next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *ow*

Author Topic: *ow*
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I broke my big toe last night.

[Frown]

Now it's all swollen and painful and ouchy. Plus, it's really hard to walk.

I also have a fantastic bruise on my back - from the same incident.

Just thought I'd share my hurts.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
(((imogen)))
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
ow
that just makes my toe hurt.
Poor you.. [Frown]

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Owie! I feel for you, I really do.

Except I've never broken a big toe. I've only ever broken little toes. You know, the one on the outside.

I broke the right little two three times (first time, a single break, second time, three fractures and one dislocation, and the third time, three dislocations and too many fractures to count - it was shattered.)

And I broke the little one on the left twice (first time, three fractures, second time, five or six fractures and two dislocations.)

Both little toes are no longer little. Every time they break, the repair job results in them getting bigger and bigger. And the more dislocations and fractures, the longer they take to heal. Ugh!

So*, like I said, I feel for you. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister once broke her big toe when she kicked me.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Ick quid!

Mine isn't that bad - it's still in place, no dislocations or anything.

Just a nice clean break and a heap of swelling and funny colours.

My back has now gone greeny-purple. The excitement never stops.

Hobbes - me too. [Smile] Except I was (unintentionally) kicking the couch, not you.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
oohhh - ice and ibuprofen and TLC. Take it easy and feel better soon.
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tater
Member # 7035

- posted      Profile for Tater           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My sister once broke her big toe when she kicked me.
Good heavens!
That must have been quite a kick. [Angst]

Posts: 925 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

Shan, the frozen peas are coming out hourly.
[Smile]

Nurofen. Mmm, nurofen. *hobbles off to get some*

Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
It's when you break'em that you remember you have'em, huh? [Wall Bash] ouch...
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh... I broke my toe last summer. SUCKED.
It's still a little sore to this day.
*hugs*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry, Imogen, that must hurt...
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeeek! Ouch! Look at the bright side, though: it could be worse (quid...)
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

quid, if you don't mind me asking, what the heck are you doing with your feet that you fracture your toes like that?! o_O
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Both little toes are no longer little. Every time they break, the repair job results in them getting bigger and bigger. And the more dislocations and fractures, the longer they take to heal. Ugh!

I bet you leave an interesting footprint.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have shoes to wear over there, quid? That might help. [Wink] Seriously, I hope you're getting enough calcium. 1000mg minimum a day remember, then 1200-1500mg after menopause.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
One time, long ago, I was in a fight with a friend of mine (verbal) when he slammed the door in front of me, right as I was going to pass through -- my foot taking the lead. My big toe went through the space under the door -- but the big toeNAIL did not! Ripped the toenail right off.

That is pain like I have never known before or since -- I would take the birth of all three of my children all over again, at the same time, over the pain of that toe on that night.

okay - so this isn't a broken toe story - but since we were sharing............

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

Farmgirl, it hurt just reading that! [Angst]
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Farmgirl, did your scream of pain end the fight in your favor? Ow.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

*ouch*

My toe is cringing in sympathy. Luckily the nail took no beating at all - the impact was on the side and bottom, so that's where all the swelling is.

I'm wincing just thinking of your toenail, Farmgirl.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Farmgirl, did your scream of pain end the fight in your favor?
Yes, I think it did. He felt bad.

And, I believe, we were fighting over... a toothbrush! *sigh*

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
I've broken the big toe on my right foot once. It also cracked it open a bit, and it got all nasty and pussy. It ended up getting infected [Angst] .

Not fun.

Not fun at all.

Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O

YEOWCH! (that was to everyone's stories, not any one)

Feel better, im!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Having a broken toe doesn't sound like any fun. [Frown] I hope your toe heals quickly. Though I've never broken any of my toes, I did drop a rolling pin on one of them Monday, so now it's bruised and painful. [Frown] Since we're sharing owies, I must complain about my stupid elbow and its stupid tendonitis and my stupid doctor's office that can't see me for 2 weeks to give me a cortisone injection. [Frown]

[ June 01, 2005, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: ludosti ]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Eeeeek! *hugs imogen* Get better superfast, ok??

Many good thoughts coming your way! *shudder*

*hugs again*

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Not fun, not fun it all... [Group Hug]
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh you guys, I'm going to be cringing all day thinking of toes and toenails. I have a phobia of hurting my toes which is why I think I'm such a baby when I stub a toe or drop something on one. I can't imagine ripping a toenail off, or breaking, or shattering, or fracturing....*shudders*

Was it Jay that had the thread titled "I busted my toe like a grape" earlier this year? Just the imagery in that thread title made me gag for days. I still can't think of it without tensing up. Ow!!!

(((all those with injured feet and tendonitis)))

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivetta
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for Olivetta   Email Olivetta         Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch. I hope you feel better soon. [Frown]
Posts: 1664 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Owww...broken toes hurt.

(((shudder)) Farmgirl, I find the idea of a ripped off nail so painful!

Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UofUlawguy
Member # 5492

- posted      Profile for UofUlawguy   Email UofUlawguy         Edit/Delete Post 
Did I ever tell you the story of having my toe operated on in a small-town Honduran hospital? No?

I'll spare you the details.

Posts: 1652 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
(((imogen)))

I feel like there should be a story behind these injuries... Broken toes AND brused backs don't just happen randomly.

or at least, I sure hope not!

get well soon!

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie
Member # 4043

- posted      Profile for Pixie   Email Pixie         Edit/Delete Post 
Doors are dangerous Farmgirl!

My little brother was chasing me a few years back and slammed the door when I ran out of the house. All of me got through except my righthand ring-finger. Remarkably, it didn't hurt at all until my mom pulled the door open. The doctors said I was lucky the tip was still attached. What was unlucky was that they didn't give me enough morphine so I felt the first stitch and passed out. I was silent up until then, and I don't even remember screaming at that point, but apparently my family heard me in the waiting room [Big Grin] . Needless to say, I felt rather vindicated after reading an article a few years later that said that certain redheads need more pain medication and anesthesia than the rest of the population -stupid nurses: I had told them I could feel the gauze they were cleaning it with! [No No] Anyways...

I hope you feel better soon imogen [Smile] .

Posts: 1548 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
imogen... the salvation of all broken toes -- a pair of birkenstocks. The molded sole helps greatly.

How do I know this, you may ask? Because I have a lot of experience in these things. (I am a mondo clutz.) I have broken my little toe once and sprained it twice, due to doors no less. I have also folded my right foot like a taco. That particular injury didn't hurt at first. It was only after a well-intentioned soul placed a cube ice pack on my foot that it began to hurt like a... well... you know. Up until that injury, I had no idea sprains came in degrees. Mine was a second degree sprain.

And last summer, I broke the metacarpal bone in my left hand; the one leading to my ring finger. I snapped it clean sideways. My pinky finger went sideways too, but there was enough give that it was just sprained. At first, I didn't think it was broken cause I could move it. It was extremely tender, however, so I splinted it. That turned out to be a smart thing because when I took off the splint that night the hand was bruising badly on both sides of the finger. That's how I knew something was definitely wrong, and I needed to go to the doctor for some x-rays, which revealed the break. (The splint kept the doctor from having to reset the bone, btw.) That was a fun summer.

Hope your toe heals quickly and thuroughly. You get that husband of yours to wait on you hand and foot.

{{{{{imogen}}}}

Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

quote:
I feel like there should be a story behind these injuries... Broken toes AND brused backs don't just happen randomly
No, but winter socks, slippery polished floor boards, sharp corners of coffee tables and couch legs (*hevay* couch legs) do.

[Smile] [Frown]

I sent my Mum a photo of my bruise. It's really quite spectacular now - about 12cm high and 8cm wide, all purple and pink and white (ick).

She said she'd look for some socks with non-slip soles on the bottom, like little kids wear.

[Blushing]

imogen
Member # 5485

And *ouch* you guys! (The stories)

Thanks for the good wishes. [Smile]

Husband has been interstate - grumble - but he's back in about an hour so I will expect lots and lots of sympathy. And cups of tea.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
ooh, that sounds like a nice one!

I had a great bruse, probably close to that big, on the inside of my thigh from falling off the wire the wrong way. I kinda wish I'd taken a picture of it now... just to see if it was really as bad as I remember it being.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
((imogen))

I totally understand!

I broke my big toe when I was 10, I was playing ballerina. I actually liked it because I got to go to school with a slipper on that foot and I didn't have to go to P.E. <that was a big bonus!
I also got to lounge around with my feet up and toe in a heating pad.

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Theca - I haven't broken any in a long time. Must be at least six or seven years, thank heavens! It also wasn't a calcium problem, as far as I know. I was sleep deprived during all those years when I broke my toes. Combine that with loose ligaments (pretty much everything dislocates very easily), and toss in a good helping of dissociative disorder (meaning a lack of body awareness), and it's no surprise it happened so often.

Calcium. Thanks for the reminder. [Big Grin]

You know, it's funny. I've never broken any big bones -only little ones. I've also broken one of my littlest fingers and cracked a bone chip from around my eye. That's it. *knocks on Fahim's head in lieu of wood* [Smile]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.