FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Congratulations Professor Card

Author Topic: Congratulations Professor Card
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
He's finally listened to the siren call of academia.

It's about dang time you saw the error of your wayward ways and returned to the ivory tower.

[Okay, so that's a bit of a joke. For those who don't click on links -- OSC has accepted a distinguished professorship at Southern Virginia University, an LDS-oriented liberal arts college. It's not like he joined the faculty of Columbia or Yale or some other university filled with the types of academics he has expressed distaste for.]

----

So Prof. Card -- would you be willing to share any details about how you are going to approach the teaching of literature?

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, they didn't list his Master's degree from University of Utah ...
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Cluff decided at the workshop that Card, who holds a Master of Arts in English from the University of Utah, should be invited to teach literature as well as writing courses.
Yes they did.

Edit: And also, I hope you're going to be a great teacher, Prof. Card! [Hat]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!!!

Oh, this is perfect for him.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
For him? Think of all the lucky students! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

Not the best sentence for that type of appossitive, though -- you don't stick something like that in the middle of your explanation of how the whole thing happened.

Still -- not a bad news release. I've seen worse. Of course, if SVU hires me to do their pr, then things like that won't happen.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Rat Named Dog
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for A Rat Named Dog   Email A Rat Named Dog         Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, missed that early reference. I just skimmed to the end and noticed that the only thing there was the BA [Smile]
Posts: 1907 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, cool! I had a friend who went to SVU and loved it.

Congratulations!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool Beans!

I was just wondering - aren't university professors required to have a pHD? or is that just recommended?

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

kai:

It depends on the discipline. But, in general, distinguished writing professors [or writers-in-residence] don't have doctoral degrees -- their credential is the work they've done, you know, actually writing fiction.

OSC will also be teaching literature classes, but toss in the MA + career and that's more than enough.

And lecturers don't necessarily have to have a PdD. I have an MA. Technically, I could teach freshmen and sophomore level writing and literature classes. I don't know many [if any] universities, however, that would hire me to teach upper division and graduate courses.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
yay, I might go for that college someday then. I'd love to take a class with OSC as my teacher.
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, SVU has now taken one step in becoming a school I can actually take seriously.

Unfortunately, one step isn't nearly enough.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee, hee. My husband and I were just discussing why people would decide to go to SVU as opposed to BYU when we saw an ad for it between sessions of General Conference (which we watched at my in-laws' house; they have BYU TV on their satellite dish-- that's the reason they got satellite, in fact). Now there's actually a GOOD reason!

[ May 12, 2005, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
I also had one professor who only had a BS, but he only taught freshman and sophomore classes.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>> My husband and I were just discussing why people would decide to go to SVU as opposed to BYU <<

Better scenery.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

SVU needs to prove that it can obtain and maintain accreditation from a respected accrediting body, but I can think of many reasons to go there over BYU.

The first and foremost is that it has managed to develop a critical mass of LDS students and faculty -- and yet isn't in the Intermountain West.

The second is that -- because of its size -- it's truly a liberal arts school.

For background on SVU, see this Q&A with SVU President Rodney Smith.

Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My husband and I were just discussing why people would decide to go to SVU as opposed to BYU
It's probably getting to the point where not everybody can get into BYU or BYU-Idaho.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
That's Frickin' sweet. 'spose he's gonna crak down on speling and watnot now? [Big Grin]
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Why would he want to do more work? He's already got three jobs!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
My best friend's daughter is going to SVU next fall... I sent her the link and told her to make sure she tries to get into his class...
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, congrats, Prof!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to be arrogant and link to this.
Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
[Dont Know] I hope he's not a tough grader.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat]
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy moly!
Congrats OSC!
[The Wave]

Set that new wave of barbarians to city life! [Smile]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.