FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ireland!

Author Topic: Ireland!
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
::waves::

I'm back from Ireland now, still running five hours ahead of everyone here, though. I can't even decribe how awesome a time I had.

So here are LOTS of pictures: http://www.madowl.com/gallery/album13

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
kwsni!

Okay - i made it through all 431 photos!

Now I feel like I have been on a personal tour of Ireland!

I loved several of them -- like the first one (white horse) and several you took in the cemetary (although for the life of me, I have no idea why a group would tour cemeteries...)

Question: What exactly are these?
Linky Some kind of cut and placed rocks from centuries past?

and THIS ONE with the tongue definately needs to have a caption contest!

Thanks for sharing!

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
the first link you posted farmgirl is a natrual formation. its called the devils stepping stones?

the one that needs a caption.
"That Grass was mine give it back."

Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
So how long were you gone? How did you organize your trip? (travel agent, tour group, all by yourself?) What would you do differently if you had to do it over again?

See, I'm gearing up for my month (at least) in Ireland that I think is going to be next summer and I need good advice. [Smile]

Welcome home!

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
How come SHE gets to go to Ireland, when I look Irish, know several Irish folks who'd be willin' to house me...... and I'm painfully jealous.

Glad she's home again though [Big Grin] [Wink]

She's in the other room typing an elaborate resonse to the other posts, just thought I'd sneak SOMETHING in.

Crazy as always,
Ken

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

Haven't captioned them yet, am still working on adjusting to Michigan time, much less getting pictures captioned. I'm pretty lucky I got them up online at all.

I went on a study abroad trip to study the horse industry in Ireland, so that's why I have so many pictures of horses. We didn't exactly tour cemtaries in Ireland, but they're so prevelant and I think they're so beautiful, that i took pictures in them every chance I got.

The hexagonal rocks are at the Giant's Causeway, they're basalt columns formed by lava cooling in a certain way. The legend is that there was a giant in Ireland and a giant in Scotland(where there are more rock formations like this) and the giant in Scotland built a bridge over to Ireland so he could kill the other giant. The giant in Ireland saw how huge the giant from Scotland was, and he built a huge cradle and then hid in it. The Giant from Scotland saw the cradle, and thought that if the children of this giant were that big, he didn't want to meet the adult, so he crossed back over to Scotland, dismantleing the brige as he went.

I really enjoyed the trip, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parsimony
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for Parsimony           Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back ni! Glad you had a good time. Some friends of mine will be in Ireland next week. I am jealous of all of you.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 367 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The horses are gorgegous, what breeds were most of them, some look like throughbreds, but others are too stocky, and few of them really looked like Connemara's to me. I know a lady (from a horse message board) that went to Ireland a few years ago, on a similar type trip, then when she got home, she bought an Irish Tinker. Oh wow she lives in MI too, but I can't think of her name other than Nirak (her sn).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh God please tell me what her name was, I'd probably remember her!
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I'm assuming you DIDN'T visit jebus while you were there, kwsni? [Wink]
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

No, you'll have to find some other way to find out what I look like.

That's right, I'm onto your game, you saucy lady.

Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
jebus, I'm doubting you remember every single (literally) woman who comes to your country and buys a horse, but if you do. I think her first name was that sn spelled backwards.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

Wel Ireland's not a very big place! Of course I remember Karin, lovely lady. We had Shepard's Pie one night.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

*ignores jebus*
jebus202
Member # 2524

::ignores breyerchic04::

Aw shucks, by me stating I'm ignoring you, I've responded to what you've said and shown it affected me. And that's not ignoring you at all! That's the very opposite!

breyerchic04
Member # 6423

*appolojizes to jebus* poof it's ok

I thought about kissing the booboo, but I won't do that one.

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
love this one

*snort*

this is pretty cool

nice

I'm so jealous.

you're my friend, but I hate you.

!

*sigh*

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

No, I didn't get to go see Jebus, though I wnated to. We had very little time in dublin, and i was so exhausted that i didn't really try.

THe horses are connemaras, Irish drafts, irish sprothorses, and thouroghbreds. I think there's one Selle Francais in there, too.

Jamie, I'm glad you like them.

I WILL get captions up this week, it's just taking me a while.

Ni!

Chris Kidd
Member # 2646

- posted      Profile for Chris Kidd   Email Chris Kidd         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you get a chance to explore any of the alleged fairie mounds.
Posts: 513 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

I didn't, and I'm not sure I would have. I tend to believe the ledgends of a place, even if the people that live there anymore don't. I did find a fairy house at one of the places we were staying at, but steered well clear so they didn't haunt me.

Also, I have captions up. they're just short explanations, but feel free to keep asking questions.

Ni!

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Some of my favorites were:

This one
and this one (actually, I can see that Jamie would probably like to shoot that particular scene several different ways if she were there)

and this one
and this one just because this is the way I picture Ireland -- and I'm a big sheep fan.

mack - I'm not surprised you liked that one of the hexagonal rocks -- you've already shown a real liking of patterns in your photography. You would have a blast with a camera there.

kwsni - so what's the story with the ring pictured? Did you buy it for yourself?

FG

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

oh.. that's interesting. When you choose "view slideshow", then viewing them that way doesn't marked them as viewed at all -- because several of them don't have the "viewed 1 time" or "viewed 2 times" caption, even though I saw them -- because I was looking in slideshow mode.

FG

jebus202
Member # 2524

It's a claddagh ring.

Don't ask me what it's supposed to represent/mean.

EDIT: Nevermind, here's an explanation http://www.claddagh.com/

Psycho Triad
Member # 3331

- posted      Profile for Psycho Triad   Email Psycho Triad         Edit/Delete Post 
The claddagh ring was the gift she brought back for me.

quote:
Worn on the right hand, with crown and heart facing out, the ring tells that the wearer's heart is yet to be won. While under love's spell it is worn with heart and crown facing inwards.
This post is also a sneaky way of bumping her thread, since she won't.

[Razz]

Posts: 271 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.