought a couple weeks ago I've been told is really tasty. [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe asparagus is native to North Amerca. I will check my book.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather used to take us out into the rural areas west of town and drive up and down the roads very slowly, stopping every once in a while to pick asparagus that was growing wild by the roadside ditches.
Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Black and blueberries.

Clover tea

Dandelion greens, in small amounts.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Wild strawberries and blueberries are so much better than the cultivated varieties.

Black raspberries

Crawdads.

I can take or leave fiddleheads.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I love picking stuff and eating it!
[Smile]

My favorites:

berries
chives
wintergreen (made tea out of the berries one time... SO good!)
peaches (they used to be cultivated, but they hadn't been touched for years)

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
sorrell. mmmmmmmm.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I adore fresh peppermint.

I've made sumacberry tea, and it was a bit tart. I've also chowed down on wild fiddleheads, pears, and grapes. Raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries also come to mind.

I love wild food.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But be careful -- there's another plant that looks similar, but which is poisonous.
Death Camas. But it's pretty easy to tell them apart by smell.

An indian friend of mine showed us how to prepare green cattail heads (like the brown part before it's brown) by cutting them off of the stem and cooking them in butter and salt. It's very tasty and he said that it was a traditional cure for cancers!

I also must speak up for the wild hucklberry. The wild huckleberry is proof that God loves us and wants us to tromp around in the mountains.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
wild blackberries..... yum
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christy
Member # 4397

- posted      Profile for Christy   Email Christy         Edit/Delete Post 
My old coworker and I used to get laughed at at work because we love the smell of red clover silage. It has this brown sugary acidic smell that I think is quite pleasant, but I guess not everyone finds it so. Almost like baking brownies. [Smile]

I always wanted to make Echinacea or chammomile tea, but I like the flowers/plants so much that I've never had the heart to destroy them. There is NOTHING like wild berries, though. Yum!

Not so big on the mushrooms and other beasties. Definitely more of a gatherer than a hunter.

Posts: 1777 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.