FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Not Very Sensitive.

Author Topic: Not Very Sensitive.
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone notice the ad at the bottom of the page that advertized "Materials to Reach Mormons with the Gospel?" Now all things considered, I don't think that's a very appropriate thing to have at the bottom of THIS website.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
The same or a similar ad came up recently, someone mentioned it in a thread. Among the materials is a "Dictionary of Mormonese."

Ryan, do you expect sensitivity out of an ad program? [ROFL]

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
If I was Mr. Janitor, I'd demand it, or some money back, unless we can place Ender ads on Lucas's web site.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Dictionary of Mormonese? Does that list all the terms for jello deserts?
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Google will block specific requested ads.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
"If you really believe someone is going to hell, isn't it polite to warn them?"
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard that Mormon missionaries receive specific training for the best way to reach several different non-Mormon Christian denominations, or at least specific apologetics for responding to different Christian denominations.

Even if that's not the case, we know that Mormons consider it very important to attempt to convert other Christians and non-Christians.

That being the case, why was this ad offensive?

Dagonee
*I'm only speaking of the concept. Obviously, it would be easy to write an ad for such a thing so as to be offensive. If this specific content was offensive, that would be a different matter. But that doesn't seem to be the crux of the objection.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see anything wrong with the ad. I don't think the ad is any more 'insensitive' than praying for dead people who belonged to a different faith than Mormonism or sending people out into the world to convert people to (your religion here). *shrug* Same principle.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
(Wrote mine while Dagonee was writing his.)
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have heard that Mormon missionaries receive specific training for the best way to reach several different non-Mormon Christian denominations, or at least specific apologetics for responding to different Christian denominations.
Dag, this isn't true. It isn't taught in the MTC, and there's nothing about it in the manuals. In fact, in the manuals they are very specific to NOT spend time trying to counter what's out there, and instead teach the gospel simply and clearly.

I usually don't bother to correct this kind of minor misinformation, but it's important. Maybe other people study on how to counteract specific beliefs, but the LDS missionaries don't (or, at least shouldn't. They are still human.). It brings up contention and that offends the spirit.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I got this from a guy who came back to school after his mission, back in '90 or so. I don't doubt you, but I have no reason to doubt him either. [Dont Know]

I don't think it matters much to my point - Mormons think it very important to convert peole to their beliefs. I have no problem with this (largely because of the reason KoM gave), but I also don't have a problem with people who think it important to convert Mormons to their beliefs.

I think it's a little amusing the ad popped up, and if the owners want to block it, more power to them. But I don't think it's insensitive as a concept.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Dag, I didn't learn, my friends who taught in the MTC didn't teach it, it's not in any of the manuals from the last ten years, and I've never heard of anyone who did.

I could send you PDFs of the manuals and get testimonials from other RMS, but seriously - it doesn't happen. I don't know what you heard, but it isn't true.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Frankly, it doesn't interest me enough to do reading on it one way or the other. I just wanted you to know I heard it from a source with no axe to grind. My knowledge is very much second-hand, and I think you've corrected it for anyone who may be getting bad information from me.

It's still irrelevant to the larger point. [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

On whether or not it's insensitive?

No, not insensitive. Amusing and kind of tacky, but not insensitive.

Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Some ads used on forums these days will do a search of ads that have words in common with words used frequently on the forum. In this forum's case, I could understand why a Mormon ad might come up. If we use that type of ad system, that is.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Here's the context-checker in action: mesothelioma and asbestos.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

It'll take a couple to have an effect:

quote:
Mesothelioma is one of the deadliest diseases known to man; the average life span of an inflicted person from the time of diagnosis until death is less than 6 months. It’s a disease that strikes approximately 3,000 United States citizens each and every year; hard working people who have labored for a lifetime to provide for their families, doing the work that keeps this country running and a great place to live. They worked in factories, at shipyards, in mines, for the US military, as engineers, as pipefitters, as steel workers, as auto mechanics, and in so many other professions. They came home to their loved ones exhausted and covered in dirt and dust; tired, but content that they had a job and were providing for their family. Content that they were putting food on the table and a house over their loved one’s heads. Content that they were working to make a better life for their families in this generation and the next...

Dagonee
Member # 5818

One more to see if this does it:

quote:
Unfortunately, the effects of asbestos on the human body were known to be deadly for years by the companies who employed the ‘greatest generation’ and made hundreds of millions, if not billions, of dollars off of their backs. But instead of taking simple steps to alleviate the problem and save the lives of thousands of their workers, they choose to do nothing and continue to make a “healthy” profit with a “deadly” product. Many even went so far as to hide the truth from their workers and their families. And because the normal latency period for Mesothelioma (The time from exposure until the patient falls ill) is 20 to 30 years, many got away with this for years. We are only now beginning to see the full effects of the disease, and feel the terrible outcry of the people against those who put profits before human lives to a degree that is simply unfathomable.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.