FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Tech Question - Getting Video Footage To My Computer

Author Topic: Tech Question - Getting Video Footage To My Computer
docmagik
Member # 1131

- posted      Profile for docmagik   Email docmagik         Edit/Delete Post 
So, o ye who art savvier than I:

What's the best (and/or least expensive) way to get video footage from my plain, non-digital video camera onto my computer?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
I second that.

*slides mack 5 points in the midst of a handshake*

Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Get one of these.
I have one in my computer. Let's me hook my PS2 up to the computer so I can use it like a TV> if you have the three connector audio video cable running from your camcorder, it has an adapter to let you use is as a composite input. Very handy little device.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Non-digital video camera? Oh, dear.

Well, I had a couple things on VHS that I needed to get into the computer to burn onto DVDs. So I got it from the VCR to my digital video camera, and then from my camera to the computer.

You just need something to go between the camera and the computer. In my case, I used a digital video camera. The thing Boris mentioned looks like it would work. Or you can get an analog/digital converter, which are $100-150.

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

I tried using magic, but not I can't even see my monitor through all the hart's blood.

What about USB cables like this that come with software? Are they any good, or do they create a "specific" format I couldn't use w/ other video editing software?

Posts: 1894 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know a USB could do that! Sounds good to me.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
USB devices will almost always drop more frames than PCI cards. If you care about the quality of your video, and you're stuck with an analog source, you will buy a good PCI video-in card.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scottneb
Member # 676

- posted      Profile for scottneb           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by docmagik:
I tried using magic, but not I can't even see my monitor through all the hart's blood.

I bet you weren't holding your lucky rabbit's foot, huh?
Posts: 1660 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docmagik
Member # 1131

Oh, I was supposed to hold it.

I'll have to go get another one.

Thanks, everybody.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.