FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Good gifts for a two-year-old?

Author Topic: Good gifts for a two-year-old?
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
I am really new to this buying gifts for toddlers thing. But my nephew just turned two, and his party is on Saturday. So far I've gotten him books and musical toys and fun bath putty soap stuff for this other birthday and two Christmases. I'm...well, I'm out of ideas. I'd be more than happy to buy him more books (he likes them, and they're good for him) but I have no idea of which books are developmentally appropriate for this age. Infants was easy - anything they can chew on. [Wink] Now he's talking, and I just don't know what's best.

Any advice or recommendations at all would be so wonderful.

Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot Fudge Sauce
Member # 8025

- posted      Profile for Hot Fudge Sauce           Edit/Delete Post 
Duplos. Little kids love those. [Smile] Especially if they have the little people that go with them.
Posts: 19 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Does he have the "If You Give a Moose a Muffin" (Mouse a Cookie, Pig a Pancake, etc) books yet?
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
My two-year-old son loves the big Winnie the Pooh book we got him from Sam's Club. It has a read-along CD and songs in between the stories. Of course, he likes all things Winnie the Pooh, especially the movie. He also likes Clifford and Sesame Street books.

We get him non-fiction picture books about cars and airplanes, too, and he loves to look at those.

Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Taily-po! Taily-po! Give me back my taily-po! [Big Grin]

Where the Wild Things Are is good, too.

Curious George.

I'm remembering all my favorites, and my brother's favorites, from age 2.

Things with a simple story and a nice solid rhyme scheme are good.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
OMG!

I just realised my brother's birthday is today!
I still haven't gotten him a gift, and I'm broke. [Frown]

And as far as books go, Dr. Seuss is always a good choice. [Smile]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Strega Nona. We loved Strega Nona. When the spaghetti overran the village, we never failed to laugh.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
Duplo blocks. Get the big 100block plain-jane set. They've got all kinds of silly alternatives that don't give you nearly enough blocks, but look glitzy and are more expensive. Don't get those. Get the big 100 block bag. It's the best long-term toy. (Duplo blocks are like legos that grew up.) My 3 year old plays with hers all the time even though she's had them for over a year. I like toys that have a long play life.

Simple puzzles. I'm particularly fond of the Melissa & Doug wooden ones. The best of these are the ones that have doors that open, concealing magnets. They make ones with simple shapes also and are easy to manipulate with toddler hands.

Hats, mittens, socks, scarves. Toddlers love to practice putting on clothes. Different hats in a box would make a great gift.

Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
My boy is going to turn 2 next month! He loves toy cars like nothing else. He also loves his animal "Baby Einstien" video.
But he absolutely adores his marble machine . He's really good at not putting things in his mouth, I don't know about your nephew though.

I'm thinking about getting my boy a rocking horse for his birthday or Finding Nemo ... it's pretty sad that that is his absolutely favorite movie and we don't even own it. I was also thinking about getting him a little train . One of his first words are "Choo choo".

Also sunglasses might be a good choice.. seeing as Summer is coming. My toddler loves to go straight to the sunglasses whenever we go to the store and tries them on.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My brother had a Mickey Mouse doll that had big buttons, zippers, shoelaces, snaps, etc. to fasten and unfasten. He liked that at 2. I wonder if they still make them.

I agree on the Duplos. Too bad they don't make the Fisher Price people castle any more; if you find it at a yard sale, snap it up!

Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Cookies.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

2 year olds are usually getting into dress-up play. A firefighter or police officer dress-up set with age-safe accessories would be a gift used for years to come.
jeniwren
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for jeniwren   Email jeniwren         Edit/Delete Post 
kq, you can find dolls like that, but so far, I've been really underwealmed with them. Most of them break too easily or are too hard to use. I'd almost be more inclined to find something like that at a craft bazaar from someone who makes them by hand.
Posts: 5948 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't get your nephew any kind of toy that makes loud, obnoxious noise. The parents will not appreciate that. I second the duplo blocks. Our kids have those out all the time. Wooden blocks are also played with very often, although good blocks are usually kind of expensive.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
TONKAS!!! Not the new generation of crappy plastic ones, metal ones. They last forever!

I would ask before getting movies or anything electronic.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just don't get your nephew any kind of toy that makes loud, obnoxious noise.
As a matter of fact, this is the description of many of the gifts my little brothers and I give our nieces. Just a little amusement from the unchilded siblings.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one word for you, kat....KARMA!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz] Katie

If he likes books, they are always a good choice. Duplos are cool. Thomas (almost 2!) loves to color. He is getting to the point where he pretends, so things that can feed into that are awesome. Thomas got a grocery cart with some 'food' in it, and he spent the time before bed making me 'beckfast'. [Smile]

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends on how you feel about the child's parents.

Skateboards and tennis balls have been memorable gifts in the past. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Lincoln Logs
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a Teddy-bear. It's the most fabulous gift you can do.
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
A refrigerator box.
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Veggie Tales tapes with matching stuffed toys.

BEST cartoon about vegetables EVER.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vána
Member # 6593

- posted      Profile for Vána   Email Vána         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the great ideas, guys! I was totally clueless, but this helps a lot. [Smile]
Posts: 3214 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Go to Wal-Mart, buy bubbles. Then go to the bank and buy a savings bond. He's going to get a ton of stupid gifts that he will break and ignore in a week. However, when he's trying to buy a new car 14 years from now, or pay for college 16 years from now, you will be the coolest aunt ever.

[Edit, besides, he has no idea who the gifts are from at this point and time, nor will he remember any of it later.]

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kayla:
Go to Wal-Mart, buy bubbles. Then go to the bank and buy a savings bond. He's going to get a ton of stupid gifts that he will break and ignore in a week. However, when he's trying to buy a new car 14 years from now, or pay for college 16 years from now, you will be the coolest aunt ever.

[Edit, besides, he has no idea who the gifts are from at this point and time, nor will he remember any of it later.]

Seconded. [Smile]
Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
finger paints, finger paint paper, and an easle... easel... er... OK no idea how to spell that, everything looks wrong when written (curses my dyslexic brain)
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Dinosaurs! Anything dinosaurs!

Has anyone suggested something Star Wars yet? Raise him up right. [Razz]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BotaLadyG
Member # 7053

- posted      Profile for BotaLadyG   Email BotaLadyG         Edit/Delete Post 
I will third the option of bubbles and a savings bond... those are good choices.

My lil man is 17 months and I just picked up this Crayola Color wonders set at Wal-mart... the markers only work on the special paper and nothing else (I love the stain free laundry).

Nicole

Posts: 115 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

Oh, yeah, the savings bonds! My brother in law gets each kid one for their birthdays, plus a gift card.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.