FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'm crawling back to use you all. (Accio computer geeks!)

Author Topic: I'm crawling back to use you all. (Accio computer geeks!)
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sitting here at an aunt's computer trying to figure out what's wrong with it. A few major problems. Many programs do not seem to be working correctly. It takes forever for it to start up, and about 25 seconds just for the desktop icons to appear. The toolbar is gone, but it's set normally; it wasn't accidently turned off. Activeshield won't start and it keeps saying there may not be enough diskspace.

This computer is brand new and this woman hardly uses it; she never downloads anything at all. It's Windows XP and she's using a ton of protective software, most of it is McAfee. I found nothing in the registry editor and stinger and Spybot didn't find anything either. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks guys.

[ June 05, 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: PSI Teleport ]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI! Welcome back!

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

What's the hard drive usage? How much free space?

The toolbar is dropped to the bottom of the screen? Can you click and drag it up?

Has she always had these problems?

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Tons of free space.

No, I couldn't pull up the tool bar.

The problems started a couple of weeks ago, but she's only had this computer for a couple of months.

And thanks!

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

What does she use the computer for?

Web surfing?

Any unusual websites appearing? Toolbars?

-Trevor

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] PSI! *hug*

I have absolutely nothing helpful to add. But I'm glad to see you post again, even if you only love us *sniffle* for our geekitude. *weep*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yeah, surfing. There's nothing weird appearing.

Edit: Thanks, rivka. I'm suddenly wondering if this thread will contain my 5,000 landmark. Heh.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Can you load the task manager?

Can you see the processes and performance?

-Trevor

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yes and yes. There are like 35 processes! But they look normal.
TMedina
Member # 6649

The CPU usage on Performance - is it high or low? What percentage?

-Trevor

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

It's very low, like 3%, but when I clicked on this box it spiked to 20%.
TMedina
Member # 6649

That's about right.

Sorry PSI, I have no idea.

Accio A Better Geek Than Me.

-Trevor

rivka
Member # 4859

Than I.

Tsk!

[Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Don't get down on yourself. You're a plenty big enough geek. : )
NinjaBirdman
Member # 7114

- posted      Profile for NinjaBirdman   Email NinjaBirdman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, does she have anything really important on the computer that she can't get rid of? If something really screwy happens to my computer I usually just reformat.
Posts: 204 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Two more things that won't work. I can't turn off system restore, and it won't let me start "Firewall/ICS" and so forth.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yeah, we're considering reformatting. There's nothing on here that she cares about.

I'm going to take my children home to bed. I will check back in tomorrow.

Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm screaming Virus, personally. Stuff that freaky doesn't just happen. Personally, I'd try to figure it out, but since this is forum tech support and I'm lazy lately, I'd just say format and forget it [Smile]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peterh
Member # 5208

- posted      Profile for peterh   Email peterh         Edit/Delete Post 
[Cry] I've missed you
[Wave] Good to see you
[Kiss] Stick around for awhile

Posts: 995 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonder Dog
Member # 5691

- posted      Profile for Wonder Dog           Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, sounds like it could be a virus/worm. Have you tried something like TrendMicro's housecall?

Oh, and does she use an email client, or handle all of her mail via the web?

Good luck!

Posts: 353 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grisha
Member # 6871

- posted      Profile for Grisha   Email Grisha         Edit/Delete Post 
i have no idea how to help you, but it's great to see you around here again!
Posts: 376 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendybird
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Wendybird   Email Wendybird         Edit/Delete Post 
I just wanted to say hi!!
Posts: 1132 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Mimbo. Being used is what I do best.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you run those various diagnostics in safe mode?

Good to see you lady! [Smile]

Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

If you don't mind nuking and re-installing, that's the most thorough way to go.

Boris is probably right but every virus I've run across has some form of secondary indicator, usually highly visible and nasty ones like locking out access to the Task Manager and so forth.

Unless it's some seriously obnoxious spyware.

It may very well be some pre-installed software that is glitching and causing the delays - is she on dialup or high speed connections? Is McAfee trying to auto-update? That might account for the slow load time.

@Rivka - really? My high school English teacher will be crushed. Of course, he's also the one who had a coronary every time someone used "and," in a sentence. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

MidnightBlue
Member # 6146

- posted      Profile for MidnightBlue   Email MidnightBlue         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with "and"? ("and?")
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

He objected to placing a comma after the word and.

quote:

Jack ran up the hill and Jill fell down the hill.

-or-

Jack ran up the hill and, Jill fell down the hill.

-Trevor
rivka
Member # 4859

Well, he's right. That comma DOES NOT belong there. Even before the "and" it would be a comma splice, I think.

And yes, really. While it is becoming more acceptable to say, "than me" in that sort of sentence, it is not really correct.

You are really shortening the phrase, ". . . than I am."

Haloed Silhouette
Member # 8062

- posted      Profile for Haloed Silhouette   Email Haloed Silhouette         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone still on this thread?
Posts: 358 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

PSI hasn't posted the results, so I don't know.

@Rivka - I'll defer to your expert knowledge. I didn't meant to sound as flippant as I did.

-Trevor

rivka
Member # 4859

Flippant is fine. [Smile] I only snarl when people yank my grammar chain deliberately (you know who you are!)

But I will elaborate -- at length -- when given the smallest opening . . . [Wink]

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Bleh, sorry. It's really hard for me to get over here and I'm never over here long enough to run the full diagnotics. Reformatting is starting to sound like the best (read: easiest) option but I think my aunt is scared to do it. I wish I was a bit more savvy but I'm apparently the most savvy person SHE knows. [Smile] Thanks for all the replies and greetings. I tried everything I could think of and never found a virus. I mean, she never uses this computer for anything. She's barely on it at all. As for her email I'm pretty sure she uses MSN, who is her provider.
TMedina
Member # 6649

What kind of connection does she have?

Before you nuke the drive, check what programs are auto-updating.

1. What type of computer? Dell? It tries to download new updates.

2. Windows xp? Is it set for auto-updating?

3. Mcafee? Is the program trying to auto-update?

Otherwise, good luck - I hope everything works out for you.

-Trevor

PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

Yes, McAfee is trying to update. Is that related?

I don't actually know much about computer stuff (please conceal your gasps of shock.) I have to be walked through most stuff.

Bekenn
Member # 6602

- posted      Profile for Bekenn   Email Bekenn         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda wonder if all of this protection software (virus software and the like) is somehow conflicting; you might try disconnecting from the net (physically, by pulling the cable) and then turning off as much of that as possible and rebooting to see what happens.
Posts: 293 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I just say, it's so good to see you again! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

If Mcafee is trying to download a large update across a slow connection like dialup, that would seriously slow down the machine.

Bekenn's idea is a good one - try booting the machine without a net connection and then try booting it without a net connection and turning off the "auto update" feature on Mcafee.

-Trevor

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.