FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Keeping Lyrics to Two Lines(why is this not clear?)

Author Topic: Keeping Lyrics to Two Lines(why is this not clear?)
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
No, we cannot just ignore it when someone posts more than two lines of a song, because of we do, the moderators will not.

So, please, it is not hard, and I would like ths thread to stay around.

Just keep lyrics to two lines or less.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless they're not under copyright.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Elizabeth. I don't check the thread every time I'm here, so I appreciate the heads-up.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Or there's permission from the copyright holder.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

If lyrics are not under copyright, please state that.

Traditional tunes are open season, but I usually write that.

To be safe, I just credit everything. Hoever, I believe "The Lord of the Rings" is copyrighted, and that was where the quote in question came from.(or "The Hobbit?")

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
All works associated with JRR Tolkien (in all forms) are quite thoroughly copyrighted, yes.

Crediting them is a nice politeness.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Mahabarata, if you see this, you didn;t have to delete the lines, just pare them down to two lines!
(no pun intended)

Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
Mahabarata didn't edit it.

"[ May 26, 2005, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Papa Janitor ]"

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Are we so certain that fair use is only 2 lines of a book as well? We routinely quote longer passages from novels. Whether or not a song or poem from within a novel has a different rule, I don't know.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The two-line limit is an arbitrary rule. Certainly, in many cases, much more could be quoted without leaving the confines of fair use.

However, two lines is almost always safe, and it's the limit our hosts (I think) have selected based on their comfort level and desire to respect others' intellectual property.

With respect to songs, two lines is probably much safer, whereas quoting 20 lines from a book might actually be safer.

In other words, Hatrack's rule is more stringent than the outer bounds of fair use. And given the near mystical means required to define those outer bounds, it seems like a fair compromise.

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, did the thread actually get deleted?! I saw Papa Janitor's earlier edit of Mahabarata's post, and I thought it was all ok... o_O

Edit: Nevermind, there it is again.

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.