FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dry skin -- girly advice sought!

Author Topic: Dry skin -- girly advice sought!
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
What do y'all use for dry skin?

I've always had a tendency to dry skin, but it's been getting worse the past few years. Mostly it's on my face -- under my beard and moustache. (I usually don't shave, since I think of it as a waste of time and money.) I've noticed that when my beard gets longer the skin underneath seems to get drier and more irritated, so I'm thinking of shaving regularly for a while and seeing if that helps. (I'm guessing that it may help, but not actually eliminate the problem -- I just seem to have the tendency for dry skin.)

Any recommendations for skin moisturizers? I use a couple of different "natural" ones -- one from Burt's Bees, and one called "Zum Rub" from Indigo Wild.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that shaving is a form of exfoliation and is good for you. Or something.

I also have Really Dry Skin that is Also Sensitive and use a non comedegenic moisturizer from neutrogena.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Eucerin (add me to the Really Dry Sensitive Skin list). I've heard it's greasy, but my skin soaks it up! I also use Purpose moisturizer + SPF 15 on my face; expensive, but non-comedogenic and hypo-allergenic, plus sun protection.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
There is only one product for dry skin: Pond's Dry Skin Cream. Found at your local grocery store, and hands down, the best out there. (Trust an ex-department store make-up girl, with dry skin of her own.)
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I learned a new word, thanks y'all! [Smile]

Non-comedogenic =

quote:
Also called non-occlusive. Refers to products that do not cause skin breakouts because they do not plug the pores of the skin.

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome.

I don't like Pond's, though; it's got too much water in it, dries out right away.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
avocado body oil. Except you're sticky afterwards, so I only use it on weekends.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Shea Butter
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaz_King
Member # 3184

- posted      Profile for Chaz_King   Email Chaz_King         Edit/Delete Post 
Hrmm I have this same problem with my beard when it gets to long, but I chalk it up to the same thing that causes dandruff... If I wash it real well with shampoo to scrubb out some of the dry skin, and I condition it afterwards it generally helps the skin under the beard from being dried out and flaky.

I mean it makes sense to me that if you need conditioner for your head, you would need it for under your beard [Wink]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Cocoa Butter. Best thing for my skin. Or Coconut Oil (yep, not even kidding about this), but it's gotta be non-chemically extracted coconut oil that still smells of all that coconutty goodness. [Big Grin]

Shea Butter I'm soooo allergic to it's not even funny. Wanna see me break out in one giant hive? *shudders*

Fahim shampoos and conditions his beard, but only because I insist upon it. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky4
Member # 1420

- posted      Profile for Lucky4   Email Lucky4         Edit/Delete Post 
Some suggestions from a dermatologist I worked with:

Use a dandruff shampoo (on facial hair as well). Wait ten minutes after application before rinsing.

Don't shower in blazing hot water. Use warmish water instead.

When you get out of the shower, gently pat dry, and then apply lotion to damp skin. This traps the moisture from the shower and maximizes the action of whichever moisturizer you pick.

This particular dermatologist believed the methodology behind the moisturizing was at least as important as which moisturizing agent was selected. This may be common sense to some people, but it was all news to me. [Smile]

Posts: 186 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I use East Wind Nut Butters.

[Wink]

An added advantage is that enough stays in my beard that I have a ready snack right under my nose, so to speak.

[Big Grin]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
pfft. girly men.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.