FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Seeking help from California Hatrackers...

Author Topic: Seeking help from California Hatrackers...
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all,

Most of you don't know me because I don't have time to post much anymore but I was hoping I could get some help from those of you on the West Coast. You see I am getting married in July and we, well more she than I [Wink] chose to visit Los Angles for our honeymoon. We currently live in Virginia and neither of us has ever been to California so we figured this would as good a time as ever. I am trying to find some information about interesting places to go. I would just love to impress her with some inside knowledge about the best places to walk on the beach or watch the sea, or to get a nice romantic dinner, or just even the normal must-see touristy stuff (i.e. not just the sappy stuff).
I have tried to find all this online but all I get are advertisments which are well, just that. Anyone have an insider's perspective on this? Any help would be appreciated.

Pal

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you need to see the sunset over the Santa Monica pier. [Smile] Seriously, there's nothing like it, and then after dark, there are usually bands playing or you can ride the Ferris Wheel and stuff. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(Yes, I'm currently in Texas, but I grew up in So. Cal., and was married just a few miles from that pier, actually, at the Los Angeles Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. Their visitors' center usually has interesting stuff to look at, if you're interested. [Smile] )
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and if she likes to shop, Santa Monica has lots of funky little awesome shops, too.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmmm, there's a great French restaurant in LA called Taix (pronounced "Tay", to rhyme with "bay"), where the service is wonderful, the food is good, and the atmosphere is nice.
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite fond of The Getty. And it's free! [although lunch prices at the cafe are museum-level prices (but not coompletely outrageous)].
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Parking is $7, but it's worth it. [Smile] Also, check out The Huntington; gorgeous this time of year, and the exhibits are awesome, too. If you like someplace small, beautiful, and quiet to walk around and enjoy gardens (during the week, at least; it can get mobbed on weekends) my favorite is Descanso Gardens. (Of course, I don't know where in LA you'd be staying; these are on the side of town I grew up in.)
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
Knott's Berry Farm

Anaheim Angels

Huntington Beach

Newport Beach (which is home to my favorite restaurant: "The Crab Cooker")

Disneyland (although Knott's kicks Disney's can)

I'll think of more...

[ May 11, 2005, 03:13 PM: Message edited by: scottneb ]

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

If your feeling like taking a little trip, you could go to Stateline, NV and ride what was once the tallest Roller Coaster in the world.
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I am not a fan of Knott's. And Magic Mountain is just like every other Six Flags theme park. But totally do Disneyland if you've never been; it's expensive, but sooooo worth it. It's, like, magical. Really. Mobbed with people, but soooo awesome.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, but ignore Disney's California Adventure. It's not worth it at all. It bites hard.
scottneb
Member # 676

I second that!
PaladinVirtue
Member # 6144

- posted      Profile for PaladinVirtue   Email PaladinVirtue         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all! Some great suggestions. I am all about the Crab Cooker.... And Santa Monica sounds like a nice afternoon (shopping) and early evening (sunset [Cool] ) spot.

I know that she would like to see some "stars" Are there any good places to see movie stars? Preferably from a distance so that she dosn't embarrass herself...or me [Wink]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

One quick note about The Crab Cooker:

You need to be there early! They have benches along the outside for a reason.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Hmmm. Well, my sister used to see "stars" walking their dogs outside of UCLA occasionally... I don't think that helps you, though. Well, you can always go to the really expensive boutiques in Beverly Hills, you might see a few. Or you might not. But either way, you'll be amazed how much people pay for stuff just to be cool.

There are tours you can take, but honestly, they're not worth it. Unless she just wants to gawk at places where famous people lived, in which case, go for it. [Smile]

What else are you interested in? If you give some more specific preferences, I'm sure we can help ya out.

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Places to eat

I assume you are pretty familiar with our marquee features like Spagos so I won't talk about our more famous fany smancy restaurants. All I will say is that Valentino's, the Stinking Rose, and the Watergrill are not worth the steep price of admission.

Inn of the Seventh Ray - This is one of the best outdoor restaurants in socal. The food is ok but you are really there for the ambience. You can get a table right next to a babbling brook. There are private gazebos that are great for newlywed canoodling. Think Rivendale with omelets. [Smile] It gets pretty hot here in July so I recommend going at night or for an early brunch. City Search Profile.

Hotel Bel Air - Probably the most luxurious and romantic hotel I've ever been to. The privacy and the views are top notch. The service is absolutely incredible. Your wife will feel like she is a princess [Smile] The food is good but over priced.

Cafe Bizou - Probably the most popular French restaurant in southern California. Get delicious French cuisine without the high prices and snooty waiters. Expect a long waiting period even with reservations. The restaurant is very crowded and lively, so not exactly a romantic spot. The food is awesome though.

My favorite dish is the lobster linguini. It is not always on the menu, but if you ask the right waiter they will know how to prepare it (sometimes I call it that "lobster pasta thing" and they understand what I'm asking for).

Counter Intelligence: Where to Eat in the Real LA - This is a great book to get if you want to know all the tiny hole-in-the-wall ethnic food places in LA. Without it, you would miss gems like Magic Carpet, Mandarin Deli, Versailles, Pink's, Fat Burger, and Shau Mai. If you are into culinary adventure, this book is a great investment. [Smile]

Places to Go

Hollywood Bowl

Get a bottle of wine, some blankets, and listen to music from Gershwin to Tchaikovsky under the stars. I recommend the weekend fireworks spectaculars, but those tickets sell out quickly so you might have to buy them way in advance. I have to warn you though, the Bowl is catered to families so if you get annoyed easily by kids running around, this experience is not for you. There's really no need to get expensive tickets. I usually sit in the bleachers and have a really great time.

Gondola Ride - I have never done this myself but it sounds really romantic. [Smile]

IMAX - This theater shows a lot of regular movies on their IMAX screen. I've seen the Two Towers on this IMAX screen and was blown away. If you are coming in July, Star Wars may still be playing here so you may want to check it out. *sigh* This is such a geeky suggestion.

Star Watching

Movie Premiers - The schedule in that website is updated every week so you should check it frequently. The premiers at the Village Theater (Westwood) are the best. You won't be able to get a ticket to the premier, but you can stand outside to get a glimpse of stars working the red carpet. You do have to compete against some rowdy college students though. [Smile]

TV Tapings - It's a crap shoot really. I once got tickets to a Mad About You taping but still had to wait in line when I got there. I never got in because they ran out of space, so be prepared for overbookings. If you feel lucky, you can go to the Gruman's Chinese theater. There are always people there looking to fill up seats at some unknown tv pilot.

Century City Mall - My friends have spotted Katie Holmes, Magic Johnson, Christina Aguilera, and Charisma Carpenter at this mall. The chance of you spotting someone on the day of your visit is probably pretty slim though. But there are some decent shops so it won't be a complete waste of your time.

Beaches

I'm not a big beach going person so I can't offer a lot of great advice.

You may spot some stars at beaches in Malibu. I once saw Christina Aguilera taping her video "Genie in a Bottle" at a Malibu beach.

According to Forbes, the beach on Catalina island is the only California beach to make their "best beaches" list.

quote:
Catalina Island, located off the coast of California, boasts 48 miles of coastline as well as a lost-in-time quality. There's only one town--Avalon--no chain stores and very little traffic. It's also beautifully preserved because Bill Wrigley Jr., who built the town of Avalon, turned 86% of the island into a nature conservancy. The snorkeling off Catalina Island is superb, or visitors can explore the island by kayaking. Stay at the Inn on Mt. Ada, which is the home that Wrigley built for his wife. Rates start at $340.
Edited to add: OH yeah, congratulations. [Smile]

[ May 11, 2005, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LadyDove
Member # 3000

- posted      Profile for LadyDove   Email LadyDove         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Century City Mall as the best place to star gaze. I've seen Geena Davis and Dana Carvey there. They were just doing some shopping with family or friends. I also saw some dude with a face that looked famous and he had an entourage with him. Didn't know him from Adam.

My favorite restaurant at Century City Mall is Dim Sum and Then Some. On Saturday and Sunday it is an all you can eat dim sum cafe and it's very tasty! While you're there, it's also worth a trip into Gelson's, the supermarket in the mall. This is no ordinary supermarket. It has a fabulous chocolate and desert section and the coolest selection of fruit I've ever seen.

Off of Ocean View in Santa Monica, across from the Bali Health Spa, there is a wonderful Northern Italian restaurant called Il Forno. The food is unbelieveably tasty and light. They have pizza that is as close to real Italian pizza as I've ever had outside of Italy. The fish is fresh, the bread is hot and the sauces are unique and memorable. It has both a family and a dimly lit romantic section. If eating in the same building counts, then I can claim to have had dinner with Alan Alda at Il Forno.

For the best Cuban food in LA, I'd suggest Versailles at Venice and Motor in Culver City. It has wonderful garlic roast chicken and pork. They don't take reservations, so you'll have to stand in line, but it's worth the wait.

The theatre is always a nice diversion. There are many small theatres in LA and the tickets will run about $20-$30 each for a good seat. As soon as you get into town, see if you can grab the LA Times Calendar Section from the Sunday Edition so that you can get a list of current titles, locations and times.

There are a million limo services in LA, so the rates are fairly competitive and the equipment is pretty impressive. Any evening is enhanced by the luxury of being able to cuddle while travelling. Not having to search for parking is also a big plus.

Congrats and I hope you have a great time in Los Angeles.

Posts: 2425 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Go to the other Versailles, the one on La Cienega. (Map here.) Much less crowded most of the day; and go for an early or late lunch (like, 11 am or 2 pm); if you don't go at peak hours, there's no waiting. The garlic chicken is enough for two (or generous leftovers) unless you are ravenous or pregnant or nursing. [Smile] I suggest being ravenous.

While you're in the area, there are some cool museums around there.

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no suggestions, never having been to LA myself.

But congrats on your upcoming nuptials! [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmm, if you're in for some awesome Mexican fast food, and are anywhere near Studio City, check out Tortas Mexico. (Actually, I've never been to that one, since my mom lives in La Crescenta and my dad lives in Tujunga, but the only reason I can see you'd be over that way is if you spend some time in Pasadena, and there are sooo many great places to eat in Pasadena, I'm not sure you'd make it all the way up to La Crescenta. [Wink] And you may pass through Studio City on the way to somewhere else, so check it out if you do.)
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

If you do stop by Pasadena, make sure you check out the Cobbler Factory. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
If you stop by Pasadena, come see The D at his work, at Wheatberry Bakery & Cafe! (Yeah, it's been a long time since I've posted, you'll live...).

D.

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
The D is alive! Praise be!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

Did I miss anything?
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, while we're talking Pasadena, a Pasadena must-do is Pie 'n Burger. [Big Grin]
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
educate me re: pie n' burger!

why is this a "must-do"?

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Damien:
Did I miss anything?

Eh, this and that. How's life treatin' ya?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and this may be obvious, but have an In 'n' Out Double Double with some fries and a milkshake before you leave CA. Best. Fast food chain. Ever.
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
The D is alive! Praise be!

yeah, what she said [Cool]
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
educate me re: pie n' burger!

why is this a "must-do"?

Because it's a wonderful place! It's something like 40 years old, and mostly the same now as it was then. Most importantly, the recipes are the same! It's a really wonderful burger, and the other food is great as well. (I recommend the potato salad.) And after your burger, there's pie for dessert! Like, 10 to 15 kinds of pie to choose from! You can get it cold or hot, plain or a la mode. The pie is great, too, just a tad less worthy of praise than my grandma's. (And that's saying something; my grandma makes a wonderful pie!)

Of course, I may be a bit biased, being a pie person myself. But even if you don't like pie, the other food is wonderful. If you like a good burger, it's the place to go in Pasadena. Well, Wolf Burger is good, too, but this place is even better. Okay, and of course Fat Burger. But Pie 'n Burger is best of all!

For vegetarians, they do serve a veggie burger, or you can go and just enjoy the pie.

Damien
Member # 5611

quote:
Originally posted by rivka:
quote:
Originally posted by Damien:
Did I miss anything?

Eh, this and that. How's life treatin' ya?
S'alright.

As for pie'n'whatever, I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised at how good the veggie burger was. It's not too far from my work/PCC campus/etc. :}

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Yay, another In 'n' Out fan. [Cool]
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
The best sushi and tempura place I've ever eaten is Miya Sushi which is at the corner of Magnolia and Laurel Canyon. My ex's mother is Japanese and she says it's extremely authentic. They're not too bad as far as price goes, either, and have a very small, very friendly ambience.

I'm so homesick for their food....

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*hi-fives Beren*

*sings*

In 'N' Out,
In 'N' Ou-out,
That's what a hamburger's
All about!!!

Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

Now I have the munchies. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Me, too-- and I'm more than 1000 miles from the nearest In 'N' Out. [Cry]
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
You can't miss the La Brea Tar Pits. Really. Fascinating place, and they're surrounded by two great museums, the Page Museum, which displays some of the fossils dug out of the tar pits and the L.A. County Art Museum. I think the Griffith Park Observatory will still be closed for rennovations while you are in L.A., but I believe they have some sort of facility set up with exhibits while the main building is closed. I suppose I'm partial, but these are the places I grew up. Griffith Park, by the way, also has the L.A. Zoo, the Greek Theater, and Travel Town.

If you get a chance to get out of L.A. County, you might also want to visit the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Museum in Simi Valley (Ventura County). Even if you aren't a fan of the late ex-president, the library is in a beautiful location on top of a hill and generally has some interesting exhibits.

And, added because I missed this the first time through:

quote:
Are there any good places to see movie stars? Preferably from a distance so that she dosn't embarrass herself...or me
Actually, a trip to Disneyland might do the trick. I've seen celebrities several times when I've been at Disneyland. Another idea is to take a studio tour. Star sightings aren't guaranteed, but you never know. My own personal favorite tour is the one at the NBC studio out in Burbank. The other things is to just keep your eyes open. Celebrities are actually just normal, real people. You never know when you might see someone you recognize out shopping or driving or doing something else completely normal.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by littlemissattitude:
You can't miss the La Brea Tar Pits. Really. Fascinating place, and they're surrounded by two great museums, the Page Museum, which displays some of the fossils dug out of the tar pits and the L.A. County Art Museum.

[Blushing] Considering I pass by these most days, I can't believe I didn't think to mention them. The Peterson Automotive Museum is a couple blocks away, too.

There's a reason the area is called Museum Row. [Big Grin]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

And that's not too far from Versailles. [Big Grin]

LACMA has a very cool Asian Art section, including an awesome collection of miniatures from Japan housed in their own little building.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You and your love are going to have far too many choices. [Big Grin] How long are you staying? And when? Hopefully, we'll be out there by then...

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.