FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "Think on these things" - Death and the future

Author Topic: "Think on these things" - Death and the future
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Mimi, my grandmother on my mother's side, passed away last Saturday after 4 years of hospitalization following a stroke. Yesterday we had the first of two church services for her and, today, she was buried.

Mimi was an amazing woman - a faithful wife, a devoted mother, a doting grandmother, and a delightful friend. She was a class act even in a hospital bed, and her senses of humor and vitality persisted through to the end. Before the stroke, she taught my cousins and I how to blow giant bubbles using coat hangers and which of the wild things in the garden were okay to eat. She was also known for her practical jokes, including icing a rubber-foam "cake" for my sweet-toothed grandfather one year. But she was always loving in all she did. My grandpa got a real cake to go with the fake one, and every holiday she gave out kisses and hugs as if doing so was her greatest purpose.

I did the second reading at yesterday's service, and I can't help thinking how appropriate it was to her life:

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I shall say it again - rejoice!

Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is near.

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is good, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think on these things. Think on and do what you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you." ~ Phillipians

My grandmother was all of those things and so much more, not just to me but to all she met. It touched me beyond words when her friends came over to tell me that I took after her and that we, her children and grandchildren, were her salvation. And I sincerely hope that she took her sense of humor with her to heaven, because I started reading too early and had to stand on the altar through a whole song before checking with the priest that this time it was okay to speak [Big Grin] .

Mostly though, I simply hope to truly take after her as much as those who knew her suggested. My grandmother was, to me, the epitome of what a woman should be and, though I know I could never be her, I would nevertheless like to emulate her as much as possible. I'm sure we all have someone like that in our lives and I hope that yours is still living. For me, the passage of my grandmother was a poignant reminder of what I'm coming to see as the end of an era or generation of class - of life and love and laughter and dignity. Sad as it is, I'm still hopeful though that we all can carry on a little of our grandmothers or grandfathers or whoever inspires us into the future. Maybe that way "the good old days" of rubber-foam cakes can continue in a style as unforgettable as the people who make them [Smile] .

[ May 28, 2005, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Pixie ]

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bunbun
Member # 6814

- posted      Profile for bunbun   Email bunbun         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixie,

I am so sorry for your grandmother's passing, but I really enjoyed reading about her. I love the foam cake idea.

Thank you for posting this.

Eve

Posts: 516 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memory_guilded
Member # 8092

- posted      Profile for memory_guilded   Email memory_guilded         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather passed away about two months ago. Like your grandmother, he was so full of life. He suffered from dementia, but even though he was confused he still managed to make us laugh.

I wasn't prepared to speak at his memorial. When I got up there, I immediately wept and described to everyone the confidence and appreciation for life he instilled in me. My grandpa wasn't just a fun guy, he was the most encouraging person. Always pushing me to do my very best, always believing in me. What I'm carrying with me now is his unshakable faith and tenacity.

I think that is what's most important when grieving for the loss of a loved one. Remembering what it is they taught you, the good memories and light they brought to your life. You and I are very, very blessed!

~M

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Pixie, my condolences. It sounds like she was a truly great woman that you were blessed to have in your life.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs Pixie*
I too enjoyed reading about your grandmother, she sounds like a wonderful person.

Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.