FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Who are some of your favorite authors besides OSC? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Who are some of your favorite authors besides OSC?
Crotalus
Member # 7339

- posted      Profile for Crotalus   Email Crotalus         Edit/Delete Post 
Alluvion,

To answer your question: I think Stephen King needs the structure and limitations of a short story in order to know when and how to stop. With the exception of "Pet Sematary" I have been sorely disappointed with the ending of every stand alone novel of his that i've read (not counting co-authored stuff). I've also recently been outraged at his Dark Tower ending. He is a great writer, but too often it seems his books just fall apart at the end. "IT" was a truly scary book for the first 3/4ths, then it just got ridiculous.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 8107

- posted      Profile for Spaceman   Email Spaceman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by advice for robots:
Now somebody with a better attention span than mine is going to go through this thread and figure out which authors get mentioned most often.

On the contrary, I think we should all look at who is mentioned the LEAST. That opens up whole new worlds to explore. Go look for one of the authors you don't know at a used book store, maybe you'll discover a new favorite.
Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Destineer
Member # 821

- posted      Profile for Destineer           Edit/Delete Post 
Surprised no one has mentioned the great Gene Wolfe yet.

Another sci fi writer who I've long admired, though he only wrote two amazing books among a whole lot of crappy ones, is A. A. Attanasio.

Posts: 4600 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Douglas Adams
Lloyd Alexander (Who is a distant relative of mine, very distant.)
Isaac Asimov
Ray Bradbury
Orson Scott Card
Clive Cussler
Philip K. Dick
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
C.S. Lewis
George Orwell
James Patterson
Nick Sagan
J.R.R. Tolkien

That is it right now, and by the way mine are in alphabetical order.

Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
The authors who take up significant shelf space in my home (since this is probably the best gauge for me):
Stephen King
Jean Auel
Isaac Asimov
Clive Barker
Sara Douglass
Janet Evanovich
Monica Ferris
Neil Gaiman
Frank Herbert
Brian Herbert with Kevin J Anderson (Dune prequels)
Stephen Lawhead
Brian Lumley
Anne McCaffrey
Anne Rice

and since I did this from work, I'm sure I'm missing some...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
Edgar All Poe
Charles Dickens
Isaac Asimov
Robert Frost
Hans Christian Andersen
Lewis Carroll
James Fennimore Cooper
Mark Twain
CS Lewis
Sir Authur Conan Doyle
Jules Verne
Gerald Lund
and who could forget...
Dumas and Tennyson?

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
Isaac Asimov, RA Salvetore, Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, and a whole host of other Forgotten Realms and DragonLance authors. Though Clauswitz and Sun Tzu are also good.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sid Meier
Member # 6965

- posted      Profile for Sid Meier   Email Sid Meier         Edit/Delete Post 
There are probly others but don't come to mind atm.
Posts: 1567 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
Robin McKinley
Jane Yolen
Douglas Adams
Terry Prattchet
CS Lewis
JRR Tolkien
Ray Bradbury
Jane Austen
EM Forster
Oliver Sacks
JK Rowling
Jerry Spinelli
Louis Sachar
Lewis Carroll
John Updike
Elizabeth Peters
Barbara Micheals (who is also Elizabeth Peters)

Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cashew
Member # 6023

- posted      Profile for Cashew   Email Cashew         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read Maps in the Mirror twice, but don't remember a story called "Fart Farm". There's one called "Fat Farm", but thet doesn't sound as interesting...
Posts: 867 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On the contrary, I think we should all look at who is mentioned the LEAST. That opens up whole new worlds to explore. Go look for one of the authors you don't know at a used book store, maybe you'll discover a new favorite.
I agree entirely. For example, there's an author on my list that nobody else has mentioned, and I definitely think more people should read his work.

--Enigmatic
(whistles innocently)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite authors are, in alphabetical order:

Gary Blackwood
Orson Scott Card, of course
Robert Cormier
Chris Crutcher
Michael Crichton (surprised no one else mentioned him)
Will Hobbs
Gordon Korman
Gary Paulsen
Roland Smith
Jerry Spinelli
Paul Zindel

and there are more authors that I like, but aren't necessarily my favorite ones.

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AC
Member # 7909

- posted      Profile for AC           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't believe anyone has metioned William Gibson yet. His writing does have it's flaws (I could probably point out as many flaws as someone who hates everything hes has ever written), but for some reason it speaks to me in a way that no other writer has.

[ June 10, 2005, 02:54 AM: Message edited by: AC ]

Posts: 151 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 8107

- posted      Profile for Spaceman   Email Spaceman         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by genius00345:

Some people have a problem with an author always making the scientist into the bad guy.
Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Spaceman:
quote:
Originally posted by genius00345:

Some people have a problem with an author always making the scientist into the bad guy.
Yes and some of us just have problems with his writing in general.
Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread needs some more explanations and less boring lists with a lot of people I have no reason to look up.

I really hate Dave Eggers, mostly because I find myself writing like him and thinking I'm brilliant, when really I'm just a product of my cynical culture.

I really like Sherman Alexie, and that was even before I met him and he made me laugh so hard my head hurt for three days.

While there are many scifi books that I like, I rarely find authors within the genre who are as relevant as OSC. I get disappointed by the sheer escapism in a lot of it, but I was recently relieved to discover Gene Wolfe. His Books of the Long Sun were pretty good, but his There are Doors and Storeys from the Old Hotel were phenomenal.

I guess before I move past sci fi, I do owe a nod to Ray Bradbury, who proved that science fiction is not about the science or the future or the escapism at all. It's about people and grand ideas, and a couple of his stories like The Fire Balloons and The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit really touch me.

My favorite authors of all time, though - the ones who make me cry and shake with the power of sheer humanity - may well be the Latin magical realists. Something about Laura Esquivel, though she borders on the smutty romance genre, is so pertinent and palpable. It's probably just the food - I think food can always make a link. [Smile] And of course Gabriel Garcia Marquez, who is just flat out wisdom embodied, will always be memorable. He can condense the human spirit into a handful of nonsensical sentences. Julia Alvarez is wonderful too - I wonder why you have to be Latin to turn your reader's brain inside out with things like telling an entire story backwards, which she does in How the GarcĂ­a Girls Lost Their Accents.

But my favorite author of all might well be Jorge Luis Borges. Somehow, he combines everything I love - sci fi, philosophy, and that Latin brain-bending thing. The Garden of Forking Paths and The Library of Babel are two of my absolute favorite short stories of all time.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattB
Member # 1116

- posted      Profile for MattB   Email MattB         Edit/Delete Post 
Dennis Lehane, for perfect plotting and wonderful characters. What noir about would-weary detectives confronting evil should be. Sharp and funny, too.

Steinbeck, Flannery O'Connor, Peter Schaffer, and Levi Peterson for knowing the struggle of finding meaning in life. And for sometimes winning it.

Richard Adams, for producing a truly heroic epic about rabbits.

John Irving, who is entirely capable of grotesqueness to the point of self-parody (see The Third Hand), but who, particularly in his peak - Owen Meany, Garp, Hotel New Hampshire, Cider House Rules - knows that people are capable of goodness, sometimes despite themselves. And he can be funny.

Umberto Eco, if you have a lot of time and a good encyclopedia on your hands. He's not funny.

King, for being so bloody entertaining (and at times producing genius - IT is a masterpiece, dragging a little after the climax, but not enough to ruin it. See also the novellas Hearts in Atlantis and Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption. And parts of Wizard and Glass).

Borges, for inventing the term "meat-blanket."

Posts: 794 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen King and (don't hate me) Robert Jordan. though his books have been getting worse as they go along haven't they?
Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Eruve
Member # 6883

- posted      Profile for Lady Eruve   Email Lady Eruve         Edit/Delete Post 
My biggest favorites are:

Robin McKinley (I really really like her stuff)
OSC
Stephen Lawhead
Tolkein

Some other authors that I like are:
Jane Austen
CS Lewis
Madeline L'Engle
Marguerite Henry (in my adolescent, horse crazy phase)
Charlotte Bronte

Posts: 55 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snowman
Member # 10426

- posted      Profile for Snowman           Edit/Delete Post 
I love these threads. This is the newest one I could find.

Dean Koontz (my favorite)
OSC (2nd)
J.K. Rowling (3rd, fell in love with her early in my life)
Robert McCammon (4th)

Great authors: Michael Crichton, John D. MacDonald, Tad Williams, Charles Dickens, Tom Clancy, George R.R. Martin, Neal Stephenson.

Ok authors: Stephen King, James Patterson(not horrible, but barely ok), Ian Fleming, JRR Tolkein, Douglas Adams, Richard Laymon, Christopher Paolini.

I've read one book of the following, but these authors seem promising: Clive Barker, Ray Bradbury, Jonathan Kellerman, Bentley Litte, Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child, John Saul, Neil Gaiman, Thomas Harris, Dan Simmons(Hyperion is amazing).

Individual books I like: 1984 by George Orwell, Replay by Ken Grimwood, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.

Authors I don't like: Dan Brown, Chuck Palahniuk, Greg Bear(though I'll try him again), Laurell K. Hamilton, Patricia Cornwell.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uindy
Member # 9743

- posted      Profile for Uindy           Edit/Delete Post 
C.S. Lewis
J.K. Rowlling
Charlott Bronte
John Berendt
Robert K. Massie

These are only a few but there are so many others

Posts: 58 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krynn
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for krynn   Email krynn         Edit/Delete Post 
R. A. Salvatore
Michael Crichton
J. K. Rowling

Posts: 813 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happysmiley
Member # 9703

- posted      Profile for happysmiley           Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, Tolkien are my most favorites (not counting osc)
Posts: 48 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a few that come to mind:

Tom Robbins
Jack Kerouac
Allen Ginsberg
Chuck Palahniuk
Isaac Asimov
William S. Burroughs
Anonymous
Kilgore Trout
Neil Cassidy
Hunter S. Thompson
Douglas Adams

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.