FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cinderella Man

Author Topic: Cinderella Man
SC Carver
Member # 8173

- posted      Profile for SC Carver   Email SC Carver         Edit/Delete Post 
Has any one else seen this yet? I know it just came out.

I just saw it and thought it was great. Definitely one of the best movies I have seen in quite a while.

It was just very good in all aspects. Like "Rocky" with better directing, much better acting, characters you care about, some what believable boxing and it’s based on a true story.

I hate to even compare it to Rocky, but the story line is similar, and people forget the first Rocky was nominated for best picture in 1976. All the sequel's made it into a joke.

Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
You didn't like the Rocky sequels?

I LOVE Rocky IV.

Rocky V is what killed it. Rocky V was an abomination that should have never been made or even thought of and considered. But the first four were good.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

Some of the sequels weren't bad, but weren't anything on the level of being nominated for best picture. And yes IV is the best one. I don't think we could say III was all that good. It's hard to take Mr. T seriously
Posts: 555 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starlooker
Member # 7495

- posted      Profile for starlooker   Email starlooker         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it last night. I thought it was great. It was like a cross between Rocky and Seabiscuit with a dash of A Beautiful Mind thrown in.

Definitely worth watching.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SC Carver
Member # 8173

Apparently Crowe got arrested this morning.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20050606-1107-people-crowearrested.html

Oh well he still did a good job in the movie.

El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Russell Crowe is an ego-centric windbag who takes himself way too seriously. If I see another movie with him in it, it'll be on accident.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, except he is also an absolutely amazing actor. So annoying, all the talent in such a person.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it Friday (on a date no less, miracles do happen). I like it. Thought it was well done and gets you thinking about the history of the depression.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I dreamed the other night that Russell Crowe had a crush on me. I told him I wasn't his type. He pressed. I told him I was married. He left me alone.

Strange dream.

Katie, I'm with you 100%. He's one of my very favorite actors, even though he's not one of my very favorite people.

Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
Loved the movie. Will definitely see it again. Bravo for all the performances, and the directing, which exactly what I've come to expect from a Ron Howard film--storytelling at its best. Not much of a fan of Russell Crowe the person, but I convinced myself long ago that the only criteria worth judging an artist on is the quality of his or her work.

-

-

Unless said artist wants to run for President or marry my daughter. Then I care very much if he's a pompous ass.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.