FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » People like this deserve the worst death possible.

Author Topic: People like this deserve the worst death possible.
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I like to think that I'm a calm, rational man, but when I see stories like this one, "8 Year Old Found Alive", I want to gather together an old-fashioned mob and kill this man as slowly and painfully as possible.
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to say as quickly as possible before the other mob of people get there and start screaming about his rights.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Animals have no rights except those that are given to them by a human care-taker. He's welcome to have a care-taker if they're willing to share his fate [Big Grin]
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I like to think that I'm a calm, rational man, but when I see stories like this one, "8 Year Old Found Alive", I want to gather together an old-fashioned mob and kill this man as slowly and painfully as possible.

Hm. Does vengeance really improve your mood?
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Justice should. And justice where these offenders can never harm again.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Prison?
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"Justice should. And justice where these offenders can never harm again."

Ah. Seldom do I hear the word "justice" substituted in for "angry mob."

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well today's your lucky day then Tom. Now do you want to stay with what you have, or do you want to go for the Kenmore washer dryer set that's behind one of these three curtains?

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh that poor baby. Thank God they found her while she was still alive.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Our Kenmore washer stopped working properly yesterday (about a month out of warranty, of course). *sigh* Seems kinda unimportant in comparison to some things, though, don't it.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

Tom, in an ideal world our sense of justice would also satisfy our need for vengeance.
Unforunately, this man will probably be out of jail in 15 years, and this girl will have to live with the fact that he's out there in the world, free to do this again. Meanwhile, someone who sold crack ten years ago is still sitting in jail.

Tell me, how is this justice? Who's interests are served in this situation? Where is the fairness and atonement that should be demanded by society!?!

TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Tell me, how is this justice?"

You're entirely right. It's not.
I am reluctant, however, to presuppose that the angry mob is.

TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

If this were your daughter, where would you stand on the issue?
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
"Here, let me throw in some emotional attachement to cloud your view on things."
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tom, in an ideal world our sense of justice would also satisfy our need for vengeance.
Perhaps in an ideal world, we'd get over our need for vengeance.
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
Where did I leave my pitchfork and my torch again?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

What's really disturbing is the implication that my love for Sophie would be somehow lacking if I didn't want to rip someone's limbs off for harming her.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Nah. It's only lacking if you wouldn't rip someone's limbs off to prevent them from harming her.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Death won't solve anything. Everyone has to die eventually.
Why not make every effort to prevent stuff like this from happening instead? A person like that should have been in counselling or something, perhaps he was also abused as a kid. It disturbs me, a seventeen-year old boy, hurting a girl like that.
Who knows what happened to him as well? I despise child molestors, believe they should be jailed for life, or at least serve a longer sentence than drug dealers or users, but teenagers like that need to be caught early to get all the help they can get so this doesn't happen again.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just another Dharma bum
Member # 6879

- posted      Profile for Just another Dharma bum   Email Just another Dharma bum         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's better for them to rot in jail, rather than have them killed off.
Posts: 84 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nah. It's only lacking if you wouldn't rip someone's limbs off to prevent them from harming her..
Actually, from previous posts about Tom's passifist beliefs, I would say this is also true (though forgive me if I am wrong). I believe I was one who challenged him on these type of hypotheticals.

At first I couldn't understand this, but since then I think I think I know where he is coming from. Its not something I could say myself, but I respect it a great deal.

Edit: and a lack of love has nothing to do with it. Again I can't speak for Tom, but I would say love could motivate someone NOT to kill someone else on their behalf.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.