FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Birthday of Miss. Annie

Author Topic: The Birthday of Miss. Annie
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
This day, today, is an exact number of years after my beloved came into this world. She arrived, as children tend to, a little naïve as to the world around her, but with the drive to make a go of it. Elementary school, middle school, high school, college; Texas, Colorado, Montana; infant, child, young adult, adult. Like all lives, hers’ has its delimiters, rites of passage, hardships and happiness, like all lives hers had boundaries and freedoms, limits and liberties, one could say that all these years have been just like any other’s, going through those same stages, those same thoughts; and yet the end result is unique, radically different from any other person who has before inherited the earth.

Often times when trying to assess a person, one looks at key areas, how strong, how contemplative, shy, boring, intelligent, pretty, old, charismatic; how do they compare? Often times when complimenting someone we list off those areas we feel they are well accomplished in, or ones we pretend that they are: you’re a good athlete, good mathematician, singer, friend, boss, leader. This is a method not completely without merit; certainly I can tell you Annie is a wonderful thinker, a kind and loving friend, a tremendous artist, I can tell you she’s beautiful, engaging and posses a strong will; but that is not who she is, she is much more than a series of qualities and abilities.

Perhaps it is a limit of language, we know only adjectives, only lists of characteristics; perhaps there’s no real way of truly describing a person. I know Annie, I know her well, I know her deeply; a list of all of her positive aspects may be assembled to describe her, and certainly I do try to read her some of the highlights from that list; yet she isn’t a list to me. She’s strong, but that’s not what she is to me, she’s intelligent, but that’s not what she is to me. To me, Annie is the girl I Love, she’s the one, my one and my only, the one I turn to, the one who I want to turn to me. Hatrack, meet my Annie.

Welcome, Annie darling, to this new trip around the sun, may it be beautiful, may you prosper, may it bring you happiness, as you have always brought to me.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my goodness! Happy Birthday, Annie!

[Smile]

(And P.S. - Hobbes - that is one of the sweetest birthday commemorations I believe I have ever read!)

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] Happy birthday. Hobbes, that was very well written.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, happy birthday, Annie!

No one started a thread for my birthday.

Not even my husband, who is registered now, and had the computer for more than an hour while I was gone with Katie!

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Annie. [Smile]

And Anne, I started to. Twice! But my brain is fried today. Sowwy. Happy belated!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*sniff* I'm not irritated at you, rivka. But my own husband! [Razz]

I did, however, see one Hatracker (other than Jeff and Emma) in person, and get e-mails from two others. So I guess that's okay. [Wink]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Annie! [Smile]
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday to two good friends, Annie and Anne!
You have both given me good memories, Annie via IMing and email, and Anne by actually sending me memory chips. And Wenchcon. [Big Grin]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Many Happy Returns. [Smile]

(KQ - I had it even worse. I had to start my *own* thread. Unloved and willing to broadcast it!)

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Annie! Happy birthday, Anne! Happy birthday, Imogen! We love you all!

Hobbes, very well written indeed. [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Kiss] Hatrack

I love you all. Except for you. Yes, you know who you are. [Razz]

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Annie!
[The Wave]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Comme il se doit, je te souhaite un heureux anniversaire pour tes 20 ans. (On m'a toujours dit qu'une femme avait toujours 20 ans...) [Smile]

Happy birthday !!

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!!!

[Party]

I have to second what Shan said. Hobbes, this is the sweetest birthday thread ever. Annie is so lucky to have you!

[Smile]

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Annie! Ah, but for a day we'd have been birthmates...
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy B-Day!
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Merry B-Day!
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday, Annie and Anne !
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Happy bday
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yom huledet sameach, Annie!! [Kiss]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MaydayDesiax
Member # 5012

- posted      Profile for MaydayDesiax   Email MaydayDesiax         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday Annie! :: hugs ::
Posts: 873 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Sigh. And I had just decided to cut back on my sweets.

[Big Grin]

Thank you everyone! What a lovely surprise. And Hobbes, dear, you've got it coming to you, and "it" ain't a bad thing.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Annie, this is a family forum! [Eek!] [Wink]
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
Annie, this is a family forum!
How is a big plate of brownies not appropriate for a family forum?
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday!
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy brithday!!!
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
Bonne fête à toi
Bonne fête à toi
Bonne fête chère Annie
Bonne fête à toi!

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave] [The Wave] Happy Birthday Annie!! <Sorry it's late..
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

It's not late!

Day ain't over yet!

Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday, Annie!
Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mothertree
Member # 4999

- posted      Profile for mothertree   Email mothertree         Edit/Delete Post 
Eid Milad Jamil!

That's possibly bad Arabic for festival of birth beautiful. I can't remember the word for happy. We never used it in Arabic class.

And I don't tell people my birthday because I don't want to be disappointed if no one notices, (((kq))) But I can't complaing because I forgot our wedding anniversary once.

Posts: 2010 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
Many happy birthday wishes to you! [Big Grin]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Joyeux anniversaire
Joyeux anniversaire
J'espere que cette chanson va te plaire
Joyeux anniversaire!

Couldn't think of something better.
Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we're well-wishing in different languages...

お誕生日おめでとうございます、アニ!

Otanjoubi omedetou gozaimasu, Annie!!

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
!יום הולדת שמח

I already said that once in Latin characters, but hey, people (namely Ryuko) were getting creative...

I hope you had a fantastic time!

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zotto!
Member # 4689

- posted      Profile for Zotto!   Email Zotto!         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy B'day, Annie. [Smile] *confetti*
Posts: 1595 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday Annie! May all your dreams come true. But you and Hobbes already have each other, so I think you've exceeded your quota of luck and happiness in this world. [Wink]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jonathan Howard
Member # 6934

- posted      Profile for Jonathan Howard   Email Jonathan Howard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
お誕生日おめでとうございます、アニ
It would've been SO much easier if you Japanese writwes stuck to the Kana. I know that "お" is "O", "め" if I'm not wrong is "MU" and "い" is "MA". I didn't study Japanese since 5th grade.

`id Millad Sa`id (Arabic, and I can't remember if this is correct - I will spell it in Arabic if I EVER get back into Windows).

Vesele Narozeninyi.
Tsiu Li-Quai Loh Ti-Tantsien. (Sp? Gr? Lan? Voc? Trnsl?)

Posts: 2978 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry. If it makes you feel any better, I only know a few of those kanji, I just know they're right.
And for the record "お" is "O", but "め" is "ME" and "い" is "i". I always forget ME, too, though. I wrote the romanji right underneath the kanji, though. [Smile]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Birthday!

יום הולדת שמח ב"קוד סודי".........

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.