FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Praising His Name, or Taking It In Vain? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Praising His Name, or Taking It In Vain?
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by lem:
I don't mind big Jesus signs that I think look cheezy. Regardless what their motives are, it does not bother nor offend me. It is part of the decoration of the society I live in.

It reminds of the values of my fellow citizens.

Except "JESUS" isn't a value. And I think your comment is narrowing down for me why this bothers me. I wouldn't mind it if it said "REPENT", or "LOVE", or "CHARITY" or "PEACE". I think religion might have a more constructive and relevant place in the world at large if it spent more time proclaiming these things than in proclaiming "JESUS" or "BUDDHA" or "ALLAH" or whomever. Wouldn't it be nice if all the churches emphasized and tried to reinforce the points most of us (Athiests included) can agree on rather than arguing about which long dead guy was the official bringer of the universal truths? Wouldn't it be nice if the emphasis was on the message rather than the messenger?
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Jesus isn't important to Christianity for what he taught.

He is important to Christianity for what he did.

Without the atonement, Jesus becomes just another martyr who taught such-and-such. And there are plenty of those-- most of Jesus' teachings aren't that original.

The atonement, however, is. And it is the heart of Christianity-- the redemption of man to God, through the intermission of Jesus Christ.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

I'd argue that to most Christians he's important for both what he did and what he taught, unless one is one of those "Accept Jesus and be saved and nothing else matters" kind of Christian.

And again, if what you state is the reason for the word "JESUS" on the rooftop, my original "what's the point?" holds true. Presumably anyone who would recognize the name already knows what he did. If they don't, how are they going to glean that from the name alone? To whom are they speaking? If to one another, then it's the equivalent - in my mind - of talking loudly on your cellphone in an elevator. If to non-Christians, well it really comes across as simple partisan bragging.

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
There seem to be a lot of partisan issues that go along with religion today.
I had someone tell me because I was a democrat I was going to hell. I asked why, they said, because I didn't believe in jesus and I killed babies.
I informed them that I had never killed anybody and that I did believe in jesus, but not blindly.
Faith is all well and good, but to ignore reality is just plain stupid. We can't deny science, but we can blend it with our faith. There was a discussion with OSC across the forum about religion and the truth of the bible, and even he admitted a lot of it was stories and metaphors and you have to discover the hidden meanings rather then openly buying that the world is less the 5000 years old.
There are points where religious attitudes get so overbearing that they are hypocritical. I am not sure if the giant jesus, or your light up sign is that point, but at the point where, because I have a different view of my faith, I am a baby killer, or those people who have bumper stickers that denounce non-christians or brag about the fact that they are christian, that is where you cross the line from good religious expression to intolerance, which means they are huge hypocrites... You can't even begin to count how many times, jesus preached tolerance, yet how many times did he go against abortion or democrats? It was practiced then(well maybe not democracy), yet he didn't talk about that, and unfortunetely many of today's religious fanatics have forgotten that tiny little fact.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
You can't even begin to count how many times, jesus preached tolerance
Define 'tolerance' and I'll give it my best shot.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Well, if we're being literal, you really can't. You can merely count surviving recorded instances of his preaching tolerance. [Razz]
Scott R
Member # 567

:grumbles:

razzum-frazzum-frickle. . .

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
throws a bucket of ice water at everyone.

Calm down people!

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

Who's not calm?

I mean before the ice water got thrown.

Scott R
Member # 567

No kidding. I'ma go lay on some hands now!
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm cold and I'm wet and I'm hysterical!!!
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do I find that disturbingly attractive?
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
*throws ice water on Dan*
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I was only paraphrasing The Producers.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, right. Like no one's ever used that excuse before.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dean
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for dean   Email dean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Whenever I see an Anti-Christian propaganda sheet on the back of a bumper, while the driver is swearing a blue streak, mostly using the Lord's name in vain, I laugh.
A) I've never seen a car covered in anti-christian propaganda before. Can you give some examples?

B) I don't really see why that would be hypocritical on the part of such a person. If you hate Christians (or Christianity, which is more likely), why would it be hypocritical to use the name of a Christian diety as a cussword? It seems to me that if that person otherwise claimed to be Christian, using their own diety as a cussword would be a lot more hypocritical.

Posts: 1751 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.