FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Last minute Florida/Disney questions

Author Topic: Last minute Florida/Disney questions
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
We're leaving on June 3rd...eek! Mr. Opera has now suggested that we drive straight down in order to have another day at Disney (which will make 3). We figured we'd make our first day a beach day since we'll be kinda draggy. What's the best beach to go to? Any suggestions?

Also, if we do 3 days at Disney, what parks do you suggest? (I'm not up for park hopping). Our kids are 7 and 10.

One more question....Mr. Opera is now suggesting possibly 4 days at Disney World (cheaper) and skipping Sea World till next time (we want to go down again in a few years and see other things). Is Sea World a "must see"? Will we regret skipping it? I've never been there so I don't have a clue. Thanks!

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Also, if we do 3 days at Disney, what parks do you suggest? (I'm not up for park hopping). Our kids are 7 and 10.

I'd suggest Magic Kingdom for at least 1 day. I think it has the most rides out of all of the disney parks. And if you guys really like animals then go to Animal Kingdom [Razz]

As for the beach, I don't what to day - Orlando is pretty much in the center of Florida, you'd have to decide if you wanted to go to the east or west coast.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never been to Sea World, but I think there is one closer to you than the one in Florida, so if people think they are about equal, you could make it a shorter trip sometime, and miss it in Florida.

Edit: I guess not, I could have sworn there was one in Ohio, but who knows how that got into my brain, looking it up I find no proof of that.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

- posted      Profile for Space Opera   Email Space Opera         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. We don't care which coast, since we don't know which is better. Something above Orlando is fine; we don't have to get all the way in the Orlando vicinity the first day. Clear as mud?

space opera

Posts: 2578 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to be coming back in a few years, I would say you could skip SeaWorld. It is a lot of fun, but you will save money and hassle if you stick to Disney this time around.

But then again, I think you should skip Disney altogether and go to Universal instead. They have real rides there.

As far as beaches go, do you want to go to one close to where you'll be staying or anywhere on the way down?

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
Orlando is pretty much in the center of Florida
Not really. The east coast is a much shorter drive.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

zgator, anything on the way down would be great, if you have a recommendation. And you are definately right about the saving money if we skip Sea World (I think that's partly why Mr. Opera is toying with the idea). We'll end up saving over $200.

breyerchic, there used to be an Ohio Sea World, but as far as we can tell it's been shut down. [Frown]

space opera

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Daytona Beach is good? It's on the east coast north of Orlando.

And yeah, ORL is closer to the east coast [Razz]

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
oh yay, my brain isn't broken, but it is sad that the Ohio Sea World shut down, it would have been a good place to go sometime.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

Do you want something with lots of activity or a beach that's a little quieter?

You said anything on the way down, but would you prefer to be close to Orlando so you have an easy drive the next day?

BTW, I'm actually not the beach expert, but I'll run this by my wife when I get home.

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

You're a dirt engineer! You should know all about beaches and sand and stuff.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Sea World is totally skippable. I grew up going to the one in San Diego, there's also one in... Um... San Antonio. Seriously, it's fun once or twice, but your day would be far better spent somewhere else.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
Sea World is fun, but not worth 200 bucks...so if that is what you would save, I'd skip it. Daytona is a good beach to go to. I think they still allow driving on some areas of the beach, so you will have to watch your kids...but if it is still allowed at all, it is very restricted.

If you go to Daytona, you really should go to a place called "The Ocean Deck" they are a restaurant that is right on the beach (near the pier...and since they are open, you really feel like you are right on the beach. They have great food.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
You're a dirt engineer!
Yes, but I'm so dedicated to my job, I never have time to go to the beach.

kaioshin, Lupus, have either of you gone to Crescent Beach? That's one of the places we use to go in college. It was fairly quiet back then, but that was a few years ago.

Space Opera
Member # 6504

Yes, maybe something close to Orlando so that we have an easy drive would be better.

Of course, since Mr. Opera keeps changing plans, we might end up at the beach in the middle of the week! I love the man, but it can take him forever to decide something. [Smile]

Once we have our "schedule" set I'll start asking around and see if we can meet up with some of you Orlando-area 'rackers.

space opera

kaioshin00
Member # 3740

No I have not been to Crescent Beach - I've actually never heard of Crescent Beach. Or Burrito Brothers for that matter.

Lupus, have you ever been to Burrito Brothers?

Tullaan
Member # 5515

- posted      Profile for Tullaan   Email Tullaan         Edit/Delete Post 
We recently went to Orlando and spent 7 days at one park or another.

I would definatly skip sea world. It can be fun, but I wasn't as impressed with it as I thought I would.

If you spend a little more now you can get the Disney 5 day pass. They never expire (at least not 2 years ago). So if you get tired or just don't feel like going, next time your in the area you can use it. There also good for any of the Disney parks (disneyland, disneyworld, epcot, animal kingdom, mgm, etc).

I would suggest Epcot with the understanding that it's not geared towards kids as much as the other Disney parks. It was great fun for the adults in the party.

Disneyworld for us is a one day trip, but we don't try to hit every single attraction either.

Don't forget about Kennedy Space Center. It was great to see the huge saturn rocket, or the mock up of the space shuttle. If your lucky you might see a shuttle on the pad. I'd suggest going there the first day though. It is government and it's not as clean and sparkly and (exspensive) looking as the Disney parks are.

Universal studios is a lot of fun as well. There rides are more exciting than Disney rides. The spiderman ride was my favorite. Dueling dragons was fun as well as the incredible hulk. May not be as good a choice with your kids ages though.

No matter what, you won't be able to do it all on one trip. We just decided that we have to go back.

Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are going to see La Nouba, right? Right?
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
SO,

If you are interested, Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon are a blast if you are thinking water parks. I found Typhoon Lagoon to be a bit more laid back. Blizzard Beach made me a bit nervous after a few hours with all the faux ice and snow motifs surrounding me. Maybe I am a bit neurotic, though. I loved the snorkeling adventure (although it is VERY short) at Typhoon Lagoon, too. You get to swim with all these cool fish, including some small sharks.

Animal Kingdom is OK, but there are only a few rides worth mentioning including the Kilamanjaro Truck ride and the Dinosaur jurassic park-like ride. Watch going to Animal KIngdom if you are making a day of it. Some days, the park closes at 530PM, but I imagine the summer hours are longer.

If I had 3 days, I would visit Magic Kingdom, MGM, and a water park. Fourth and fifth place would be Animal Kingdom followed by Epcot last. After a couple yearly visits, I found MGM to be my favorite park overall, especially for the rides.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
P.S. Do not miss Fantasmic! It is a nightly show at MGM, and starts at dusk (9PM???). It is awesome...
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're into the rides, I'd let Epcot slide. Test track is just like riding in a car, and I've heard Mission Space makes some people nauseous (i haven't been since it opened, but my roomate does like it). Body Wars is just like Star Tours at Mgm, but with the inside of your body (yum). The Ellen DeGeneres/ Bill Nye ride is pretty cool. But that aside, Epcot just doesn't thrill as much as the other parks do. Even as a geek, the world showcase just isn't that interesting.
I've never been to Sea World. But to be honest, I've been to Disney World four times and would go on it all again four times in a heartbeat. All our vacations were "just Disney" things You're never really done with Disney, even as a grown-up.
It eats Florida, so you won't be disappointed if you just go there.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
If you're into the rides, I'd let Epcot slide.
*bites tongue*
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Ellen DeGeneres/ Bill Nye ride is pretty cool.
Oh yeah! I rode that silly thing 3 times.

Norway's got a viking boat ride.

Hopefully Japan still has the tin toy exhibit.

Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Space Opera
Member # 6504

Ok, we watched the Disney DVD last night...Mr. Opera said we had to turn it off before it convinced us *not* to go! [Wink] It was pretty bad.

Anyway, we've decided to buy tickets for 5 days. The difference between 4 and 5 (for all us of together) was only $30, so we figured it wasn't too much to waste if we decided to go to the Space Center for example. However, we'll be really happy with the savings if we decide to do a 5th day at Disney. So here's a question - is it better to buy tickets beforehand? I know places all over Orlando sell them, so I'm not worried about availability, I was just wondering if there was a place that sold them at a discount that we hadn't heard of.

Thanks guys! I'm sure you're sick of these questions, but I've been finding your tips very helpful!

space opera

edit: You know, we've gone from a plan of 2 days at Disney to 5. Does anyone else plan vacations in such a backwards manner?

RackhamsRazor
Member # 5254

- posted      Profile for RackhamsRazor   Email RackhamsRazor         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember Epcot as not being fun when I was little but I know that I loved it when I was in 10th grade. It's more for the adults than anything. But if you do go, I would suggest having a little fun by going to each country and taking a picture of you and your family in the traditional hats of that country (berets in France, sombreros in Mexico...etc). The kids as well as adults will love Magic Kingdom. One whole day will definately be needed there. Im sure you could spend 2 days there easy just because of all the fun things to do. I would suggest MGM too just because it is fun. Definately go see the Muppets 3-D show at MGM. I remember that being great as well.

Have a good time!

Posts: 306 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kaioshin00:
No I have not been to Crescent Beach - I've actually never heard of Crescent Beach. Or Burrito Brothers for that matter.

Lupus, have you ever been to Burrito Brothers?

ya...never been to Crescent beach, but I have heard of it.

There is a burrito brothers near the intersection of 13th and university (near apartment hunters)

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

Zgator is always talking about it.

I liked the Buzz Lightyear ride. I dont remember what park it's in though.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.