FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » FLOSS

Author Topic: FLOSS
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
I was listening to the radio and I wasn't able to hear the rest of this "Flossing can extend your life..stay tuned" or something like that.

Does anyone know what he's talking about? I changed the channel because I didn't want to listen to the commercials.

Man I'm on a Dental hygene role!

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, it's simple!

Flossing can save your life because

Wait a sec; I'll be right back....

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
Some studies are indicating a possible link between gum disease and heart disease and/or diabetic problems. That was probably what they were talking about.
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
Flossing can save your life because when you have 10 cavities between your teeth that could have been prevented by flossing more, it costs you about $2400 to fill them, and that money could have been used to buy something life saving. Like anti-zombie spray or something, I don't know.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orson Scott Card
Administrator
Member # 209

- posted      Profile for Orson Scott Card           Edit/Delete Post 
Everything can kill you, so the opposite of everything can save your life.
Posts: 2005 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swede
Member # 7560

- posted      Profile for Swede   Email Swede         Edit/Delete Post 
The opposite of everything... wouldn't that be nothing? Depressing.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just-a-min
Member # 7308

- posted      Profile for just-a-min   Email just-a-min         Edit/Delete Post 
I was actualy flossing my teeth when I noticed this post.
I love flossing.
I can stand the mess and tedium of brushing but flossing rules!
Well, back to my oral hygiene. [Big Grin]

Posts: 26 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by emerac6:
Flossing prevents the following:

Bacteria (S. mutans) gets between your teeth --> plaque --> cavities --> more cavities --> bacteria enter bloodstream --> adherence to heart valves --> vegetative growth on heart valves --> damage to heart valves --> abnormal cardiac function --> heart failure

[Eek!] I think I'll start flossing now!
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing to me how many more health problems are caused by microorganisms than we knew.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
The discovery that ulcers are caused by bacteria was life-changing for me - from life of constant, if relatively mild, pain and intermittent acute attacks of pretty severe pain to having to take a course of antibiotics every 5 years or so.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a recent flossing convert. I don't know if it was the superior hygenic lifestyle or the nine fillings that made me convert.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gryphonesse
Member # 6651

- posted      Profile for Gryphonesse   Email Gryphonesse         Edit/Delete Post 
a friend who is a dental hygenist said that brushing your teeth without flossing is like cleaning the floor by sweeping all the dirt into the corners. If you *really* want motivation to floss regularly, (and this is gross), sniff your floss next time after you've started. That will definitely get you on the track to better dental hygeine.
Posts: 262 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
"See that gal, you'd really like to kiss
I tell ya pal, her mouth's a petri dish
but you can't see, so suck her tiny maggots down your throat" -- Penn and Teller

Your mouth is really full of bacteria. It's a really filthy nasty place. Only your hands come close to being as nasty and only because they're easier to clean (and drier).

Flossing REALLY helps cut down on this. All that plaque that comes from between your teeth? Useda be your food? Well it's been lodged in a warm wet place all day. It's the bacteria's food now and they just had an asexual orgy reproducing in your mouth.

It's not just about cavities either. Ever get a mouth sore? Brush twice a day and Floss at least before bed and they'll go away (or at least be more rare unless you have something else wrong with you. If so, see a doctor.)

In any event... FLOSS!

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much for all the information! Even if it was more than I wanted to hear. [Monkeys]

Oooh! Floss can prevent mouth sores?!! I should tell that to my husband!

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
Flossing can save your life because when you have 10 cavities between your teeth that could have been prevented by flossing more, it costs you about $2400 to fill them, and that money could have been used to buy something life saving. Like anti-zombie spray or something, I don't know.

--Enigmatic

Do you know where they sell that anti-zombie spray? I'm running out.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.