FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Our long national nightmare is almost over - "Crossfire" expires on June 3!

Author Topic: Our long national nightmare is almost over - "Crossfire" expires on June 3!
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't find an announcement on this on CNN anywhere, but several news columnists have announced that - five months after its cancellation announcement - "Crossfire" will air for the last time on June 3.

[Party]

::Compiles list of shows on Fox and MSNBC that Jon Stewart should appear on::

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged
Member # 7476

- posted      Profile for Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged   Email Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe a fake news host managed to do in one trip to the show (well with alot of help from internet legions) what many of us had always hoped for....
Posts: 796 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that on the same time as Hannity and Colmes?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I can actually confirm it for you -- Crossfire airs from the Jack Morton auditorium here at GWU, and June 3 will be the last day it airs. Let me tell you how our school administrators are *not* happy they're losing such a nifty marketing tool....I'm not shedding any tears.

I am, however, bummed that they're losing IP. That was one of the few straight, no-nonsese news shows still on TV. Where you could be sure to avoid all mention of the MJ trial.

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I am, however, bummed that they're losing IP. That was one of the few straight, no-nonsese news shows still on TV. Where you could be sure to avoid all mention of the MJ trial.
Kasie,

thanks for the confirmation. Sad about "Inside Politics," but at least we lost it because Woodruff wanted out.

With "Crossfire" it was more like collective villagers burning down Dracula's castle.

::Fervently hopes that "Crossfire" does a better job of staying dead - really, truly, unrecoverable ashes type dead - than Dracula::

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
I love Jon Stewart.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

What is replacing them in their slots?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Actual news or debate, hopefully.
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
You are, Jay. You'd better brush up on your phonetics and buy a suit.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
You are, Jay. You'd better brush up on your phonetics and buy a suit.

Just get the coat, though. We all know those guys don't wear pants [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Cool. About time they got a conservative on CNN!
This should be a big pay raise. Wonder if I get a company car.
Hope it’s a convertible!
Can I share an office with Robin Meade?

Darth Ender
Member # 7694

- posted      Profile for Darth Ender           Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw this:
quote:
VIEWERSHIP YAWN FOR CNN 25TH ANNI

CNN's big 25th Anniversary week started with bad news: May numbers released yesterday showed CNN down 17% in total day and 16% in primetime vs. May 2004 . . .

6-1-05 8PM RATINGS

FOXNEWS O'Reilly Factor - 2,268,000 viewers

CNN 25th anniversary special -- 345,000

MSNBC/Countdown with Keith Olbermann - 213,000

Ouch.... I bet there could be a few more on the cutting block.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone tell me what exactly Jon Stewart did?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anastasia
Member # 8159

- posted      Profile for Anastasia   Email Anastasia         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831?htv=12
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exploding Monkey
Member # 7612

- posted      Profile for Exploding Monkey   Email Exploding Monkey         Edit/Delete Post 
That was great. Bravo JS!
Posts: 339 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Jon Stewart is my hero. [Smile]
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Even though he calls himself a fake news host, he really isn't. He presents real news (sometimes with some fake stuff thrown in) and then adds his opinion to it. But it's by no means fake or unreal.

I'm a little surprised he got the show cancelled in one fell swoop, but oh well, I'm glad he got it done. I'm also glad that Stephen Colbert got his own show on Comedy Central.

I'd hope to replace Crossfire they could put like Anderson Cooper, Woodruff or Wolf Blitzer in some sort of debate setting where they act as the moderator to guest debators. Pick a subject before hand and have the participants prepare or whatever, and then rely on the moderator to keep the debate focused. I think we learned from Crossfire that the debators are incapable of policing themselves. And I'd trust any of those three to get it done.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katarain
Member # 6659

- posted      Profile for Katarain   Email Katarain         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have a link to an article about how Jon Stewart's appearing on their show led to the cancellation? I saw the video of that show, but I had no idea it had such a literal impact.

-Katarain

Posts: 2880 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

Long Live Hannity and Colmes!
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
What do Hannity and Colmes have to do with Crossfire, aside from being in the same vein of partisan idiots shouting at each other?
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
FOXNEWS O'Reilly Factor - 2,268,000 viewers
Man, I was really hoping that falafel thing would bring him down.
Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I was hoping common sense would bring him down.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where you could be sure to avoid all mention of the MJ trial.
I read this sentence as "Where you could be sure to avoid al mention of the OJ trial" and I thought to myself 'well, we really don't hear too much about that anymore.' Man, I feel 18 years old.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alluvion
Member # 7462

- posted      Profile for alluvion   Email alluvion         Edit/Delete Post 
eek!

To me, "crossfire" still means Buchanan and Kinsley. (both still going strong, I'm happy to read)

Posts: 551 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.