FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » birth control disaster (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: birth control disaster
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get your book yet? [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
memory_guilded
Member # 8092

- posted      Profile for memory_guilded   Email memory_guilded         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
Don't be surprised if you feel detached right after the birth, though. It took me a few hours for it to sink in that it was really over. It's almost like there's so much emotion involved, most of it shuts off to protect you from overload. It doesn't mean you're a bad mother or anything; probably the opposite. [Smile] Also, fear is normal and okay.

I was reading the book you sent me (THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! [Big Grin] ) and it said that post-partum depression usually only lasts a couple hours. I totally thought post-partum depression was like a long period of severe depression where you totally reject your child and regret ever giving birth to it.

So when I read that, I was relieved. [Smile] A few hours to sink in? That's fine by me.

~M

Posts: 46 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
It can last longer. My mother had it for a year or two, as did my sister. Unfortunately, that also menas that, should I ever give birth, I'm likely to go through the same thing.

Have other women in your family experienced post-partum depression? If so, try to find out how bad and for how long. The better you understand it now, the more prepared you'll be to deal with it later. And include your fiance in all of this so he also knows what's going on or could be going on. Also, discuss it with your doctor if need be.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends, some women feel it really badly, for a long time, but that isn't the usual case.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel this is very important. Studies have shown that taking in a decent amount of omega 3 fatty acids can prevent postpartum depression. Ideally, women should be getting plenty of this throughout pregnancy, since not only does the mother need it, but it is essential to the baby and the baby will "rob" the mother of her supply if it is not sufficient.

Here are some links:

http://depression.about.com/cs/babyblue/a/fishpostpartum.htm

http://www.mcmanweb.com/article-15.htm

http://www.thirdage.com/news/articles/ALT02/05/04/22/ALT02050422-01.html

http://www.babycentre.co.uk/expert/541094.html

http://my.webmd.com/content/Article/90/100860.htm

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly, thanks! I didn't know that. If this is something I'm ever faced with, it's nice to know about preventative medicine. Yes, that information IS important and can be potentially life or sanity saving. [Kiss]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, memory_guilded, you around?

I saw this thread turn up on a search, and realized I hadn't seen you in a while. I searched your username, and saw you hadn't posted since mid-June.

Are you okay? Is the baby? Is your fiance (husband now?)

Have you decided on a name yet? Is he still Michael Ender? [Wink]

Just wanted to make sure you're doing all right. Is there anything I can do for you? [Kiss]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Ginseng and Black Cohosh, and even St. John's Wort

Interestingly these herbs and large doses of vitamin C are also supposed to cause risks of a miscarriage very early on in pregnancy or slightly lessen the chances of pregnancy occuring.

[ August 13, 2005, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: sarahdipity ]

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
They are also used(black cohosh, anyway) to bring on labor.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Some advice for post partum do some exercise. That has helped some of my friends. Hope you are doing well and everything is going good.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen her post on her LJ regularly. She's healthy and doing ok. I'll let her know that you asked. [Smile]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I looked for her blog but the link didn't work for me. [Dont Know] Thanks for the info. [Smile]
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.