FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » So...I thought I'd give Linux a try

Author Topic: So...I thought I'd give Linux a try
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
...and I'm wondering if it's possible to access any of the files that I already have on the computer, that I put on while in Win98. I'm using Knoppix and running it off the CD at the moment. Any suggestions? Is it do-able?
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Try to look in the /mnt/windows directory
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
It won't be in /mnt/windows, unless you've installed and associated Windows with a certain partition.

Try /mnt/hd<a-d><number>, according to the partition Windows is on. IIRC you can write to FAT32 partitions.

I prefer Kanotix personally (as a Live CD - 'cause it's a Knoppix update), but if you've got a powerful enuogh computer - Libranet 3 is the way to go.

JH

===

Jonathan Howard is not responsible for the validity of any information posted above. All data in this post is entirely his opinion.

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
*will try in the morning*

in "/mnt/hd<a-d><number>" do I type it as written, or are there figures that I should be substituting in "<a-d>" and "<number>"?

Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
Substitute <a-d> either a, b, c or d. In <number> you need 1 onwards. If you installed Windows on drive "C:" (assuming it's at the beginning of your hard drive, and that that hard drive is configured in the BIOS as "primary master" - and if you don't know what I mean then assume it is so), then it's "/mnt/hda1".
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

Okay...I tried it at the start-up and it gave me an error message: Could not find kernel image: mnt/hda1
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
You wouldn't specify it at startup.

*checks his recollection*

This will tell you how to get your files: http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.