FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Advice on drain clog

Author Topic: Advice on drain clog
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
I need help. My roommate, who has since moved out, poured the remains of his deep fry cooker down the drain. I now have a massive grease clog that bubbles up whenever I run water. I have already tried drano and it did nothing. I really don't want to have to pay to have it fixed, any suggestions?

Thanks

Theresa

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I've found that the most effective way to get rid of clogs is boiling water. Get a big pot to a fast boil, and then pour it slowly but steadily down the drain. (Slowly so it doesn't just back up.) You might need to do it a few times to clear out the entire drain, and with that much grease it might not work at all, but it's probably your best bet.

And hi, welcome to hatrack. [Smile]

Added: Be careful not to scald yourself on the steam as you're pouring. That hurts.

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
try running a toilet snake down the drain
Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always heard good things about cola -- not sure it'd be effective against grease though...
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the welcome and the advice. I think I am going to try the boiling water first. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Theresa

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Important:

If the blockage is total, the chemical treatments will not work. Some of them will make matters worse by forming a hardened plug on top of the existing clog. Worse, they'll sit their and corrode your pipes.

There are some biological (bacterial) clog removers made especially for organic clogs (grease, hair, etc.)

Snaking works as well.

As long as you haven't already put caustic chemicals into the mix, you should try the simplest things first: -- use a plunger. If that forces the clog to move it'll get out eventually. Worst case, you'll have to snake it anyway.

WARNING: If you already put drain clearing chemicals down in there, don't use a plunger. The back splash could be VERY DANGEROUS and come at you with unexpected force. Be Careful!!!

The cost of the bacteriological stuff is not too bad and, really, worst case, you can use it as a clog preventive measure, so it's not wasted money even if you do go ahead an buy some.

Good luck!!!

Here's a link to the bacteria stuff

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

Thanks again for all the advice. I have tried the boiling water method and it seems to have helped somewhat. The water drains a bit slow still but it is no longer bubbling grease back up at me. I have a friend who is much more mechanically/plumbing inclined who has agreed to come over tomorrow and try to snake it out if it is still slow. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I don't want to mix any more chemicals in it as that appears to cause lots of problems. If snaking doesn't work I think I will resort to calling the landlord and hoping he doesn't charge me an arm and a leg. If he does, I am handing the bill over to my ex-roommate.

Theresa

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't realize this was a rental. If your landlord is anything like my last one, he'll be happier to have you call than to try home-fixes the next time this happens. Sure, it might cost you a bit, and at the very least you'll have to listen to his grumbling about how you shouldn't put xxx down the drain...

But really, if he knows what's good for him, he'll thank you for NOT adding chemicals to the system.

Since you're already into this project, try the snake. Since you've got at least SOME flow, you can try the plunger too. Which really should be the 1st thing you try in future.

Just still be careful with any back splash that might happen. If you get hit in the face or eyes, you'll want to rinse with cold water immediately. So...if this is your only sink, maybe you should have a bucket or fill the tub with some clean cool water first.

But really, if the thing is flowing even a little bit, the chemical junk is probably already gone down the drain and you can safely use the plunger.

My big drain story from college days:

My brother's then girlfriend dumped hot fondue cheese down the sink. A bathroom sink, no less. On the second floor of a 100 year-old house.

So, guess who got to be home to deal with our surly Armenian-American landlord when he came out to unstick this mess? Yep, me! Between the too-small tank top, the unbelievable amount of fur on the man's back and arms, and accidentally being shown just how hairy his butt crack also was, I barely noticed his colorful language lesson or the smell from his gigantic black cigar.

My brother married someone MUCH BETTER, by the way, so there is a happy ending.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

Much better than the hairy landlord? Well I would hope so!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL]

[Evil Laugh]

theresa51282
Member # 8037

Yay, The drain is unclogged. My friend was able to get it unclogged by snaking it [Smile] . Thank you all so much for the help.

Usually I do call the landlord but this one is pretty clear that we caused the problem so I am sure he would charge us which at the moment would be really hard on me. I am in between two apartments and paying two rents and all the costs that go with moving and realizing you need just one more thing. I love the story. I can just imagine my landlord grumbling and yelling about stupid girls who break drains. Which would have really irritated me being I would never be stupid enough to poor all that out the drain. [Smile]

Theresa

ElJay
Member # 6358

Yay! I'm glad it's fixed. [Smile]
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Because it was grease, it might not hurt to do the boilin water thing every now and then. What I do, though, is plug the hole, fill the sink with boiling water, and then use tongs to pull out the plug. That way, athe stuff is really flushed with the water.

There is also the vunegar and baking soda treatment-not just for volcano simulations anymore!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth, I've always used vinegar and baking soda seperately on some clogs. (But not grease or hair clogs; I use the bacteria stuff for that.)
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this is an original way to introduce yourself to Hatrack! I'm glad your problem's solved.

And welcome! [Wave]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

Thanks for the welcome. I have read hatrack for a long time. I just haven't really posted ( I had an account a long time ago that I posted a few times) but I am glad I did now. Everyone is so nice [Smile] and I have a fixed drain to boot

Theresa

quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we're kinda handy that way. Sometimes. [Big Grin]

Welcome!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack is like Anne Landers on steroids.
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Talison
Member # 7935

- posted      Profile for Talison   Email Talison         Edit/Delete Post 
I used a plunger on my shower drain for the first time the other day. It worked wonders!
(Not to mention making very interesting noises [Wink] )

Posts: 29 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hatrack is like Anne Landers on steroids.
Word.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
We're dead and someone has tacked an extra E on us? [Eek!]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Oops, sorry Ms. Landrs!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*thwap*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

Ha! Made you think of Marilyn vos Savant in the other thread!
rivka
Member # 4859

Huh? What do you mean, made me? I read her column every week.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*whispers* It's 'cause rivka's smart and stuff. [Embarrassed]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, actually, it has more to do with the fact that Marilyn is smart, and often amusing.

I usually ignore the "what do these words have in common" puzzles, though. Not my thing.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Eek!] You have shattered my innocence. [Cry]
rivka
Member # 4859

Pfft. <comment inappropriate for family forum omitted here>
advice for robots
Member # 2544

It's just that haven't seen her mentioned at Hatrack in a very long time, and then up she comes as soon as I mention "Ann" Landers. :D

I like Marilyn vos Savant, too, whenever I pick up a copy of Parade, which isn't very often seeing as how we don't take any newspapers.

rivka
Member # 4859

Look at the time stamps, afr. I mentioned Ms. vos Savant before I posted on this thread.

Of course, in the great Hatrack UberMind, I'm sure it was your post that triggered mind-- I mean, mine. [Big Grin]

advice for robots
Member # 2544

Time stamps are such trivial things in the great Hatrack UberMind.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What is a time stamp, really?

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.