FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » birth control disaster (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: birth control disaster
memory_guilded
Member # 8092

- posted      Profile for memory_guilded   Email memory_guilded         Edit/Delete Post 
CRAP.

A few days ago I went in for a quick refill on my new birth control. The doctor said, "You do know that there are some medications that interact with birth control pills?" I nodded. My last doctor informed me that birth control speeds up the body's drug metabolism for some anti-seizure medications, none of which I was taking.

"There are some drugs that will cause birth control not to work. Some nutritional supplements, meds for seizures..."

I told her that I was on anti-seizure medications, but I thought b/c pills only sped up my metabolism for them. Then she explained to me that only *certain kinds* are sped up, other kinds basically neutralize the effects of the pill.

And guess what... one of the meds I was taking is one of those kinds.

So I took a pregnancy test. It's positive. I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS. I know I'll be a wonderful mom (I work at a daycare for the simple fact that I LOVE children) but I am not ready for a baby. I'm 20 years old!!! [Frown]

My boyfriend of almost a year is going to marry me, which is good. We have both entertained thoughts of marriage ever since we met. We were definitely made for each other, and I know we're going be VERY happy- but still... I wasn't planning on having a kid for a long time. I'm not ready to give up 18 years of my freedom... not yet.

Anyway, all the forums I frequent I've posted this rant. For the women on birth control- make sure your doctors know what you're taking! I researched it on the Internet and found out that nutritional supplements like Ginseng and Black Cohosh, and even St. John's Wort can cause the pill to not work. Not to mention some anti-biotics. >.<

I just hope that what happened to me doesn't happen to anyone else. It really, really sucks.

~M

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy.

I'm glad that you are in a situation where you can have a family and the baby, but still.

*oh boy*

(memory_guilded)

I'm with you on the lack of information thing - my mother is a doctor, so luckily she told me (and I told my friends) some of the lesser known ones.

Including Vitamin C - more than 1000mg a day of Vitamin C can interfere with the pill's absorption and cause it to become less effective.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh man. [Frown]

My doctors are very careful about what they prescribe and what I'm on and making SURE that there aren't any unplanned pregnancies. People do have to be educated. [Frown]

Good luck.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memory_guilded
Member # 8092

- posted      Profile for memory_guilded   Email memory_guilded         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned about the Vitamin C on Thursday. Which sucks, because I drink a lot of Emergen-C. >.<

~M

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

I realize this is a bit of "barn doors after the horses" bit of cliche, but:

Nothing short of abstinence is absolutely guaranteed as being pregnancy proof. This includes condoms, birth control pills, contraceptives and any combinations thereof.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of luck Memory.

On a side note--Trevor
quote:
Nothing short of abstinence is absolutely guaranteed as being pregnancy proof. This includes condoms, birth control pills, contraceptives and any combinations thereof.

Abstinence and homosexuality that is.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Good point.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow,
I wish you all the luck in the world.

Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memory_guilded
Member # 8092

quote:
Originally posted by TMedina:
I realize this is a bit of "barn doors after the horses" bit of cliche, but:

-Trevor

I agree. That's why I've chosen not to have an abortion- because by having sex I put myself at risk. I just wish that I could have been told, and maybe this wouldn't have happened.
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all medications come with an insert that does tell you all you need to know, like what medications will interact with it but most people throw it away instead of reading it. They assume their doctor remembered to tell you everything that's on it.
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

*grins* I dunno why that slipped my mind Dan, but you're absolutely right. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
I am on the pill, always read the piece of paper over and over and the only thing I can find is : If you are taking a medication you are not sure of, then refer to your doctor. Or something to that effect.
Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am sorry you're not ready for it. But I'm glad you're going in a positive direction with it.

And I had a baby at 20, and she's just wonderful. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amka
Member # 690

- posted      Profile for Amka   Email Amka         Edit/Delete Post 
I was 21 when I had my oldest child. Don't think of it as losing freedom. Forty to Fifty is still quite young. Some people are starting their families then, and having quite the opposite problem than you. Think of it as gaining freedom younger than many of your peers will.
Posts: 3495 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that as time goes on you will be able to be excited about this--in spite of the shock it is to you now. I spent a lot of one of my pregnancies being afraid of what was to come, and if I knew then what I know now, I would have relaxed and enjoyed it more.

Thank goodness pregnancy takes 9 months. [Wink]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Also, if you really feel that you aren't ready to raise a child yet, you could also look into putting the baby up for adoption.
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theresa51282
Member # 8037

- posted      Profile for theresa51282   Email theresa51282         Edit/Delete Post 
It sucks that you didn't know about the interaction between the pills. Have you ever heard the Kenny Chesney song "There goes my life" I think it expresses the sentiment of a lot of the young moms I know. I am sure this will enrich your life even if it wasn't the most planned of events. Good luck!

Theresa

Posts: 416 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mama Squirrel
Member # 4155

- posted      Profile for Mama Squirrel   Email Mama Squirrel         Edit/Delete Post 
memory_guilded,

I am sorry you find yourself in this situation. I am glad your boyfriend is supportive. That is wonderful!

There is a website I frequent that you might want to check out. It is www.americanbaby.com. There are forums there. I am sure you will find a few women in your position. You can sign up for weekly e-mails for your stage of pregnancy. You can also get a 1 year free subscription to the American Baby magazine.

Good luck!

Posts: 399 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, and I am sure it will all work out for the best. You love kids, and that means that the child will be very, very loved and very lucky to have you as it's mother.

Kwea

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
(((memory_guilded)))

I'm sorry it happened this way, but now I wish you all good luck in dealing with the situation! It seems to me that you're already on the right track. [Smile]

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dawnmaria
Member # 4142

- posted      Profile for dawnmaria   Email dawnmaria         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish you all the happiness in the world. Once you get used to the idea I am sure you'll love motherhood. You know how they say the grass is always greener, etc... I wish I had had my baby when I was much younger. I feel at 33 more tired, rundown, overwhelmed. I wish I still had that energy I had in my early 20s. Good luck and my prayers are with you. [Smile]
Posts: 601 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AvidReader
Member # 6007

- posted      Profile for AvidReader   Email AvidReader         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost wish I'd had a baby right out of high school. He or she would be getting ready to start school, and I'm just now going back to college part time. The timing really would have worked out well for me.

As it is, I won't be able to have one til I'm about 30, and my family is notorious for having parts not work so well by then. I hope you have a good support group you can rely on to help you watch the kid. And you always have hatrack for emotional support.

Good luck and congrats!

Posts: 2283 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just glad that you are going into this knowing that you will be a good (great!) mom. That you care and want to be a great parent is at least 1/2 the battle, IMHO.

I assume you're checking with the doctor now about effects of various meds during development. If you haven't, you should do that very soon. And start learning what to expect at what stages during the pregnancy so you can tell if your reaction is abnormal, and if so, what to do (or at least you'd know to call for help).

You've got some special circumstances and it's important that you adjust to those during gestation.

(((memory_guilded)))

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as we're recommending websites, at Babycenter you can sign up for weekly updates that tell you what baby's doing now and how he or she is growing, what you might be experiencing now, etc.; I found it really helpful. [Smile]

If you don't have a copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting, please e-mail me. I have three-- three people gave it to me when I was pregnant. It's that good. [Wink] Anyway, if you don't have a copy, tell me and I'll send you one. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes as you face these changes.

My midwife says there is a reason pregnancy takes 9 months- so we can prepare mentally. I admire the maturity of your attitude.

And while we're recommending websites, www.Mothering.com has great resources, and the forums probably have many moms who have walked your shoes.

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memory_guilded
Member # 8092

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
I'm just glad that you are going into this knowing that you will be a good (great!) mom. That you care and want to be a great parent is at least 1/2 the battle, IMHO.

I assume you're checking with the doctor now about effects of various meds during development. If you haven't, you should do that very soon. And start learning what to expect at what stages during the pregnancy so you can tell if your reaction is abnormal, and if so, what to do (or at least you'd know to call for help).

You've got some special circumstances and it's important that you adjust to those during gestation.

(((memory_guilded)))

I'm also very happy that my boyfriend (oops, now FIANCE) knows he will love the baby as well. <333 We're going to make fantastic parents.

On Tuesday I'm going to make my first prenatal appointment, specifically because I don't want any of my medications to interfere with the baby. It's going to be a pain in the ass if I have to switch, but as long as the baby is healthy... [Smile]

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume your doctor will find a set of meds that works for BOTH of you.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, at least now you can join the Hatrack Pregnant Mammas club! [Smile]

Depending on your religious perspective, you could figure that God/Fate/Whatever determined that the timing was right...

It sounds like you and your boyfriend are mature enough to handle the situation, and while it wasn't your ideal plan, you'll be able to roll with the unexpected punches of life and make it beautiful.

Babies are wonderful, amazing, and they DO change your life. But they also bring a lot of wisdom and power if you are ready for it.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to you, I went through a similar thing, except that I was already married. I was on birth control when I got pregnant with Natalie, and was not prepared and not at all that happy when I first found out. We had only been married three months, had very little money, I was planning on going back to finish school, and then I got surprised by the pregnancy.

It's been 12 years and I'm thrilled that things worked out the way they did. For one thing, I later had serious fertility issues, and had I waited to start my family when I thought was the right time I may not have had any at all. For another thing, Natalie is just plain awesome and I cannot imagine life without her.

You will be okay, but there will be an adjustment period for you. Take care of yourself, and lean on your supportive family and friends, and your fiance. I wish all of you the best!

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memory_guilded
Member # 8092

quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Gardener:

Babies are wonderful, amazing, and they DO change your life. But they also bring a lot of wisdom and power if you are ready for it.

We're definitely going to roll with the punches, because we both know that we're going to LOVE this baby. Now that I've had a few days to think about it, I'm actually getting excited!!
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! ^_^

It sounds like you guys really are going to do very well.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to you.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
esl
Member # 3143

- posted      Profile for esl   Email esl         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine having a kid.. I'm twenty, too. But I'm glad you're excited about it. Babies are happy [Smile] Congratulations!
Posts: 1056 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
Best of wishes... where are you located? if it's anywhere near the bloomington clump, I've already got them on babysitting duty for my 2 week old niece (and my sister thought she'd have trouble finding people to give her some time to sleep... lol)
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memory_guilded
Member # 8092

Anchorage, Alaska. [Razz]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's just a bit far for me to babysit mg, but Stryker, I'm serious I'd love to babysit Mary Beth sometime.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J T Stryker
Member # 6300

- posted      Profile for J T Stryker   Email J T Stryker         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, i know you would, but i like this child..... [Razz]
Posts: 1094 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Did you know that Parcel Post takes an average of 35 days to get from here to Anchorage? [Eek!]

I sent the book Priority. It's only about $1.25 more, and it averages 3 days. Sheesh.

memory_guilded
Member # 8092

35 days? Holy crap!

Thank you so much for book. And if Matt and I are in need of baby clothes, I'll definitely give you a holler. (((ketchup queen)))

~M

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You know, we had a girl, but even if you have a boy, ask us, because we dressed her in a lot of gender-neutral clothes for the first few months. So we have boy-appropriate clothes to spare as well as lots of girly clothes.

I know how it is to be young and poor and having a baby. (((hugs))) There may be other things you can have, as well; when the time comes, you tell me what you need, and we'll see what we have that we can send.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"We're definitely going to roll with the punches, because we both know that we're going to LOVE this baby."

That's about one one-thousandth of what the universe is about to require of you.

Only the most reprehensible sociopaths don't love their babies. Human babies have evolved over millions of years to be almost completely irresistible; they are shaped and tuned and programmed to do exactly those things which are most likely to make us love them.

This is because they are also needy, savage, completely monomaniacal dictators. They are simple, straightforward villains, lacking only moustaches to be a cliche. They will find the one thing you hate most in the world and do it over and over again, because your anguish brings them joy. They are, in a word, like what Darth Maul would be if he were a paraplegic version of Elmer Fudd.

But in their joy, they will gurgle sweetly. And so you will love them and hate them for making you love them. *grin*

Loving a baby is easy. Hating a baby is easy. Parenting is the tricky part. [Smile]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't know about that. But I do advise reading as much as you can about child development right now. It will really help you get through rough patches if you can say to yourself, "It's developmentally appropriate. She's learning about the world. It will pass. I am giving her needed boundries. It's developmentally appropriate. It means her brain is working right."

That, and "I'm going to get through tonight. Someday it will be over. I'm going to get through tonight. Some day it will be over."

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I love Hatrack.

It sounds like you're in a great frame of mind, memory-guilded.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memory_guilded
Member # 8092

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:

But in their joy, they will gurgle sweetly. And so you will love them and hate them for making you love them. *grin*

Loving a baby is easy. Hating a baby is easy. Parenting is the tricky part. [Smile]

Most certainly. I work with children for a living- and that is why I couldn't imagine myself having kids for a looong time. They can be the most irritating little monsters, but I truly believe that if you love a child you will also strive to be the best parent you can be. Loving your child and being a good parent aren't strangers to one another.

~M

memory_guilded
Member # 8092

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
"It's developmentally appropriate. She's learning about the world. It will pass. I am giving her needed boundries. It's developmentally appropriate. It means her brain is working right."

Ha! That is exactly what I tell myself when I'm with my 2 year old class at the daycare I work at. "They're todddddlers. Be paaaaatient."

But what I've found is that the stress of taking care of children is quite different from the stress of many other things. When I go home from work, I don't feel emotionally drained or wishing I didn't come into work that day. I think when my baby arrives, and I'm staying at home taking care of him/her, it will be more stressful- but I don't think it's something I will hate or feel dangerously overwhelmed with.

~M

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
The feelings come and go. It's hard to imagine not feeling love for your child, but there are those days. And you choose to act lovingly anyway. And the passion of your love for your child as it grows is fiercer than anything you've ever felt before. You're in for a wild ride. All the Hatrack parents giving you nuggets are very wise. Lucky you - you've already got quite the support system in place! [Smile]
Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck. Children are great! They are a lot of fun. They also take lots of hard work. Let us know if you need anything.

There is nothing like holding you new born baby. Knowing that the baby is part of you and that you would do anything for it. It's a wonderful experience.

Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Don't be surprised if you feel detached right after the birth, though. It took me a few hours for it to sink in that it was really over. It's almost like there's so much emotion involved, most of it shuts off to protect you from overload. It doesn't mean you're a bad mother or anything; probably the opposite. [Smile] Also, fear is normal and okay.
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
(((((memory_guilded)))))

Good Luck!

Reading the title of this thread I could think of so many worse scenarios than the one you have described. I'm so glad that you're able to have the baby, and that it will have two loving parents to take care of it, even if you weren't quite ready.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.