FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 'Jeopardy!' Ace Ken Jennings to Get Show

Author Topic: 'Jeopardy!' Ace Ken Jennings to Get Show
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.wtopnews.com/index.php?nid=114&sid=522797

Normally, I'd think this was ridiculous but I like that little dude! [Big Grin]

Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
It IS ridiculous. But so was "Win Ben Stein's Money," and that show worked because Ben Stein was both intelligent and witty. If Jennings can learn to be witty, this show could -- in theory -- be watchable.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I would watch it, if I get that channel. That's saying a lot, as I am not real fond of most TV shows. . .

Kwea

[ May 24, 2005, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
Ken is the patron saint of Mormon nerds.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Research has shown that our viewers are clamoring for more shows hosted by software engineers from Utah and, fortunately, Ken was available and had a screen test handy," said Lauren Corrao, senior vp original programing and head of development at Comedy Central.

Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

- posted      Profile for steven   Email steven         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question for anyone who has watched Sean Connery on Celebrity Jeopardy. Does he really act like the idiot that Darrell Hammond plays him to be on SNL's "Celebrity Jeopardy"?
Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Portabello:
Ken is the patron saint of Mormon nerds.

It's true. I even have a shrine.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Steven: The basis for those celebrity jeopardy SNL skits (which I love) is that the questions on celebrity jeopardy are ridiculously easy. All the celebrities in the SNL are idiots because if you watch regular jeopardy and then celebrity jeopardy right after it, you'll think all the celebrity contestants MUST be idiots. Connery got so outrageous because in the early ones he was the most popular character and they built on that.

"I know kung fu"
"For the last time, no you do not."

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

"buck futter"

am I still 12? Why is that so funny? I guess it's the thought of someone, at Connery's age, acting like that.

Posts: 3354 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'll take analbumcover for 500"

Still cracks me up.

"I'll take The penismightier."

Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

My previous roommate had ALL of the SNL celeb jeopardy skits on his computer, and we would also giggle like 12 year olds at the hijinx therein.

"Ah, Trebek, we meet again!" Connery's antagonism of Trebek was the funniest part of it to me. Also good was Norm McDonald as Burt Reynolds.

"Once again, nobody has any points so nobody wins the game."
"No, I won."
"You did not win, Mr. Reynolds."
"Sure I did."

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

I'm just concerned that, at age 29, I should be getting over the humor involved in "buck futter". However, I'm laughing until tears come to my eyes at the stuff that Hammond's
Connery character comes up with. It is almost like Ramirez from the Highlander is saying that stuff. It's just so weird to see Connery's macho manner combined with such demented behavior.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

It's the delivery. The childlike joy he takes in screaming "buck futter!" is infectious.

The actual Sean Connery once said in an interview "But impersonating me is easy. You just throw in a bunch of extra H's everywhere."

"I jusht thought of shome more foreign ladies I've shnogged."

Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone else see that one funny Jewish guy on real Jeopardy pull out a Sean Connery line? Alex Trebek kind of smiled patiently and said "I see you're a fan of Saturday Night Live."
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
Member # 8099

Buck Futter!
steven
Member # 8099

I did not, Annie. Which line was it? ahhh, if only it could have been ""will it mighty my penis, man?"

I said, "buck futter!"

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Time for the audio daily double. What continent is this:
"ASIA!"
Anyone? Anyone have any idea at all?

A small part of me feels bad for continuing to quote SNL jeopardy lines here, but the rest of me realizes I'm at work, bored, and pretty much out of work to do.

"Sabre!"
"No, it isn't swords."
"It starts with an S, man!"

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.