FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Homebody

Author Topic: Homebody
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
A question for those of you who’ve read it . . .

If you were buying an older house that needed some work, and both you and your spouse had gotten the feeling that the house liked you, and wanted the current owners out so that you would come in and take care of it and fix and restore it, and you had read Homebody and your spouse had not, would you suggest that s/he read it? Or not?

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiwi
Member # 7982

- posted      Profile for Kiwi   Email Kiwi         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I'd probably say no... but then again it was a good book, so ... hmm.

If you do recommend they read it, do it before you buy so they have a chance to change their mind. [Wink]

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not. [ROFL]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Too late.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

I know it's too late on the buying, but too late on the recommending, too?
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers for those who haven't read the book [me]?
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
So...this is like a horror novel...

Um...no thanks.

I have such a good feeling from this place. I don't need any help getting spooked though. It's got a giant scary basement with a wavy floor and little nooks and crannies everywhere. And an attic. wooooooooooo

Thanks anyway.

Besides, if I really want to be scared, I'll just read the inspection report. Or the mortgage truth in lending statement.

[Wink]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't actually recommend reading the book, I'd just mention it in appropriate context on a public forum my hypothetical spouse is likely to read, like perhaps the one where we (hypothetically) met.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

You have a hypothetical spouse? I'm hurt that I wasn't invited to the hypothetical wedding.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Consider yourself invited to the hypothetical matrimony retroactively.

Enigmatically Yours,
--Me

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
MILD SPOILER WARNING

well it said in the book that a house's strenght at drawing people in came from there having been a great deal of love in the house at one point, the house being original, and the house itself being strong. So if you just go by being drawn to it, then it would be a god sign from the criteria in Homebody, if however things are disappearing, and there is a permanent house gueast who seems to aoppear out of no where, then it is a less good sign.

Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I got absolutely zero bad vibes from this house. It's amazing. I'm pretty easily spooked by silly nonsense that wouldn't bother anyone. It stems from a bad experience with my grandmother's basement and an older cousin who could teach Stephen King a thing or two about horror. (She's a probation officer now...) (and a great mom too!)

Anyway, I don't think I'll be reading this book.

Thanks anyway.

I'll wait for the movie.

And avoid that too.

[Eek!]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

In fact, dkw knows that if she ever tires of me and wants to collect the insurance quickly, all she has to do is lock me in the cellar at night. I'll die of a coronary and all she'll have to do is unblock the door and pretend it was an accident.

The perfect crime.

by the way, what would you say is the scariest movie you've ever seen?

My vote would be for "Wait Until Dark" with Audrey Hepburn as a blind woman being attacked in her own home.

Poltergeist got to me because of the creepy little kid.

whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw "Wait Until Dark" as a play. It was very well done.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Poltergeist has a scene with the best horror-movie timing EVER. I like timing. Comedy and Horror = Timing.

I digress.

The scariest movie I ever saw, I'd have to think about quite a bit more to answer. But I know what movie scared me the most (a fine, yet valid, distinction). The Blob.

The Blob, the original version with Steve McQueen, scared me for years and gave me nightmares. Years before I ever saw it, mind you. Mom (KrabbyPatty to you non-Williamses) was talking to some friends about movies when they were kids. I was in the room, and about 5 years old at the time. She talked about The Blob, and how it oozed around and squeezed through any space at digested people. This horrified my young mind.

But that's not the bad part yet. Because, young though I was, I had a fairly rational approach to being told about a movie where a gelatinous monster ate everyone: I asked how you killed the Blob. I was no idiot: I knew that you had silver bullets for the Wolfman and crossed garlic sunrises for Dracula, and for Frankenstein Monsters... um, pitchforks and torches, apparently. (Child psychologists recommend reassuring the child that it's only a make-believe. I recommend preparedness.) Anyway, I asked how you killed the Blob. Mom couldn't remember.

That's why the Blob was so scary! I had no idea what to do if the Blob came after me! Not that I had a ready access to silver bullets as a small child, but at least I knew that's what was needed, and I had been thoroughly convinced that knowing was half the battle. In the coming weeks I asked Mom often how they killed the Blob. She said she thought the teenagers came up with something, but they didn't actually kill it. THEY DIDN'T KILL IT? You can imagine how much this information helped. And of course she wouldn't let me watch The Blob until I was much older, because after all it was "too scary" for a 5 year old.
Nightmares.
Traumatized.
Enigmatic.
Edited. (It was an honest typo, really Ma!)

[ May 15, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: Enigmatic ]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

[ROFL]

And now that I know her, I have at least a small suspicion that your mom might've just withheld the crucial information from you on purpose!!!

[Evil Laugh]

ElJay
Member # 6358

Oooh, are we telling how Mom traumatized us as children stories? I like Dana's best!
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I hadn't really meant for that to become such a long story. The Mom traumatizing us as children stories deserve their own thread. Why didn't we think of this last week! On Sunday!

(and Dana's is really, really good)

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Dana, have you checked with the next-door neighbors?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

I sense a deeper insight into my spouse's character, and that of her entire family, is just on the edge of realization.
ElJay
Member # 6358

I actually don't have any Mom traumatizing me as a child stories. [Frown] I feel left out.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

I thought you had one, but just not one with a song that traumatized you. Or maybe you just made one up for long car rides?
ElJay
Member # 6358

Hmmmmm. I don't remember a trauma story. Or making one up, for that matter. Neither of those means that one or the other didn't actually happen. [Smile]
KrabbyPatty
Member # 7055

- posted      Profile for KrabbyPatty   Email KrabbyPatty         Edit/Delete Post 
Since this thread has been thoroughly derailed ... why is it that the males in my family can't distinguish the letter "p" from the letter "b"? It's beginning to make me krabby. Enigmatic, ElJay wasn't on the "pick on Mom" car trip - we were heading to Tulsa to visit her for Thanksgiving. We stopped in Ames to pick up dkw - and somehow, you and she started the "Mommy Dearest" theme as we headed south.

And Bob, how could you say such a thing about your favorite mother-in-law? I'm crushed. Really crushed. [Wink]

Posts: 113 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
The scariest movie I have ever seen(I do tend to avoid them) was "The Other." It still terrifies me when I think of it. I was about eleven, and my grandmother and I watched it, huddled together on the couch.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

You tell 'em, Mommy!
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
The scariest movie I ever saw wasn't even a movie, but an episode of the original "Twilight Zone". It was called "Little Girl Lost" and was written by Richard Matheson based on one of his short stories. A man and woman can't find their little girl. When they start to look for her, they can hear her but not see her. Then the dog disappears too. Turns out they have fallen through the wall into another world or dimension or something. The dog finally leads her out and the family is reunited.

I was five years old when that episode first aired, although I think I might have seen a re-run of it as we were living in our second house when I saw it, and I was six when we moved there. I clearly remember being so horrified by that show that I would not sleep next to a wall, and would barely touch walls, for several years after that, I was so convinced that it was possible to fall through walls.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

If I really couldn't tell the difference between p and b I would have called you KrappyBatty, which would have been worse. If only slightly.

And what makes you think there was only ONE car trip where we told Mom-traumatized-us stories? I seem to remember that becoming a recurring road trip game! Which may explain why we started taking less and less road trips...

--Enigmatic
(see also: Mom hit a skunk!)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.