FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I really need help now. --a virus that won't die

Author Topic: I really need help now. --a virus that won't die
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Someone sent me an IM tonight that said, "This was cool, check it out"
and it was a link
and yes, stupid me, i clicked it and opened it.

i didn't save it, i just opened it.
but what it does is send the same link to everyone on your buddy list.

THEN he told me not to click it.

So, I signed off and ran a virus scan.
I have Norton, which I know sucks, but we're supposed to be getting AVG soon. (Does AVG suck also?)

Anyway, nothing showed up on the virus scan. Is that because Norton is no good, or because I don't have a virus?

I'm going to run ad-aware later.. I dont know if it will show up there.

[Dont Know]

Questions:
Do I have a virus now?
How can I get rid of it?

[ May 15, 2005, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Tater ]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
Norton doesn't look for spyware, adware, or malware, only viruses. If you virus definitions are up to date, you are probably free of them. I would expect you'll find malware when you run Ad-Aware, though.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Thanks.

Will ad-aware get rid of it completely?
Can I stop stressing out over it?

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

Ad-Aware won't catch everything, but it's a good start. I wouldn't stress about it if I were you. At least you have Ad-Aware and Norton on your computer. Some people have NO protection.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Yeah, I'm supposed to be getting spybot SD and AVG soon.
Do you know how good they are?

Thanks.. a lot. I can breathe again.

gnixing
Member # 768

I've never used either, so I can't comment.

McAfee makes a decent stand-alone virus protection utility that you could try called Stinger.

http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion, AVG is among the best of virus scanners. Ad Aware is also exceptional. Of course, Microsoft's Anti-Spyware software is pretty good as well.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Can I bother you with another question? [Frown]

A friend of mine told me to delete everything in my "temp" directory. But I don't know what each thing is..
should i delete it anyway?
She said some virus might still be in there.

gnixing
Member # 768

Unless you save important items to your "temp" folders, it is safe to delete it. Sometimes, though, it's good to rename the folder first and wait a day or two to make sure an application you have installed is not using a file there.

If you try to rename or delete the folder and get an error message, something is using a file in that folder -- reboot and try again. If that fails, go into safe-mode when you boot up the computer.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
We switched to AVG and I must say I'm liking it a lot better than the prior product. It runs in the background a lot less obtrusively, it updates itself without any trouble whatsoever, and it's free.

I still have to run Ad-Aware and SpyBot, but I've had zero detections of any of that junk for awhile now.

Feeling pretty good with my combination of:

Zone Alarm -- Free
AVG -- Free
Ad-Aware -- Free
Spy-Bot -- free

On my laptop, I run a cleanup utility that I also got free. I've had problems on that machine of running out of space, etc, and that cleanup thing gets me back about 10 to 120 Mbytes everytime I run it. I know, it's not much, but I figure if I don't do this as a maintenance task, pretty soon I'll be eating into the Gig range on just random junk that gets stored or whatnot. Sure, some of it would be files that'd be deleted when I finally shut down, but enough of it accummulates to be a concern.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Where have you people been all my life? [Big Grin] [Hail]
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
What about for a mac?
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Tater, if you have any spyware such as Adware, SAHagent, etc., you have to get a good spyware removal program. Just deleting items in your temp file, or tossing your cookies, or any other such simple fix will not solve the great depth of the corruption that Spyware brings in--adding things to your Registry, adding things to other programs that will in effect regenerate the spyware programs even if you find and delete the primary ones--a whole host of corruptions too numerous to mention. They can even mess up your Internet connection, interfering with your ability to go to various sites and giving you error messages saying an error has been encountered and Internet Explorer must be shut down. When I discovered my computer was infected with spyware (SAHagent and a few others), when I ran a spyware detection only program, it reported over 1200 locations in my computer where corruptions belonging to the spyware were found.

Unless you are a top-notch Windows programmer and have lots of time, you can't fix it yourself. The vile, dispicable, degenerate, subhuman, enemies of God and man, and dregs of society hackers who create these accursed spyware programs are too fiendishly clever. Your only hope is to run a spyware removal program. Think of it as an exorcism, and hope it casts out all the devils.

[ May 14, 2005, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
You should get a firewall, too.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

NOOOOOO!!!

About a minute ago, it just sent out the link again to everyone on my buddy list!!

I already ran my Norton scan, and my ad-aware scan and deleted everything!

NOOOOOO!!!

will it ever die?!?!

Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a firewall will help cut down on new infections, but it will not block all the spyware. Plan on running the spyware removal program periodically. Frequently!
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

NOOOOOOO [Cry]
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried SpyBot as well as Ad-Aware?

SpyBot finds different things sometimes.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

no, but i surely will. thanks.
Tater
Member # 7035

I installed AVG, and it keeps popping up that i have a virus.
it's popped up about 10 times
does that mean i have 10 viruses, or that it just wants me to know that i have this one?

and, how can i delete it?
I clicked, HEAL, it says it can't, I clicked DELETE, it says it can't, I clicked MOVE TO VAULT, it says it can't..

I'm scared. [Frown]

it is ins c:document and settings/jennifer/local settings/temporary internet files/content..

blah blah.

help?

edit: down below it, it also says "warning: hidden extension .exe" [Dont Know]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Okay...this sounds not too bad actually.

The reinfection is happening because this virus is either in your registry somewhere or it's somehow running whenever you start your computer. Or something along those lines.

If it's telling you that you have a hidden .exe, it's an executable file which means MAYBE you won't have to edit your registry to get rid of it.

You can always hope.

Here's what you do.

Copy down the name of the virus exactly.

Go searching on Google for ways to get rid of the virus.

Also, since the virus might be one that stays resident in memory, if you haven't rebooted yet, that might be necessary too.

But first, go get the name of the thing (if AVG is giving it to you) and then search on it.

If you can't find anything at all, then go to the various virus cleaning software sites (McAfee, Norton, AVG) and see if you can scan there for that name of the virus.

If you still have no luck, then e-mail AVG and tell them what you're seeing from the scan and ask their advice.

McAfee has people who will also help, even if you don't have their software.

They spend a lot of time tracking down viruses and they're eager to help.

Good luck.

If you have to edit your registry, make sure you follow the instructions EXACTLY.

Back up all your key files (your work, and any software installs that you don't have original media for) and then do the reg-edit stuff.

If you are uncomfortable with that, take the computer somewhere and have them do it.

I won't lie to you, I've ended up wiping a hard-drive to eradicate a virus once. But that was in the dark ages of virus detection.

Take a deep breath. Research it. Then act.

Turn off AIM. If you have to, uninstall AIM (or whatever IM, you're using) so you don't just keep reinfecting other people.

Note, if you install Zone Alarm, you can also just tell it not to let your IM program send or receive until you get this fixed.

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the virus you have: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.doyorg.html

Note the removal instructions.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

Well, here it is.. it's 2:30am, and I'm exhausted, but I'm the kind of person who wouldn't have been able to sleep until this virus thing was resolved.

Thank you all SO MUCH for your help.
I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without you.

Now I've got, Norton Antivirus, AVG, Spybot SD, and Adaware. I updated the virus definitions (thanks to fugu's link. Which, by the way, I'm very glad you found. When I tried to update earlier it said there was an error, which your link told me could have been caused by a virus.) then i deleted temporary internet files and restarted the computer.

when i logged back on i ran every scan, and all showed up negative for viruses.

At last, i can sleep.

I'm not sure what the best "thank you" smiley face would be in a case like this, but you guys got 'em all.

[Hail] [Hat] [Hail] [Hat]

You're the best.

Goodnight [Sleep]

Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
Ive been haveing a virus Problem myself heres what AVG poped up thid time.

While closeing file: C:\\WINDOWS\Temp\tmp1c51.tmp
virus identified Java ByteVerify

I had a freind come over to try and help me get rid of it. we thought we did then the same message popped up but the number on this part changed (((tmp1c51))).

we spent 8 hours trying to get rid of it but it would come back but with just a diffrent number after the tmp.

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

from http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/How_do_you_get_rid_of_Java-ByteVerify
quote:
Java/ByteVerify.Exploit is not a virus as such. It is a method to exploit a security vulnerability in the Microsoft Virtual Machine.

Microsoft has a security-patch for this. More info and to download the patch, goto http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-011.mspx

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.