FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "you got to be nice"

Author Topic: "you got to be nice"
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
As many of you know, Eve's brother, Casey, was killed in a car accident last Wednesday night, May 11. Many of you gave us your thoughts and prayers, and these were a real comfort to us during this time of sorrow. We've popped up that thread many times since then when we needed a little encouragement or just needed to know someone was thinking of us. Thank you all so much. Now I want to share a little about Casey.

Eve and her mom were going through some of Casey's things and came across a set of maps he made on some Provident Life and Accident¯ stationary sometime during elementary school. The map included Fox Brook, Eagle Brook, Bobcat Rapids, Owl Falls, Eagle River, Rattlesnake Lake, Death Falls, Hunting Woods, Rattlesnake Woods, and Davy Crockett Stream, Fort, Rapids, and Mountain ("Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee"). There were hundreds of little trees (two vertical lines and an inverted 'V'¯), craggy mountains, and meandering water.

The best thing we found, though, was the charter document for The Great Outdoors Club. There was a list of members and a list of bosses (which included all the members). There was a list of "Ones Who Decide Club Rules" and a list of "Ones who Make Maps."¯ There were lists of doctors, detectives, cops, "spys,"¯ and "mathmatians."¯ The list of "Here's what you'll do" included look for arrow heads, polish rifles, look for civil war things, Nintendo, and Sega. The list of weapons ranged from clubs to machine guns to "magnum (gun)"¯ to bazooka.

The very best part, though, was the list of rules:
  • you got to be nice
  • be nice to girls
  • help people
  • don't say bad words
  • don't lie
  • don't do bad things

Casey was a man who kayaked, who ran his own trap line when he was 13, who climbed rocks - a natural athlete and a born leader. But he was also a boy who knew the most important rule of all: "you got to be nice."¯

You got to be nice, dammit. You just do.

Dagonee

[ January 28, 2006, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: Dagonee ]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for sharing that, Dags.

Sounds like he was a very special -- and nice, in the genuine sense of the word that doesn't get used as often as it should -- guy. I know he will be missed.

(((((Eve&Rob&family)))))

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
(((hugs))) That's really sweet. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing, Dags. That sounds so sweet. You have some great memories of him. [Group Hug]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Couldn't we post that in the classrooms? Words to live by.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
He sounds like a fine human being.
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear, that brought me to tears. I have been thinking of you both a lot lately.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] and [Frown] simultaneously.

[Smile] becuase Casey sounds like a wonderful, and as Rivka says genuinely nice in the best sense of the word person.

[Frown] for your loss.

I am glad we were/are able to help, even just a little bit.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, I missed your sad news. I'm so very sorry. Casey sounds like a lovely person and his loss is a truly terrible thing.
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kiwi
Member # 7982

- posted      Profile for Kiwi   Email Kiwi         Edit/Delete Post 
Dagonee and Eve, I'm very sorry for your loss. It sounds like Casey was an awesome guy with his heart in the right place.

I guess "you got to be nice" is something everyone needs to remember a little more often.

Posts: 69 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I had seen something about the trouble, but I missed the why of it. I am so sorry for your loss.

Sounds like he really loved life though.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I only just now became aware of your loss. I'm so sorry! Dagonee and Eve, that was beautiful. I'm glad you have these things to remember him by.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for this thread. I loved those rules.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Sound like the Ten Commandments layman style.

Might be truer, too. Simpler. You never know.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((Dagonee and Eve))))))))

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing his wisdom with us.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad Hatrack helped you guys a little. I'm so sorry for your loss. Thankyou for sharing some of Casey's life with us; his rules are awesome.
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punwit
Member # 6388

- posted      Profile for punwit   Email punwit         Edit/Delete Post 
Remembering a lost loved one's strengths is what holds me together during the grieving process. Casey's outlook on life is an inspiration to us all. Wishing you and Eve and family the very best.
Posts: 2022 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Dag and Eve*

*sends spiritual hugs to Casey*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

To note: the charter documents also contained a prominent copyright notice:

"Do not copy without permission of one of the editors."

Even in second grade, he was two steps ahead of everybody.

Thank you for all of your kindness!

Eve (and Dagonee, the illustrious and benevolent ruler of the only laptop we brought with us.)

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
He sounds like a formidable and caring person. I'm sorry for your loss, but glad you can take comfort in those memories. I remember going through photos when my mother died, and her scrapbooks, just remembering. [Group Hug]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
DO I have permission to post it in my classroom? Those are lovely rules.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag and Eve, those are great rules.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your find with us - very cool.

*hug*

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are outstanding rules, Dagonee & Eve. Casey sounds like a very good man. From your description I am convinced that even though it magnifies the loss, your brother-in-law's life bettered the lives of others and had a truly positive impact on them as well, that will be remembered and cherished.

Putting 'You got to be nice' down on paper, I don't know, it rings of an optimistic earnestness that I think we lose track of sometimes. From your description, Casey sort of reminds me of a hero from a book or a movie, someone who doesn't have super-powers or a mythic enemy, but just a good guy who makes things better.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I'm sorry again for your loss, and I'm glad both of you have been able to take any little encouragement from the `Rack.

J4

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your loss. I'd be devastated if I lost my brother.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
If only everyone would/could live by those rules. Thank you.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Lem,

I think it would be fine to post those rules. For the purposes of proper attribution, they are excerpted from the "Great Outdoors Club Rules."

Eve

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I am among those who didn't see the first thread. My condolences.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I too am late in hearing this news.

He sounds like a great guy. This is the ultimate ammunition for mothers who insist on keeping every document their children produce. But it's not an argument anyone should have to win.

My condolences.

Glenn

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Thank you all for the kind words.

I never actually met Casey, but I do have great memories of him. His family and friends loved him very much, and they shared that love with others even as they grieved.

ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
What a great set of rules to live by. [Smile] I'm sorry you have lost such a special person, but am glad you (and us, through you) had a chance to know him, if only a little bit.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Was Casey younger than Eve, Rob? How old was he this year?

Again, my sincere condolences.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

He was 24 or 23. I heard both ages from non-family and forgot to ask Eve which it was. That makes him about seven years younger than Eve.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.