FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » lowering the drinking age for soldiers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: lowering the drinking age for soldiers
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
Lowering the drinking age for soldiers

Thoughts?

Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
If you are old enough to kill, die, and vote for your country, you are old enough to have a beer or ten. Especially if you are being payed for the first two.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanfear
Member # 7776

- posted      Profile for Lanfear   Email Lanfear         Edit/Delete Post 
I understand the whole " they can kill die , so they should be able to vote"

But after they win the bill for soldiers to drink at 19, everyone will want to drink at 19

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
And I think it would lead to far healthier attitudes about alcohol in the US, and in particular cause a drastic decline in alcohol related deaths and injuries at college.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Overseas they already can. Legally. If there was a state that allowed it here in the USA at that age, then it would be legal at any post/base in that state.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
They shouldn't lower the drinking age for soldiers specifically unless every job in which there's a risk of death also entitles its holders to drink. If they feel the need to permit soldiers to drink -- on the grounds that someone old enough to die for his country is old enough to go on a bender -- then they should just lower the drinking age for everyone.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I'd rather raise the soldiering age.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
That works, too. Maybe we could require all soldiers to have first served a term in the House of Representatives. [Wink]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puppy
Member # 6721

- posted      Profile for Puppy   Email Puppy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I think it would lead to far healthier attitudes about alcohol in the US, and in particular cause a drastic decline in alcohol related deaths and injuries at college.
And replace them with the same deaths and injuries in high school? [Smile]
Posts: 1539 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Nope. There's good evidence from other countries that this doesn't happen -- the conditions are changed such that the behaviors are changed.

Plus, its not like kids in high school aren't drinking today, and lowering the age limit at which it would become legal would be unlikely to significantly increase consumption.

Plus, changing the focus on underage drinkers from prosecution to treatment and providing opportunities for anonymous treatment (both short term medical treatment and long term treatment for alcohol problems) would save many lives; it did at the school I attended for two years (Washington University in Saint Louis) compared to many "dry campuses" I'm familiar with, per capita, and I believe there've been a few studies that show colleges which focus on education and treatment of alcohol issues with a generally permissive attitude (under controlled circumstances) have fewer alcohol related problems, particularly deaths.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am split.

I believe giving heavilly armed people what they want to make them happy is a good thing.

I don't believe getting heavilly armed people drunk is a good thing.

Do I really want the driver of that M1 Tank to be getting a DWI? No. Do I want to be the one to tell him to put down the beer? No.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm. Interesting topic. Which begs the question: is it about teaching respect and moderation, or is it about protecting the health and development of youth?

NPR had this segment on Morning Edition this a.m.

quote:
Drinking and smoking may pose more unique hazards for teenagers than the usual health and addiction risks. Throughout adolescence, the brain undergoes major remodeling, and new evidence suggests that alcohol and cigarettes may have an especially damaging effect on those developing brains.

linky
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

We don't need a Draft--We just offer legal beer to 18 year olds, and we'll rip up those recruiting goals.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

18 is well past adolescence (in that sense).

Also, I'd be interested in the doses involved, as there are plenty of countries where people drink wine or beer in moderation regularly with meals starting in their early teens -- countries which, coincidentally, have far fewer problems with alcohol-related deaths.

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Bob on this one. Oh, am I ever.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mishagam
Member # 8151

- posted      Profile for mishagam   Email mishagam         Edit/Delete Post 
Solgiers are already privileged in alcohol consumption because they can buy alcohol at bases at sundy unlike anybody else in most states.
Posts: 4 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stacey
Member # 3661

- posted      Profile for stacey           Edit/Delete Post 
In NZ a few years ago, they lowered the drinking age from 20 to 18. Now they want to put it back to 20.... because of lots of drunken Uni kids like me!
Posts: 315 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
socal_chic
Member # 7803

- posted      Profile for socal_chic   Email socal_chic         Edit/Delete Post 
It would be a bad idea to lower the drinking age for one sector of society IMHO. I'm still not sure I understand why being old enough to die for your country entitles you to be old enough to drink. There doesn't seem to be a correlation to me. There are many many more ways to have fun and 'forget your problems' than drinking...with less negative side effects I might add.
Posts: 137 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not so much being old enough to drink as it is being old enough to be treated like an adult. Not that being able to drink should be a symbol of adulthood, but as it stands I think most would agree that it is. You can vote, you can drink, you can drive a car, you can get married, and you can be drafted. Welcome to adulthood!
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
You can't rent a car though. I am over 21, but under 25. Since I've never had a drink of any alcoholic beverage, I am far more concerned about my inability to rent a car when I fly to another city.

Does the fact that I can die for my country entitle me to a rental car? I think not. The logic doesn't add up.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
*shrug* Renting a car isn't perceived as being one of the perks of being an adult. Don't look at me, I didn't start this society.
Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

The car rental thing is, I think, a requirement mainly of the car rental places, not anything legal.
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Listen to the recording via the linky, fugu - that should give you a better idea of dosage and age range.

The age of car rental is somehow tied into insurance company premiums, as I recall.

*Digs for ancient memory*

Anyway, they oughtta do away the drinking age altogether. And raise the legal age of driving to 30. Cut it off at 60. And improve public transportation.

And, and, and . . .

*Wonders if she could sleep yet*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
There are some car companies that will rent to anyone 21+. National is one of them. I went on a job interview last year, and was denied a rental car where I had one reserved (and after explicitly calling ahead and asking about any age restrictions and being told there were none). National was the next company over, and they rented one to me, no problem.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Anyway, they oughtta do away the drinking age altogether. And raise the legal age of driving to 30."

Bet I can guess which side of 30 you're on. [Smile]

Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I know the reason rental agencies won't give you a car if you are under 25. My point was that the age you are allowed to do one thing does not, and should not, neccessarily correspond with the age you are allowed to do something else.

If you are allowed to drive at 16, should you be allowed to gamble at 16? If you are allowed to have consensual sex at 17(or whatever it is in your respective state) should you be allowed to buy cigarrettes at 17?

Do we need one age where everything suddenly becomes legal? At age 18, are you suddenly able to handle all the freedoms you were too immature for a week or two weeks earlier?

Obviously not. The age of maturity comes at a different time for everyone. For some people, driving a car is probably not a good idea until they are 21, while others can handle a permit at 15 with no problems. Some people could drink responsibly at 16 years old, while others wont reach that depth of maturity until their late twenties.

The law has to find a medium, an average. I think that as far as drinking goes, 21 is probably a pretty good average. I'm 21, and most of my friends are somewhere between 19 and 23. Many of those under 21 are not ready for responsible drinking, while most of those over 21 already drink responsibly.

On a sidenote, I think they should raise the driving age to 18. However, if you had told me that when I was 16, I would have been quite angry.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
I just think it is insulting to have the voting age and drinking age different. Soldiers aside, it seems that if you are considered old enough to vote, you are old enough to make decisions about alcohol consumption.

So, as Bob said about the age of the military, I say about voting. Either raise the age of voting to twenty-one, or lower the drinking age to eighteen.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This makes the effective age limit for renting a car 18, since you need to be 18 to get a drivers license here.
I had a license in NY at 17. Most of my friends had theres at 16. Perhaps you are mistaken? (or else they have changed the law in the last 2-3 years)
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Maybe it is not the age of a driver's license, but the use of the credit card?
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
We don't need a Draft--We just offer legal beer to 18 year olds, and we'll rip up those recruiting goals.

Just what I was thinking. You would suddenly see a sharp increase in interest in the military for people between 18 and 21.

As to voting age corresponding with age or whatever, I think you should have to take some sort of a test before you vote for the first time, showing that you are somewhat informed on the issues and that you aren't just picking the candidates that make a pretty pattern on the voting machine. Nothing difficult, just answer a couple of questions on who the candidates are or something (as in, Who are two candidates currently running for the position of __________ ?) I'm fully informed on most of the issues, and really want my voice to be heard, but I'm not legal to vote for a couple of years. On the other hand, there are people who vote for candidates whom they've never heard of and have no idea about their positions on anything.
[/rant]

Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Since I've never had a drink of any alcoholic beverage, I am far more concerned about my inability to rent a car when I fly to another city.
The fedeal government has contracts with most rental car companies specifying price. When I travelled on government orders, they had to rent to me even though I was only 21.

Which was fun, because the guy at the rental counter didn't know about the rule and was refusing to rent to me. My travel coordinator quoted the regulation that would have made him ineligible for any more government car rentals had he refused to honor the contract.

Dagonee

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
This gives "draft beer" a whole new meaning. :)
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
I find the idea that people would join the army simply because they could drink their kind off depressing. I don't drink, I have had a drink or two before, but I have never understood the obsession with drinking. I'm not judging I seriously don't understand it. Why is drinking such a must?
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for lowering the drinking age to 18 for soldiers. I have no problems giving that "special right" to someone risking his life for mine.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, U-Haul will rent to you if you're over the age of 18. Yay for progress.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find the idea that people would join the army simply because they could drink their kind off depressing.
I find it scary. The people that would make a career choice because they can booze it up three years earlier are not the people that I feel comfortable hiring for national defence.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Midnight Blue-- Testing for voting is dangerous. They did that at one time. Mainly because African Americans in the south had no education. As a result they got cut out of the voting all together.

If you discriminate against anyone, especially those who are most desparate, you risk disenfranchising those who may need it the most.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Orange7penguin, you just made me laugh, in a purely out of context sort of way.

In this thread, you wrote:

" I have never understood the obsession with drinking"

In the caffeine thread, you wrote:

"I have been a heavy drinker since 17."

Sorry, but it was cracking me up and I had to point it out.

The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Hey, U-Haul will rent to you if you're over the age of 18. Yay for progress.

On a related, frightening note, There's a Liquor store around here that has U-Haul rentals. My hubby and I joke that you get a free bottle of JD with every truck.
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

And Arizona, with one of the strictest DUI laws in the country(or one of the first to have strict laws) still has drive through liquor stores.
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

I once passed a liquor store out in the backwoods of Missouri with this sign:

"Bait, Beer, Guns & Cappuccino"

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, Dan, maybe they got the cappuccino machine from Freecycle.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they are lowering it just because, from what my friends tell me who are in the army, most of them are functioning alchoholics anyway and as soon as you join you have access to alchohol. Don't want any under 21 soldiers getting busted.
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, then it makes all kinds of sense to lower the legal drinking age.

Wait. No it doesn't.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

quote:
When I went to get my license renewed, they told me I had to be 18, because you can't drive in NYC without all sorts of restrictions if you are under 18
Well that explains the difference, sort of. I lived in upstate NY.

quote:
The rental car issue varies by state. In New York, rental car companies are not allowed to refuse rental based on age, as long as you have a valid drivers license. This makes the effective age limit for renting a car 18, since you need to be 18 to get a drivers license here.
But this makes it sound like its a state law you are talking that you can't get a license until you are 18.

There is still a problem here though. If I am not mistaken, you are saying that having to rent with people with a license is a state law, correct?

Then since I had a license at 17, wouldn't they have had to rent to me too (if I had the class)? (

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Dropping the drinking age to eighteen was already tried in many states in response to the VietNam draft. And a lot of folk died.
Which is why the age limit was bumped back up to twenty-one.

Soldiers under 21 used to be able to drink on base until relatively recently (?GulfWar?).
Eventually, the military brass decided that was a bad idea.

[ June 01, 2005, 02:44 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

As for this idea, I think its nonsense. The law is just as hypocritical to any profession as it is to soldiers. Unless "putting your life on the line" earns you special legal pivileges. In that case, firemen, police officers, fishermen (far higher casulty rates then modern soldiers), viral researchers, construction workers, factory workers, lifeguards, yada yada yada... Where do we draw the line?

Its not like the legal drinking age means anything to anyone who wants to drink anyway. I did most of my heavy drinking between age 15 and 18. By the time I turned 21 (in my senior year in college), I was pretty much done with anything but occasional social drinking.

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Midnight Blue-- Testing for voting is dangerous. They did that at one time. Mainly because African Americans in the south had no education. As a result they got cut out of the voting all together.

If you discriminate against anyone, especially those who are most desparate, you risk disenfranchising those who may need it the most.

I don't mean that it should be difficult, and it shouldn't be something that would need to be taken every year. Just something to prove that you know a little bit about what you're voting for. (ie, what are three offices that are up for election this year) If they don't pass, they could take a one hour class or something. I don't know. I have no problem with people who have different political beliefs voting, but it annoys me when people who don't care enough to know which choices they're making vote. I know that it's the right of every American citizen to cast their vote, but I wish there was a way to make sure that people were informed of the issues and informed about the candidates. So many people just don't take the time. [Frown]
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh... I don't know I am opposed to lowering the drinking age for one segment of society. But whether that would mean lowering the drinking age for everyone, or raising recruitment age....I'm a pacifist, so I lean toward raising recruitment age. But I don't have an issue with lowering the drinking age either.
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
The bill seems rather superfluous to me. Legal or not, the soldiers under 21 drink. If you get promoted, you go out for drinks with your friends. If someone is transfered, you say farewell together at the local bar. It is and has long been a fact of military life. It isn't really condoned or encouraged, but it at least seems to fall under the general "dont' ask, don't tell" policy.

I suppose I don't understand why making it legal or not is an issue when they know it happens and will continue to happen either way??

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.