FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Golden Rule of Child Rearing

Author Topic: The Golden Rule of Child Rearing
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the Golden Rule corallar for child raising:

Never use a method to win an argument with your child that you don't want the child to use on you.

They learn.

Its obvious that if you beat your child to win the argument, when they grow up they will use the same strategy on you. Not a way I want to spend my retirement.

Similary, and despite its portrayal on TV, guilt can be a devastating and damaging tool to force people to do what they want. If you use motherly guilt to force your child to do thier homework, then expect them to use family guilt to force you into an inexpensive retirement home.

"Ah, we'd like to upgrade you to a place where they don't resell your medication mom, but then how could we afford to pay for Jr's orthodontry. We could sacrifice his entire future to make you a bit more comfortable I suppose."

My problem is logic. I used calm rational thinking, in a logical format, to present calm rational reasons why my son should go to bed.

He's learned.

Now he responds with calm rational questions, in a deliberately slow and thoughtful voice.

My son has mastered Roberts Rules of Order.

He is open to organized debate because while he is debating he isn't sleeping.

Yes, my son is filibustering his bed time.

Like Frist, I may have to change the rules of the house..er..senate..er you know what I mean.

No violence, no guilt, no talking rationally. Gee, all that's left is leading by example. #@$@#, now I have to be good and clean and all that stupid stuff.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]

I love that kid.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
Having the same problem with Super-K. I'd forgotten that 'Why?' can be asked to any statement.

I've found that Authoritarianism is the best form of family government.

[Smile]

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] Sasha is so smart to learn that at 5!

Matthew is a consumate debator, so much that we have joked that he should consider law or politics. Unfortunately, I hate to lose an argument so sometimes the fact that it's my child argueing with me becomes secondary to winning through logic. (telling him to go to his room would be cheating).

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
It is even worse when you teach them to be polite, and to "use their words." Who came up with that crap?

My daughter, at 3:

"Mommy, I do not care for this pizza."

Me:" But you love pizza. This is just a little different kind."

"Mommy, I love you, and I think you are the bestest cook, I just don't like this kind of pizza."

Polite. Using her words. Expressing her feelings. Not throwing food.

Yet, somehow, so much worse...

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

Dan, every time I read a Sasha at home with you and your wife story I get a little warm tingle.

I am so happy your family worked out. And that we get the stories. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan... whenever you need a babysitter, just let me know, ok?
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
One of my major concerns with the thought of having children is that they will likely have my husband's debating skills, also, that they will probably be smarter than us.

Therefore, our primary objective should be teach them mercy for the weak and infirm.

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

There are times I think I ended up with one of Bean's lost kids. I know they have them all accounted for, but I'm still not too sure.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of my major concerns with the thought of having children is that they will likely have my husband's debating skills, also, that they will probably be smarter than us.
quote:
Now he responds with calm rational questions, in a deliberately slow and thoughtful voice.
You people are giving me GREAT hope for humanity.

Thank you!

[ROFL]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
I am laughing so, so, so very hard right now. I cannot even tell you.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
When my son was 5 or so, I sent him upstairs to his room for cursing. As he stormed up the stairs, he said (ostensibly to himself, but obviously loud enough for us to hear), "So how come you two are allowed to curse, but I'm not? Oh, I get it--because you're grown ups!"

Trust me, the only way to avoid this is to never teach them to speak, or think.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
There are times I think I ended up with one of Bean's lost kids. I know they have them all accounted for, but I'm still not too sure.

Hmmm, that wasn't the impression I got when i read the book... I thought there was one more child out there?
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Elizabeth...your story is absolutely amazing! [Smile]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Phanto,
She is eleven now.
It is more frightening than anything else. Somehow, it is easier when girls have an "attitude" that you can call them out for.

"Don't give me that look!"
"I don't like your tone, Missy."

When they are polite, and throw therapy-speak right back at you, what else do you have to turn to?

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Democrats are using a 5 year olds tactic--the filibuster. I was ready to counter that most politics is at a five year old level.

From Plausible Deniability being just another name for that invisible friend they try to blame for everything to CYA being the same as "Not Me".

How many political theories out there boil down to the three year olds chant, "Mine, mine, mine" or how many political strategies can be explained as "If you don't let us win I'm taking my ball and going home."

Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with logic is that so many things are illogical. I know what you mean, though. I delight in the texture of varied language. It is so amusing to use the language of lawsuits against random, annoying people:

"You're hurting my feelings. You're making me feel bad. That is just not nice."

And, as a plus side, I can say "that hurts my feelings" without sounding like a teacher trying to teach kids the 'right' thing to do. I shound like, instead, a 40 year old disenfranchised [INSERT CHARACTERISTIC HERE] threatening a lawsuit.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
"Never reason with a child."

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ReikoDemosthenes
Member # 6218

- posted      Profile for ReikoDemosthenes   Email ReikoDemosthenes         Edit/Delete Post 
*giggles madly* this thread amuses me to no end
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Never reason with a child."

Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Well, maybe not never, but sometimes it's good advice.

"I don't have to get up early tomorrow. Why do I need to go to bed?"
"Because you are tired and get grumpy when you don't sleep right."
This exchange would most likely be followed by another "rational argument".

"I don't have to get up early tomorrow. Why do I need to go to bed?"
"Because in this house, the rule is that you need to obey me when I tell you to do something. Go to bed."
This could be argued with, but you have now brought in The House Rules, and therefore have the right of punishment if not obeyed rather quickly.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
You can always threaten them with grapefruit spoons and electric-shock dog collars.

Not at the same time, of course. That would be wrong.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I can't even threaten him with Broccoli or No Icecream. He doesn't like Ice Cream and loves Broccoli.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried threatening him with icecream and no broccoli?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Or saying, fine, you can have broccoli...in your ice cream.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Broccoli ice cream? Have you been watching Iron Chef again?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

No, just shows on different forms of torture, Dag.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ah, Lifetime Channel, eh?
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Nope. Fox News.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

Ah, yes. Good thing they keep us up to date on what the liberals are doing to us. [Razz]
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, our oldest tries to renegotiate bedtime every once in awhile. He is clever, logical, and persuasive. Sometimes we just have to pull out the, "Because I am your Mother/Father and I told you so."

So far that usually settles it--even if he doesn't like it. But I know when he gets older things will be different.

The thing is, children often think they are the equals of their parents, our oldest in particular. I remind him often that I've lived longer than he does and I know more than he does, giving specific examples. He respects that--especially since he knows that I do listen to what he says respectfully and take it into account.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, all those liberals in power in our government, they're the ones doing things to us [Razz]
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I am sorry but if I dared threatened to, or actually was forced to withhold broccolli from my child who sought to eat the nutritious food, 10,000 generations of past mothers would come back to dope slap me upside my head.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd buy tickets to that.

No offense Dan.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think food should be used as a punishment. A favorite meal or snack as an incentive where one would usually be having a meal or snack, sure. But taking away food just leaves the child hungry, taking away dessert means they expect dessert when they behave (we don't have dessert every day in our house, just sometimes), and forcing them to eat something they really don't like promotes an unhealthy attitude toward food, especially that food.

Also, I loved broccoli in vanilla ice cream as a child.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but Dan, you could retire on the profits. And the National Enquirer story.

"Man refuses to feed broccoli to child".

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Ketchpqueen, we were joking.
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
After many, many years of trying, I have finally succeeded in getting through to Liam that when I tell him not to do something, I have a good reason.

Frex, running or not holding my hand in parking lots, and so forth. I'd tell him not to do something, and occassionally he'd get hurt before I could stop him (nothing major). I'd comfort him and tell him that I've been around a lot longer than he has, and I know how things work a bit more than he does, so sometimes I can see how he might get hurt doing something. He may not see the danger, but he should trust me.

Now he does obey me first, and asks his questions later. This is generally good.

I forget where we were, but the other day he was walking with us, but flinging his arms around next to a railing on the walk way. Another long-standing instruction is to stay out of the way of other grown ups - this is both a sfety and a politeness thing.

He stopped and used the railing to lif himself off the ground, and began swinging his legs. I said, "Liam, stop that."

He did. [Eek!]

Then he said, "Because I could get hurt?"

I explained that that was part of it, but mostly it was that he nearly kicked several people around him in the three seconds he was doing it, and I didn't want other people to be hurt either.

He blinked those HUGE slate blue eyes at me, processing the information. "Oh."

I think he was a little shocked at the idea that I thought about the safety of other people, too. *wry smile* Can't blame HIM for that -- the major focus of my life for at least five years has been keeping Danger Boy out of harm's way, and he knows it.

Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Elizabeth, I knew that. I was making a larger point; my almost-step-mother has major food issues because she was forced to eat everything put in front of her. Always.
romanylass
Member # 6306

I was too. But only certain foods or preperations bother me. Like brussel sprouts...I will never, ever eat one because I remember having to eat frozen brussel sprouts that had been boiled and garnished with cider vinegar. Actually, every vegetable I ate as achild was presented that was ( sometimes, we had canned veggies for variety).
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

It could be worse. I heard a major New York food critic explaining her life long love of cooking began as self defence. Her mother routinely poisoned them with her lack of food skills (and hygene).
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
Was that on Fresh Air? She was fantastic.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.