FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Toddler Stuck In Vending Machine

Author Topic: Toddler Stuck In Vending Machine
accio
Member # 3040

- posted      Profile for accio   Email accio         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.wndu.com/news/052005/news_42319.php
Posts: 333 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the pictures at work last night but couldn't find the story.

I want to know what the mom was doing while the kid was climbing into the machine. Couldn't she have stopped him?

Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
"Danielle laughed at first but when Wal-Mart employees couldn’t find a key to the machine, she called the fire department. "

I'd say Mom thought it was cute till she realized he couldn't get back out... And if THATs the case, I gotta seriously wonder about that woman.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Why didn't they try using the claw to get him out?
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
Too expensive...
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, it sounds to me like she just let him do it.

[Wall Bash] That is not smart.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
When I read the title to this thread (without opening the thread yet) I instantly thought of Bean...
Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
This happened in Wisconsin about six months ago. Looks like the same kid, even. *laugh*
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin works at a group home right next to that Wal-Mart.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it terrible that, since the kid wasn't hurt, that I'm horribly amused by this?
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alucard...
Member # 4924

- posted      Profile for Alucard...   Email Alucard...         Edit/Delete Post 
Um...

No.

Posts: 1870 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Stupid mother. Cute kid.
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, everybody seemed to be discussing it so seriously... [Big Grin]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, no harm, no foul. I don't think the mother was being particularly stupid; those vending machine things don't have a lot of moving parts to hurt people.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
knowing my luck, I'm going to end up with children like this kid.... I hope it's just as amusing then as now.
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
stryker, just don't have your kid at walmart in the middle of the night, I think you'd be better at watching them than this woman, at least from situations i've seen you in.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hiroshima
Member # 7970

- posted      Profile for Hiroshima   Email Hiroshima         Edit/Delete Post 
Who says history doesn't repeat itself?
Posts: 90 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
That's terribly funny.

Oh, and I'm glad the kid is OK.

Did the mother actually walk away from the machine to buy a camera?

I hope she's a scrapbooker. Just imagine her showing the album to people ten years from now. "Here he is on his tricycle... and birthday cake all over his face... and this is him in a vending machine..."

Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
If she did just let him climb in, I agree with those expressing disbelief and disgust. But at least there's some hope:
quote:
”He is doing alright,” says Danielle. “He was in a bit of trouble afterwards. He definitely didn’t get a toy after that.”

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
The story I saw yesterday on AOL claims that she bent over to pick up a bottle or a sippy cup that he threw, and that in the time it took her to do that, he'd climbed inside already. Personally, I highly doubt that the kid was that fast.

Besides, of all the claw machines I've seen at Wal-Marts and grocery stores and so on, I don't think a single one would accomodate a 3-year old through the door of the prize chute... come to think of it, I don't think any child older than 9 months to a year could manage that one. And the way they're designed, he'd have to get completely through the chute and into the collection bin before he could get past the door to get into the display area.

I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to find out that Walmart's management has reviewed the security cameras (every Walmart I've been at has several cameras covering the entrance, exit and the shopping cart doors, and the coin-op machines are almost always at the shopping cart doors) and have determined that Mom did in fact let the kid in somehow.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Goody, I had doubts about that, too. I'm glad someone else has them.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
”He's the next great Houdini, “ says Coleman.

Come on now, can't argue with Coleman.

Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't look like it would be that hard to mock up the shot.
Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see this saving a lot of headaches for parents who don't want to bother explaining to their kids where they came from.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The story I saw yesterday on AOL claims that she bent over to pick up a bottle or a sippy cup that he threw, and that in the time it took her to do that, he'd climbed inside already. Personally, I highly doubt that the kid was that fast.
After hearing Olivetta's stories about her son Liam, the escape artist at two, I completely believe it.

zgator: I was trying to think of that joke. You got it - that's perfect. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really a "vending" machine? If I were to classify it as anything, it would be a game of chance. It's very similar to rolling the dice at a craps table: some skill is involved, but most of it is blind chance and luck. A vending machine gives you the candy/soda/plastic bling bling that you paid for.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

I don't remember where I read/heard this, but somewhere I picked up the impression that they're high priced vending machines. Once it's accumulated a certain amount of money from limpwristed grabs, then it finally clamps down with enough tension to hold anything it might happen to grab onto. But if you miss on that one shot where it finally clamps down, then you lose out and the cycle starts all over again.

So yeah, some chance/luck in terms of when you come to the machine compared to when it's finally ready to consider paying out.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, especially since I don't remember where I got that information...

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Why didn't they try using the claw to get him out?

Too expensive...

lol

seriously,
laugh out loud
funny.

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL My 3yo just told me I earned him at the errands store (read Walmart). Maybe I'll tell him I got him from one of those claw machines [Razz]
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought they made those things so that you couldn't even stick your hand in there. Let alone your whole body. What the heck?
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.