FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Did anyone else who saw Star Wars see a trailer for The Da Vinci Code?

Author Topic: Did anyone else who saw Star Wars see a trailer for The Da Vinci Code?
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I did. A movie based on The Da Vinci Code? Whose bright idea was that? Ron Howard's. He's behind this. [Angst] [Eek!] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst] [Angst]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my goodness.

And it has Tom Hanks in the lead. I don't think even he could make it into a watchable movie.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

That's what I was thinking.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
It's controversial, The Vatican already hates it, it will get tons of free press, plus it's based on a book read by millions. And it has Tom Hanks! And Gandalf, and Doctor Octopus. Can you say blockbuster?
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

Yeah, it'll probably be the one of the highest grossing films of next summer.
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I didn't look at the rest of the cast. Bezu Fache was cast perfectly. That's the guy I pictured when I read the book.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
The selling point for me, apart from Ron Howard's involvement is Audrey Tautou.

Mmmm. Audrey Tautou.

[ May 20, 2005, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: Taalcon ]

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone really surprised?

Dan Brown writes ALL of his books as such obvious "potential summer blockbuster screenplays".

Heck, several of his books (most notably "Deception Point") continually remind the reader what big name movie stars the characters look like!

Beat for beat, line by line his "novels" read like shooting scripts.

It's really silly. [Smile]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the book yet. But the preview (viewable on Apple Trailers) was a very cool teaser trailer.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I just took a college course on the phenomenon of The DaVinci Code. It didn't take more than a minute for everyone to agree that Brown's books are written to be adapted for the big screen. Not literary classics but they'll translate well.

What kills me is that the movie doesn't come out for a YEAR! Oh, and the voice on the teaser. Could it be more cliched?

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
This is going to suck as a movie.

The book was only even remotely "good" because it was a page-turner... the plot isn't anything screen-worthy. I could see them doing a good job of the beginning part, in the museum... but the rest is cracking codes and so forth, they can't do that on screen!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
Um, isn't that what National Treasure did? That movie was like a test run to see if people would see a movie about cracking codes and such.
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
It's so so bad writen I haven't even finished it.
Maybe it was the translation (I didn't want to spend too much money on it so I didn't buy it in English but borrowed it to a friend) but it was horrible, and I'm not joking.

Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, am I the only one who thinks the trailer was a joke?! I mean, they didn't show ANYTHING from the movie...

Anyway, I'm just about to inflict the pain of reading Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code on myself... Probably not worth it, but I want to see what the fuss is all about. [Dont Know]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

BTW, Audrey Tautou (Amelie) is playing in it.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Yeah, and I haven't seen Amelie... [Razz]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 7476

Well the movie hasn't started filming yet, so It's impossible to have any scenes from it...
Anna
Member # 2582

Corwin, really, you didn't ?
Taalcon
Member # 839

quote:
BTW, Audrey Tautou (Amelie) is playing in it.
Okay, I'm really starting to get the idea that people haven't been reading my posts lately [Wink]

Taal said earlier:
quote:
The selling point for me, apart from Ron Howard's involvement is Audrey Tautou.

Mmmm. Audrey Tautou.

Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Amelie is a fantastic movie. [Smile]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quote:
Originally posted by Anna:
Corwin, really, you didn't ?

Nope, not yet... I have some friends whose movie preferences are close to mine who said they didn't like it at all. I might see it someday, but I won't go out of my way just to see it. [Dont Know]

Edit: If it's any consolation for you, Taalcon, I did see your post. [Smile]

Anna
Member # 2582

Sorry Taalcon. I haven't read the thread at all. It's stupid, but I do that sometimes to save some time.
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Edit: If it's any consolation for you, Taalcon, I did see your post.
What is this in reference to? And who is this Taalcon you speak of?
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

[Razz]
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
**shrug** Personally, I feel this will end up being a better movie then book.
Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched the trailer on Apple's site, nd couldn't stop snickering. I feel sorry for all the respectable actors involved in this.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
ugg, that movie will be terrible. I don't understand why the book sold so well.

If they want a conspiricy theory thriller, turn the matarese countdown by Ludlum into a movie. And don't butcher the plot like they did for the Bourne movies.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't feel sorry for the actors. This is going to be a blockbuster.

National Treasure and Sahara both did very well and they weren't based on one of the best selling books of all time.

As someone already said, Dan Brown's books are written as if they were going to be turned into movies. Basically...if you like the book, I think you will probably like the movie. I found the book to be a good enjoyable quick read. I'm not sure why everyone gets so uptight and snobbish about it. It seemed like a good beach book. I think people forget that it is FICTION.

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
I could probably stand it as a movie. I never read the book.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"I think people forget that it is FICTION."

Hm. In general, the people who like the book the most are the ones who seem not to realize that it's fiction. Those of us who recognize it as fiction also recognize, by and large, that it's bad fiction.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

I don't dislike Dan Brown's books because they're fiction, I dislike them because they're so obviously written to be films. Empty-headed, paper-thin films that take potentially interesting, controversial subjects then treat them in a trite, utterly unimaginative manner.
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Annie's not currently avliable:
This is such a bad idea! It breaks Tom Hank's streak of only ever being in good movies!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Lee Wombat
Member # 7021

- posted      Profile for Johnny Lee Wombat   Email Johnny Lee Wombat         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad book does not mean bad movie.

Good book does not mean good movie.

So, why do you think the movie will be bad?

Posts: 43 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

If I dislike the source material, and said source material was obviously written in the "to be film adapated style", I'd say I've already answered why I think it'll be bad.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:

Heck, several of his books (most notably "Deception Point") continually remind the reader what big name movie stars the characters look like!

You mean Bill Nye?
Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather see an adaptation of Angels and Demons than Da Vinci Code, but that could be because I just spent four months in Rome. But I didn't really take either book seriously, for me they were just filler books to read in between doing school work, brainless stuff.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

quote:
Originally posted by theamazeeaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:

You mean Bill Nye?
No, Halle Berry. And several others.
theamazeeaz
Member # 6970

- posted      Profile for theamazeeaz   Email theamazeeaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the book like a year ago, and don't remember who was secretly. Would Halle Berry be Rachel? Who are the other characters?
Remember the scientist guy with the TV show whose wife died? I just kept picturing Bill Nye. Made the romantic scenes of that novel come out very intersting in my head, I got to tell you.

Posts: 1757 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.