FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bushfish

Author Topic: Bushfish
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok,
I know some people here are conservative, and a lot of them are religious. I am flamingly liberal and spiritual but not religious(just like every other lutheran) but today i discovered something that crossed the line so far that I think everyone who believes in god/jesus and America should be highly offended.

http://www.bushfish.org/

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure it's a joke and is mildly amusing as such. I think it plays on the whole myth (propogated by the Christian right) that if you are Christian, you support Bush. At least I really hope its a joke... [Angst]
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.bushfish.org/feedback.html

quote:
Brilliant concept and design. Although I think it looks much better if you rotate it 90
degrees counter-clockwise. Because, frankly... it looks just like a bomb with our
beloved President's name on it. I think we'll adopt your wonderful symbol for our next
anti-war campaign. And remember, imitation is purest flattery. Thanks again!

[Razz]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you think it is a joke, ludosti?

This was on the message board:

"Brilliant concept and design. Although I think it looks much better if you rotate it 90
degrees counter-clockwise. Because, frankly... it looks just like a bomb with our
beloved President's name on it. I think we'll adopt your wonderful symbol for our next
anti-war campaign. And remember, imitation is purest flattery. Thanks again!"

And it really does look like a bomb when turned vertically.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Hey, no fair!!!!!!!!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DemonGarik
Member # 7793

- posted      Profile for DemonGarik   Email DemonGarik         Edit/Delete Post 
but then you get people who respond with this-

Date: May 10, 2005

Sarah, President Bush isn't the Savior. But he IS the best chance we have for
returning to a society based on morals and traditional family values. And I think that's
what the BushFish is saying. For me, it's a sign that I'm a Christian Republican and
nothing more. God Bless.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, come on, he's from affluent suburban Atlanta; those bushfish will be as thick as flies there. [Big Grin]

I should know; I grew up there.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My in-laws would so buy something like that. >_<

And mean it.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh, sorry Elizabeth [Wink]
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

You are so NOT sorry, and know it!
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yes, KQ, I'd venture to guess that people that say that and mean it are not at all uncommon.

In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that there are probably people here on Hatrack that would say it and mean it.

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Well, I thought it's poking fun at the idea (which Bush supporters like to use) that if you are Christian you should support Bush (which I don't think is the case) - the whole "President Bush is doing The Lord's Work" idea. I didn't delve very deeply into the site, but as I look at it closer now, it seems like they're serious.

"If so, then show your love for God & the USA!" As if loving God and loving your country means loving Bush. [Razz]

I so love the bomb idea though.... [ROFL]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't smell like a joke. I think there are people out there who'd buy one of these with a straight face.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

You're right, I should embrace my copying/pasting skills, not apologize for them in an attempt to be polite!

Someday you'll be able to CTRL + C like me [Taunt]

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Some day, kaioshin00, some day. As my daughter said when she was three: "I'm going to get to do a lot of things on that day..."

ludosti, I wasn't questioning you, just wondering. I just wondered if you had found a satire alert. Some of the things on landoverbaptist have been sent around as real. On some of those sites, it is harder to tell.

lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it is a joke, because the side links are all to conservative sites.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

Elizabeth - Yeah I know what you mean. I tend to automatically interpret stuff as satire, but I think, in this case, I was wrong (for the reasons lem said).
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
At least it's less scary than the Soidier Fetus...
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
"Kill, my minions! Kill the interlopers! So says, EMPEROR BUSH!"
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, can the version of this with the Bush fish being swallowed by THE TRUTH fish be THAT far behind? C'mon. Whose got the PhotoShop skills to mock this up???

I'll buy the first one of those off the production line if someone makes it.

[ROFL]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you would like to see my mock-up, send e-mail.

If you don't know my e-mail, where have you been?

Bscopatz AT data-nexus.com

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

bump
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it has to be a satire. The webmaster edits the comments put up, it says so. No sane relgious right person selling bushfish would put up the comments. Besides, look at the very fist comment, it looks in earnest, but it's a joke: the bushfish is on a Hummer. They're already making a joke about Bush and oil and gas guzzling SUV.
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Darn. I was hoping this was a spoof of babelfish in which they translate what you say into Bush.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Sorry, but it is NOT satire. At least not intentional satire.

Go look at the page full of links under "Resources." This is not satire at all.

And, frankly, given the rabid nature of the e-mails from some of those folks, I suspect the webmaster is posting the comments as an example of just horrible the left wing is in this country.

People behaving badly just because someone exercises a little free speech.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like how it links Bush to Jesus.

Does everyone know where the fish thing comes from? (probably, but for anyone who doesn't...)

The fish sign was from early Christianity. Christians would put the fish sign on their doors to indicate where Christians were meeting in secret so Roman persecutors wouldn't find them. The fish sign comes from the Greek word for fish, Ichthus, an acronym from the Greek, "Iesous Christos Theou Uios Soter," or "Jesus Christ the Son of God, Savior."

Sticking BUSH into the middle of that is just wrong, and not just from a separation of church and state point of view.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't buy it. All it would take would be one session of torture for your average Christian to spill the beans about the whole fish thing, and then it would be pretty easy for the Romans to find Christians to route them out. Just look for the fish for lion chow.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Unless they didn't let on. Torture only works if you ask the right questions in the right way, and then it's unreliable anyway.

All it would take is for people to NOT mention the fish symbol and the Romans would be none the wiser.

Never under-estimate the power of a religious zealot (in the purest sense of that word).

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
Bush is the right wing Jesus.

He is perfection to them.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Way back in my confirmation days I heard a slightly different explanation for the fish symbol, particularly the open-tailed two-curved-lines version. It went something like:
If a christian was talking to somebody that he weren't sure was also christian, he'd drag a foot in the ground between the two of them, making a curved line in the dirt with his toe. If the other person was also christian, he would do the same, so the two lines made the fish symbol.

Both explanations could work together, of course.

--Enigmatic
(male pronouns used above because "they" seemed overly confusing in this instance and I dislike typing he/she)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think both are likely legends with little or no basis in fact, although they sound fun and could be true.

("He" is perfectly appropriate, although it's not very hard to type "s/he". [Wink] )

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, mine comes from my history professor, who speaks 5 and can write/read 11 languages, he's been a professor of history at Michigan State University for more than a decade and now a guest professor at Oakland University for a few years now.

He has decades of experience and is probably the smartest guy I know. I don't think he'd teach us something that has no basis in fact.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

While that makes it more believable, professors teach opinions, personal theories, and very shakily supported information more often than you would think.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
*deep breath*

Little or no basis in fact? We ARE talking about Christianity here, after all!

*runs*

--Enigmatic
(Is of course just kidding. And just realized you could replace "Christianity" with "George W. Bush" in that last joke for double word score.)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.