FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » military tactics question

Author Topic: military tactics question
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed that many of you, OSC in particular have some pretty good resources of info on military history. are there any internet sited you could recommend that might bring me up to speed?
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StickyWicket
Member # 7926

- posted      Profile for StickyWicket   Email StickyWicket         Edit/Delete Post 
anybody?
Posts: 128 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't try to learn tactics from them, but two good military sites are:

http://www.janes.com/
http://globalsecurity.org/

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

This site looks a little iffy, but does have some free online reference material:
http://www.molossia.org/milacademy/index.html

I wouldn't send them any money, though.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
You can send me money.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

If I was you, I would just pick a famous or crucial battle: Cannae, Crecy, Battle of Chancellorsville, Midway, or an influential general like Hannibal, Alexander, Napoleon, Lee, Forrest, Patton, Rommell, etc. and just google.

You'll find plenty of sites to learn from.

Also, the gaming community probably has some good tactics sites and forums--and games. Interactivity is key to learning tactics.

Morbo
Member # 5309

ONE wiki reference and you want money? You make spammers look good, kai.
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that OSC's primary source is a great site called the "library" where they have these magical little pieces of hardware (they're like little hand-held databases) called "books," I believe. I know they sell them at places called "bookstores" as well. We live in one amazing world, don't we?

[ May 20, 2005, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

Print is dead.

So far, this thread has brought out an unsung genius, a librarian , and a sposter (worse than spammers.)

I guess the gamers won't arrive till the wee hours... [Smile]

DavidR
Member # 7473

- posted      Profile for DavidR   Email DavidR         Edit/Delete Post 
Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" is a classic resource. I did a quick search on the web for it and found this site, among others, with the text of it.

http://www.kimsoft.com/polwar.htm

Posts: 148 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I see someone's been watching the Sopranos.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I believe that OSC's primary source is a great site called the "library" where they have these magical little pieces of hardware (they're like little hand-held databases) called "books," I believe. I know they sell them at places called "bookstores" as well. We live in one amazing world, don't we?
Instead of this rude pile of steaming sarcasm, pehaps you could have tried this Glynn:

quote:
In addition to your internet search, I would also suggest reading books on the subject. Public libraries have historical sections with great resources for this sort of thing. There is also the added advantage of having all the information in these books validated for at the very least, basic fact checking. Most of the books you find will have loads of verifiable references, which your internet resources will almost certainly lack. I believe that OSC uses books as his primary research tool.
I know being a jerk to newbies is sort of your niche here Glynn, but that is not a niche we need filled.
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Hmmmph. I thought I was toning it down a lot. I thought it was fairly tongue-and-cheek.
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I rather liked Makers of Modern Strategy, which is a collection of essays on military strategists "from Machiavelli to Hitler" edited by Edward Mead Earle.

It has very interesting looks at classics like Napoleon and Clausewitz as well as more unusual choices for a military strategy book like Smith, Hamilton, Engels, and Marx.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
If you search the two best books in stratégie and Tactics illustrate by many historical example, there are The art of War (for strategy) and the 36 stratagems (for tactics).

It's stronger than Clauswitz, for me.

I recommand the five rings too, because it's more general than the Art of War and, maybe, more deep.

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Xavier:
quote:
Instead of this rude pile of steaming sarcasm, pehaps you could have tried this Glynn:

quote:
In addition to your internet search, I would also suggest reading books on the subject. Public libraries have historical sections with great resources for this sort of thing. There is also the added advantage of having all the information in these books validated for at the very least, basic fact checking. Most of the books you find will have loads of verifiable references, which your internet resources will almost certainly lack. I believe that OSC uses books as his primary research tool.
I know being a jerk to newbies is sort of your niche here Glynn, but that is not a niche we need filled.

You tell him!

Don't you ever think about people's feelings, PC? Maybe this kid saw your sarcastic remark and decided life wasn't worth living any more, huh, what then?

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
The phrase "military tactics" covers a lot of subject matter.

Did you have a specific field of study? Land? Air? Naval battles? Squad level and operative level?

You can pick from a slew of battles, armies and so forth to study and review.

Some themes are universal, no matter what time, terrain or equipment are employed.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like money too. I can give you ten wikipedia links for ten bucks, and that's cutting me own throat. Special once-in-a-lifetime offer.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Cut-Me-Own-Throat Joldo, eh?
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course.
Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad tactics.

Good strategy though.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.