FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wiccans ordered not to expose their son to 'non-mainstream' religion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wiccans ordered not to expose their son to 'non-mainstream' religion
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Linky.

Now, it's not that I like Wiccans any more than I like Christians, but this is just plain ridiculous. Perhaps someone on the right would care to comment about 'activist judges'?

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's utterly ridiculous, especially given that neither parent desired such a restriction.

Perhaps someone on the left would care to drop the pissy little questions. And maybe look into all the "right-wing" organizations who went to bat for Native Americans who wished to consume peyote as part of their religious rituals.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That's insane. I don't agree with Wiccan beliefs myself, but so what?
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
>>Perhaps someone on the right would care to comment about 'activist judges'?<<

Sure. It's not right in this case any more than any of the other cases I've heard people squeal about it.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe the judge's decision wasn't overturned immediately.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
This is crazy. Go ACLU.
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
The ICLU (Indiana branch of the ACLU) is already on it, I bet it will be overturned with rapidity.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
That's absolutely nuts and I can't imagine it will stand up. Yeah, I'm Christian and I would love to see the boy raised in a Christian home but guess what? It's not my kid. And the rights that I have to raise my children Christian are the same ones this family has to raise their child Wiccan, if they so choose.

Religious freedom is the issue here, you may not like the parent's choices, but they do have the right to choose their own religious beliefs and practices.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
-edited-

Sorry. I was trying to be flippant and came across as rather offensive. I apologize.

[ May 26, 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Annie ]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Annie, Christianity as a whole has done quite a bit to discredit itself at times, too, but an awful lot of people take it very seriously. And since (I believe) we have a couple Wiccans here, your words might be a little harsher than you may have intended.

<Reads link.>

Yeah, it's ridiculous and offensive and a judge should know better.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
I think Wicca does enough to discredit itself; I'm not particularly worried that a child would grow up to honestly take it seriously.

This could also be said of any religion, mainstream or otherwise, that members of this board practice.

This coming from an agnostic without much stake in any religion, but a sort of awed respect for people who manage to believe in anything. It's insulting to distill any religion to its most ridiculous stereotypes. I'm sure everyone on this board has been the brunt of that sort of thing at one time or another, but I may be wrong in assuming that it would make us less quick to judge.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

I've got agree with Pop on this one Annie. Clearly, I don't believe Wicca to be true. But then there's a whole lot of us on the board who don't consider each other's religion (if any) to be true. If we wish to maintain a collegial atmosphere, mutual respect of others' beliefs even while firmly believing them to be untrue is necessary.

Implications of dishonesty amongst those who take a particular belief seriously don't seem particularly respectful to me.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Dag, I guess you might know, is there a disciplinary process for judges who just out and out violate their responsibilities this way? Like when the higher court rules that there is no way anyone could think that this was constituional, does something bad happen to the judge or is his decision just overturned?

edit: Pops, for clarification, are Annie's words (and porter's laughter, which he's apparently since deleted instead of appologizing for - nice) actually worse because we have Wiccan members? I figured that it would be just as bad if she mocked Sikhs or some other religion that I don't think we have members of here.

[ May 26, 2005, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: MrSquicky ]

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a complete violation of the Constitution. It will be overturned, but will anything happen to the judge I wonder?
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Jinx, EM, you owe me a coke.
Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
I think Wicca does enough to discredit itself; I'm not particularly worried that a child would grow up to honestly take it seriously.

There are tens of thousands of practicing Wicca and Pagens in the US alone. Someone grows up to take it seriously it would seem. [Wink]
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Jinx, EM, you owe me a coke.

D'OH! [Big Grin]
1lobo1
Member # 7762

- posted      Profile for 1lobo1   Email 1lobo1         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just outrageous.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
Dag, I guess you might know, is there a disciplinary process for judges who just out and out violate their responsibilities this way? Like when the higher court rules that there is no way anyone could think that this was constituional, does something bad happen to the judge or is his decision just overturned?
Not really. Impeachment isn't suitable as a response to bad legal reasoning, as much as I might wish it to be in my weaker moments. Strong language in the appellate decision can be used in against the judge future elections or appointments. Future violations of an explicit override might be subject to sanction, but we're a long ways from there. Incompetence in general would have to be shown by a pattern, and technically that's not even a reason for removal in the federal courts.

Where a judge can get in trouble is where a clear outside influence prevailed. Bribery is the obvious and easy example. Failing to disclose a relationship with one of the parties is another. Overt racism or religious bigotry becomes harder to prove. Although clearly outrageous decisions will be given more weight in such an analysis, they will not in and of themselves provide enough proof to take action.

In this case, a pattern of anti-Wiccan decisions or a public record of a lot of anti-Wiccan speech (far more than merely refuting their beliefs) would be necessary to move against the judge, I think.

Dagonee

Portabello
Member # 7710

- posted      Profile for Portabello   Email Portabello         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There are tens of thousands of practicing Wicca and Pagens in the US alone. Someone grows up to take it seriously it would seem.
I wonder how much the children of Wiccans tend to carry on in their parent's religion. Is the percentage higher or lower than for more mainstream religions?
Posts: 751 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Squick -- I don't necessarily think they're worse, but they have an even greater chance of offending someone here.

To try to illustrate -- I believe telling racist jokes is inappropriate no matter who is present, but telling them in the presence of someone of the race in question is perhaps more likely to result in offense rather than simply distaste.

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the people I know do not practice their parent's religion in any significant way. Even the UberBaptists next door have heathens for parents, not other Baptists.

Which is kinda funny, if you think about it.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

So, unless he does some really big stuff, it comes down mostly to public opinion, where, I think it's likely having a history of trying to unconstitutionally force "mainstream" religions on people isn't exactly going to hurt you. Ah well.
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
This is craziness. Hasn't this judge ever heard of freedom of religion? What right does he have to ban parents from teaching their son any religion they want to?

One question is how did the judge find out the parents practice Wicca if neither one brought it up?

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
This fanatic judge is what those of us on the left and many in the middle fear from the right. When you have evangelical groups running ads a gavel and a bible and saying "Judges shouldn't have to choose" you get many people nervous.

Howver those nerves could be soothed over, and a moderate main-stream concensous could be reached. Then a fool like this judge just scares everyone all over again.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

quote:
Originally posted by Portabello:
quote:
There are tens of thousands of practicing Wicca and Pagens in the US alone. Someone grows up to take it seriously it would seem.
I wonder how much the children of Wiccans tend to carry on in their parent's religion. Is the percentage higher or lower than for more mainstream religions?
A good question. I bet there is no hard data though because most Wicca practice by themselves. There is no central "church" per se, and the individual covens normally do not interact with other covens except during festivals as far as I know. I have been doing some research on Wicca and Paganism. If I come across any hard data on that I'll let you all know.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
So, unless he does some really big stuff, it comes down mostly to public opinion, where, I think it's likely having a history of trying to unconstitutionally force "mainstream" religions on people is exactly going to hurt you. Ah well.
Historically, attempts to force parents to not expose their children to the parents' religion has been met with enormous hostility by people most commonly associated with the religious right. Again, check out who filed briefs in the Smith case. As another example, the Christian Legal Society filed an amicus brief to support the right to use Hoasco Tea in a religious ceremony.

These types of groups will usually be at the forefront of a pure free exercise case, while they will typically split widely on establishment clause cases. So your fear of widespread support of having mainstream religions forced on others isn't applicable in this case, I don't think.

Dagonee

Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
This fanatic judge is what those of us on the left and many in the middle fear from the right.
Funny, this is exactly parallel to what those of us on the right fear from the left with respect to judges.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Hmmm...that's interesting Dag. I didn't know that. I hope that this is true.

On the other comment, you fear that judges will legally bind parents to not teach their children Christianity? From my perspective, I don't think you have anything to worry about on that score.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is something that the right and the left can unite on, though perhaps for different motivations (or perhaps not): the judge is clearly in the wrong here.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
I think this is something that the right and the left can unite on, though perhaps for different motivations (or perhaps not): the judge is clearly in the wrong here.

Agreed.
Portabello
Member # 7710

I don't see why the right and left would have different motivations -- none of us want anybody else to tell us what to do concerning religion.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, neither do I, but I could concieve of it happening, so I said it to forestall comments on it.

See how well that worked?

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the other comment, you fear that judges will legally bind parents to not teach their children Christianity? From my perspective, I don't think you have anything to worry about on that score.
Not now, perhaps. But it has happened in the past, and there's really nothing preventing it from happening in the future. Civilizations come and go...and we really don't know what's going to happen. I know that a lot of us believe that the "end times" will have quite a lot of religious persecution--though we might disagree on which group we believe will be persecuted. But even if you don't believe that, you can look at history and the way nations rise and fall and understand that religions have been persecuted over and over throughout the history of the world and it can and probably will happen again in whole or in part to Christianity.

And when it happens, we'll have no justification to complain about it if we stood idly by and let the same thing happen to other religions--simply because we didn't agree with them.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

There's people on both sides who don't want anyone to tell them what to do concerning religion. There are also people on both sides who don't want anyone to tell other people what to do concerning religion. At some point, I hope we could have a country where most people were in the second group.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

quote:
you fear that judges will legally bind parents to not teach their children Christianity? From my perspective, I don't think you have anything to worry about on that score.
Not precisely - I said it was parallel. Although I have seen several cases of orders preventing one parent from taking another to a particular church where the "winning" side was non-Christian and the "losing" side was Christian. But I don't fear those in the current situation any more than I fear that this order here will stand.

I was really getting at prohibitions that limit the ability of a person to act on their conscience or religious beliefs. For example, many Catholic organizations must cover birth control in California if they cover prescriptions for their employees.

Dagonee

Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
This is just nuts. I wish that a judge could be impeached for this. It is a clear misuse of power. It is like he forgot what country he was in...and that we have a constitution.

The reason that people on the right are so against this...is many of us have been saying all along, that the constitution is not meant to protect the government from the religion of its citizens (or to allow the government to protect others from being exposed to the religion of other citizens), but to protect people's right to practice their own religion without interference from the government. An insane ruling like this violates that right that those of us on the right value. What religion that the courts are oppressing is irrelevant, it is still the government oppressing a religion.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Portabello:
I don't see why the right and left would have different motivations -- none of us want anybody else to tell us what to do concerning religion.

I think a lot of the left's concerns arise, Porter, when it seems as if right-wing political leaders are trying to do exactly that--making laws based on religion, which is where the whole right and left thing comes into this particular mess.

I do agree, though, that most people on both sides of the political spectrum are going to view this particular case the same way (unless they believe there should be a state religion--and there are people out there that do).

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

Thanks for bringing that into focus Megan. I myself could not think how to do it exactly.

Good job on both points.

MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Katarain,
From what I see, thre are plenty of people in the religious majority who are blithely willing to force their religion on others in ways that would have them screaming bloodly murder if it were done to them. So I don't really buy that argument.

Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, Mr. Monkey. Nice to meet you!

(I originally said Welcome, and then realized you'd been here a while, and I'd just never seen you before. [Big Grin] )

Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Squicky, I believe a large number of folk would disagree with how you likely define "force their religion on others." That said, I think, sadly, that I agree with you. And I wonder at times if I'm one of those to whom you refer, despite my trying not to be.

--Pop

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

Indeed MrSquicky. I have been screamed at to my face by a Quaker, a Christian, and several Catholics. All claimed I was going to burn in hell because I am an agnostic.

The Quaker was hilarious.
The Chrsitian would hear no one's views but her own.
The group of Catholics came pretty close to getting knocked out by me. The were so violent that they were almost spitting in my face.

Katarain
Member # 6659

quote:
Originally posted by MrSquicky:
Katarain,
From what I see, thre are plenty of people in the religious majority who are blithely willing to force their religion on others in ways that would have them screaming bloodly murder if it were done to them. So I don't really buy that argument.

Um.... yeah.... I agree with that. I never said otherwise. There is a disturbingly large amount of so-called Christians who want to trample all over the religious freedom of others and call it the good and right thing to do. I never argued against that. I argued that it definitely IS possible, even likely, that at some point in the future, whether it be 10 years or a 1000 years, Christians will be persecuted for their religious beliefs--and that if they have continued to ignore or inflict religious persecution on others then they have no justification for whining about it. So what about that argument don't you buy...because your comment didn't really seem to address mine.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portabello
Member # 7710

quote:
I think a lot of the left's concerns arise, Porter, when it seems as if right-wing political leaders are trying to do exactly that--making laws based on religion, which is where the whole right and left thing comes into this particular mess.
Um, that is not exactly the same. Making laws that are influenced on people's religion is not the same as making laws (or judgments) about somebody's religion.

To me, those are completely different things.

You might find them both equally objectionable, but don't just lump them together and expect me to go along with it.

Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

quote:
Originally posted by Megan:
No problem, Mr. Monkey. Nice to meet you!

(I originally said Welcome, and then realized you'd been here a while, and I'd just never seen you before. [Big Grin] )

I haven't been here all that long. I lurked for a while and then went off on OSC the other day. He replied back to me in a cool headed manner and it made me reconcider how I looked at things.
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

Yeah Pop, it's like the bigotry thing from the other side. People often aren't aware of why things are wrong unless they actually get the perspective of having them turned on them. Some (I'd argue a lot) of them know that they are forcing their religion on people, but quite a few don't realize it because they lack the perspective. Not having others' religion forced on them, they don't realize that they are actually doing this to others.

Although, of course there are examples like Dag provided where you could argue that people are being forced to act against their own beliefs (although I feel ambigiously about that example).

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

"But we should be allowed to force this religion on them, because this religion is true."
Katarain
Member # 6659

quote:
I haven't been here all that long. I lurked for a while and then went off on OSC the other day. He replied back to me in a cool headed manner and it made me reconcider how I looked at things.
Heh... yeah.. and you called Dagonee (and ScottR--but I'm not familiar with his posting style--although he seemed fine in that thread) a spammer... flamer... etc., which I found so shocking...and completely absurd. You've been blessed to not meet a real spammer or flamer, obviously... [Smile]

But welcome anyway.. with your rapidity of posting, you'll soon overtake those with low post counts like mine.

-Katarain:)

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have been screamed at to my face by a Quaker, a Christian, and several Catholics. All claimed I was going to burn in hell because I am an agnostic.
1) Quakers and Catholics are Christian.

2) I really, really doubt that a Quaker screamed that you were going to "burn in hell."

Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.