FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Two weeks' notice

Author Topic: Two weeks' notice
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm preparing to leave my job at Kroger's, and I plan to offer the courtesy of a two weeks' notice of departure. I'm just a bit lost on how to do it.

This is what I have so far:

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Mr. Jackson –

I wish to inform you that, effective two weeks from the date of this letter, I resign from my position as Courtesy Clerk.

Thank you for providing me with the opportunity to work at The Kroger Company.

Is this all I need, or would you suggest some additions?

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That's all you need. [Smile]

Good luck in whatever you're doing next!

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, it's enough. No need to expand, no need to explain, nothing. That does the job.

Good luck!

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Be forewarned: Depending on the relevant laws in your state (mine is an at-will-termination state), your employer may choose to terminate you immediately.

Seems unlikely in your situation, but it's good to be prepared for the possibility.

Good luck!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck!

I agree, the letter is sufficient.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
How useful!
Because that is what I want to do.
Quit working at stop and shop very soon.
But, what is a courtesy clerk?

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
A Courtesy Clerk is a:

Bagger
Customer's personal slave
Sweeper
Mopper
Shelf-stocker
General Sanitation Engineer
Cart-pusher
All-around gopher

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
If you want a letter of recommendation from your current manager, you may want to personalize the letter a little bit. If you don't need a LOR, then your current letter is fine. Good luck. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Beren.

Short and sweet is fine-- Nixon's one sentence resignation letter

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck.

I worked at two places where fellow employees came in with such letters. The managers smiled, followed them to thier desks, watched them pack, and helped them out the door. Both were gone within an hour.

When my turn came to leave I was prepared to go immidiately, and in one case, had to be at a new job in three days. In each case the managers were surprised and begged me to stay past my two weeks notice.

Much of your goodbye will depend on how good a worker you were.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.