FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help Me Buy a Guitar!

Author Topic: Help Me Buy a Guitar!
BryanP
Member # 7772

- posted      Profile for BryanP           Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I'd like to teach myself how to play guitar, but first I need one to play. I'm not very confident in my ability to stick with it, though, so I want to get one pretty cheap in case I give up on it.

Therefore, I'm looking at getting an accoustic second-hand either off of Ebay or at a pawn shop or something for less than $100, preferably under even $75. Does anyone have any recommendations? Are there any that I should just avoid? I don't know too much about it, and all I need is something that sounds decent and that I can learn how to play.

Thanks.

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can find an old Guild, that's a good all around acoustic. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay Jr. from Jay Turser.

Usually about 100 bucks, my husband got Aidan one(well, two) for about 75 dollars on Ebay.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
First off, I generally recommend to people who want to learn anything that they don't shortchange themselves with shoddy equipment. Get a decent guitar, not a cheap one. If you get a cheap one you just guarantee that you won't like playing guitar.

The other thing is that choosing a guitar can be very personal. There are all different styles, steel/nylon, electric/acoustic, long scale/short scale, wide neck/narrow neck, etc. You have to consider what kind of music you want to play, and play some before you make your decision. It has to feel good in your hands. So get someone to give you some lessons on a borrowed guitar first, then go to a guitar store and try out a few guitars with what you learned.

Before you put money down on any guitar I'd check around on Ebay and find out what that kind of guitar has sold for, so that if you don't stick with it you can sell the guitar for what you paid for it (or more, if you get a good deal). If you buy it new, you'll lose money if you resell it, but if you buy it used, you'll likely break even if you make an effort to get a good deal.

I'd say it's not real likely you'll get something decent for less than $75 (unless you're real lucky), but you can get something very serviceable for less than $200.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I disagree. If you're going for used, think pawn shops or yard sales, you can get a very decent learner acoustic for under $100. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BryanP
Member # 7772

There's a Yamaha FG 412S accoustic on Ebay for around $60 (though that price will likely increase, I also saw it at a pawn shop today for around $100). I've heard they make good guitars, and it got decent reviews on this site:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Yamaha/FG_412S-01.html

Any comments?

Posts: 326 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Mmm. I personally am not a BIG fan of Yamahas, but they're better than some. I'd say the value/cost ratio is pretty good at that price, though-- if it stays at that price.

Remember shipping in your calculations, though. And does it come with a hard case? If not, it may not make it to you intact.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I also disagree. We have gotten Aidan some beautiful guitars on Ebay.
Sometimes, you don;t know what kind of guitar you want to play until you learn the basics. the basics are the basics for any style.
The best thing though, as Glenn says, is to see if you know someone you can borrow one from first.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Emphasis on: Not real likely, and less than $75.

(Feeling defensive)

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I second the Yamaha recommendation, however don't expect it to increase in value. Check out guitars at Sam's Club and you'll find brand new Yamaha at reasonable prices.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Sorry, Glenn, I did not want to make you feel defensive at all! My husband prides him self on his Ebay finds.

My son, who is eight, has four acoustic guitars and one Fender Telecaster, which was recently given to him by his godfather, my husband's cousin, who gave up his rock star dreams and passed them to the next generation.

A couple of purchases were duds, and were given away. One arrived slightly damaged, and was replaced, but we got to kep the slightly damaged one.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
A Guild, for less than $100? <laughs maniacally>

Keep dreaming.

Fortunately, thanks to our hard-working friends over in Korea, halfway-decent guitars are fairly easy to come by these days. They won't be amazing or make you want to weep when you're playing them <dreams about Taylor acoustics>, but they have suprisingly good tone and hardware.

The best that I've played of the entry-level guitars is the Washburn D-100. I bought one of these for my sister because I knew she wanted to learn how to play, and when I pulled it out of the box, I was amazed at it's depth of tone and bright, not muddy sound. The tuners keep that sucker in tune longer than some of the $1000+ guitars I've toyed around with, and it has a solid spruce top which can be hard to come by for less than $300 bucks. So, if you want a guitar that isn't boring (it comes in cool colors) and has a good sound, I'd recommend it.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

My son's teacher has a Taylor, PC. It sounds so beautiful, though anything he plays sounds beautiful.
One of the guitars my husband found on the Internet sounds really beautiful, and it was the cheapest!
And how lucky is my son to have been given a freaking Telecaster as his first electric guitar! He is in heaven.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I really like the tele- except for the headstock, I find it to be... lacking. Otherwise, the guitar looks really cool.

I have an Ibanez that does the job. I can play it by itself, and it sounds nice, but it's intended to be plugged in and played live. The electronics on it are really nice, and it includes a Low-Z connector so that I don't need a direct box. I need to start playing live again. I haven't been in front of an audience in two years. I miss it.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
A Guild, for less than $100? <laughs maniacally>

Keep dreaming.

Do I need to get my dad to call you? He's gotten three Guilds for less than $60 each in the last 12 years.

My brother picked one up for $25 at a yard sale.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Then those who sold the guitars knew nothing of what they were doing and your father took advantage of that fact, or they were pawn shop owners who didn't care enought to check into the value of the guitars they had and, therefore, got what they deserved.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Pawn shops and yard sales and the Recycler, and my dad offered more at the yard sales but they didn't want it because "it was going to a good home". [Smile]

I'm just saying it's entirely possible to do it.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

But it also takes an investment of time. For someone who just wants to try out the guitar and see if they like it, sifting through yard sales for decent guitars is a very unattractive prospect.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Unless you go yard saling every week to begin with. [Smile]
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Btw, to what is this "Recycler" you speak of?
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

I need to hit up more yard sales.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

The "Recycler", in the LA area, is a publication in which people list things for sale at bargain prices or for free if you pick them up, stuff like that. That's also where my dad found his G&L (less than $500) and my dad's friend found his G&L ($300). My mom got a free portable dishwasher, which she's still using, when her old one broke.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My dad is a champion yard saler. He goes almost every Sat. morning. He also hits estate sales.

I used to go with him. He somehow knows where all the good ones are. He got my console Singer sewing machine for $75. I found 20 volumes, in near-mint condition, of the 1937 deluxe edition Harvard Classics and paid $40 for both boxes-- $2 a book for books that are worth, right now, around $10 each. I got a mostly intact set of Le Creuset cookware for $15.

Yard sales and estate sales rock.

BryanP
Member # 7772

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied and gave suggestions and advice. I really appreciate it!

I've purchased the Yamaha FG-412S on an Ebay auction for $61! It didn't come with a case, but the seller was from Minnesota, so I just picked it up today and saved $32 on shipping. The guitar is a few years old, but thanks to your recommendations as well as someone on another site who had the guitar, I felt good about purchasing it. It's certainly not putting me out of too much money!

I started trying to teach myself tonight, but after an hour or so my fingers are too sore to continue. Until tomorrow....

Thanks again for all your help!

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

If you want to develop those calluses, play until you think your fingers are going to split, and then keep on playing. Your body will react and toughen up the skin a bunch, though you won't be able to play for a few days after that. Once they form, playing is far more pleasant and easy.
BryanP
Member # 7772

Will do, thanks!

My first string broke already!! Perfect condition my arse! Oh well, guess I'll have to make a run to the music store in the morning.....

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
My fingers are too short. [Frown]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

Nah, mack, you just have to develop the muscles needed for the big reaches. It feels like your hands are too short, but they're not. They're just not used to the positions you're putting them in. It takes a little time, but you get used to it.

BP, how did you break it? Were you strumming? How hard were you strumming?

I would have recommended new strings anyways. If you get a new set, replace all of the strings on the guitar. That way they're all in the same condition. It will go out of tune a lot at first, but once the strings get stretched out a bit, they'll be fine. Besides, new strings always sound so nice.

If you don't mind paying a little more, I highly recommend Elixirs. They've got a coating on them that keeps them sounding nice longer, and it's a little easier on your hands. Don't get the super expensive ones. The original Polywebs should be fine. Otherwise, Martin and D'Addario strings are a little cheaper, but nice quality.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying! [Razz]

I hit the problem the the Fmajor chord. I couldn't hold down the first two strings with one finger, the tip isn't big enough. Tried the flat trick, that didn't work. Tried...crap, what else did I try...the "normal" way, but I couldn't...

Hard to explain. But it just seemed that the tips/pads on my fingers aren't big enough to hold down the string on that chord, which is frustrating. I just picked up Nathan's guitar today and played around and couldn't remember much from the few lessons I took as a kid. Nathan's got a Yamaha FG-401.

I also tried turning it around and playing lefty to see if it was a finger muscle problem. My right hand's fingers are much stronger than my left because of the fingerwork needed and done with fencing. Same problem. [Mad] *glares at fingers*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

You just need to harden the pads on your finger. Everyone strugges with F major. It's a bitch of a chord. Remember, not all of the strings have to sound when you're strumming. Just get it as close and as clean as you can. Enjoy playing first!
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

The song I'm learning right now has Gmaj7 in it. It didn't give me the fingering so it took me forever to figure out.

Here's the tab that I was given...
E|-2
B|-3
G|-0
D|-0
A|-x
D|-3

I took one look at that and went... WTF, mate?

Finally I figured it out...

1-Index 2-Middle 3-Ring
code:
E|-----|--1-|----|---
B|-----|----|--3-|---
G|-----|----|----|---
D|-----|----|----|---
A|-----|----|----|---
D|-----|----|--2-|---

Funky chord, but it transitions well with G and C2. I supposed I could have always played the barre chord, but that wouldn't have sounded right.
mackillian
Member # 586

Yup, I just figured out what you told me between when I posted and when I read your post just now. I CAN press the string hard enough, but my fingerpads have too much "give" in them to get the 2 string to sound right (or the 1, depending on where I can exert the most pressure).
BryanP
Member # 7772

quote:
BP, how did you break it? Were you strumming? How hard were you strumming?

I would have recommended new strings anyways. If you get a new set, replace all of the strings on the guitar. That way they're all in the same condition. It will go out of tune a lot at first, but once the strings get stretched out a bit, they'll be fine. Besides, new strings always sound so nice.

If you don't mind paying a little more, I highly recommend Elixirs. They've got a coating on them that keeps them sounding nice longer, and it's a little easier on your hands. Don't get the super expensive ones. The original Polywebs should be fine. Otherwise, Martin and D'Addario strings are a little cheaper, but nice quality.

Hahaha, I wasn't even strumming. I was tuning the damn thing and the string just broke off as I was turning the knob for that string.

Can you tell me where I can get Elixirs? They sound nice, especially if they won't kill my poor fingers....Are they available pretty much anywhere?

mackillian
Member # 586

Just tell your fingers, "Stop hurting! I want to play!"

At least, it worked for me in fencing. We develop calluses where the grips rub against your fingers. I have a nice icky one on the side of my index finger, and another in the middle of the palm side of the middle finger.

My goal is to be able to play some REM. That'd be cool. I can do the mandolin bits on the guitar, but they're still a bit slow. I can do dueling banjos. [Wink]

My duel just doesn't last that long. "Crap! Not THAT string!"

All in all, nathan's guitar makes a pretty good change of pace for a 10-15 min break from data entry or photo work at home.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mack, get those geetars out here so you can play with my son!
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
Sight down the neck and be sure it's straight (perfectly straight) to your eye. S-neck guitars will not play in tune.

I second Yamaha or Ibanez. Both are good guitars for not much money. My Yamaha Telecaster copy has superior electronics, tuning machines, bridge saddle, and fretboard to the 2 Fender Telecasters I've owned.

You might consider buying a classical guitar for learning. The nylon strings are easier on your fingers, require less hand strength, and the fretboard is nice and broad, making it easier to fret some strings without damping the others, plus classical guitars have a really great warm sound, too. My first guitar was an S-neck classical. [Smile]

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.