FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Fat Essay (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Fat Essay
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] *hugs mimsie*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
(((mimsies)))
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, dear. I am so sorry.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs mimisies too*
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
((()))
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, thanks ((((returns hugs)))). (I LOVE the screen name Mr Porteiro Head)
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
((mimsies)) it does sound like a sad situation. Have you two already tried counseling?

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anastasia
Member # 8159

- posted      Profile for Anastasia   Email Anastasia         Edit/Delete Post 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mimsies:
In fact I know he just gets hang ups about odd things.

We should be friends. [Smile] He has the same reason: He just can't help thinking whatever it is he is obsessing about.

He probably isn't staying with you only because he doesn't love you or doesn't want to be alone. I think it could be that he acts that way because he spends too much time thinking about you, and then those darned "thoughts" (OBSESSIONS) start kicking in. It is what I've just started thinking about my husband.

I get ovarian cysts every so often.

Stop doing that. !!

My doc showed my husband pics of mine before and after surgery while I was still out. I really wish she didn't do it, but she couldn't possibly have known that I would have thought it was such a bad idea. He seems to be doing well about seeing them, though.

I think what really makes me sad is that I REALLY love him.

I understand this one, too!

I hope that you have friends and family that can help you to remember that you are OK.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

We went to a really good counselor for awhile, but she was an intern, and when she graduated she wasn't allowed to practice anymore. He refuses to go back to another counselor. I wish he wouldn't refuse. I think we were really making headway with the help of our counselor.

Anastasia cool, allies in dealing with weird husbands!

Although, in a discussion when I brought up splitting up he said "No" but not because he loved me too much or anything like that, but because... He doesn't want to be alone, he doesn't have anyone else he is interested in, and he HATES the dating game. Nothing about love in his reasoning. nothing even about it's better for the child if we are together (which is how I feel).

Why I haven't left him yet, well, I really love him (although I don't usually know why), I could not afford to be a stay at home, home schooling mom if we weren't together, Sequoyah would suffer, Sequoyah would be sad, Sequoyah would have a hard time with it, It would be hard on Sequoyah.

Yes my family is awesome, and I have some friends that are pretty wonderful too. And according to Sequoyah, I am the best mommy in the world. He is such a blessing.

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anastasia
Member # 8159

quote:
Originally posted by mimsies:
Nothing about love in his reasoning. nothing even about it's better for the child if we are together (which is how I feel).

Some things may just be easier for him to say than anything about love.
Posts: 25 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

yeah, you are right :^)
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Permit me to point out that not many husbands bring up the dreaded "L" word - I will defer to any wives who wish to contradict me as I am not a husband.

I suspect the husbands discussed are subconsciously wrestling with issues and are fumbling through something he doesn't really consciously understand and doesn't know how to process the problem, never mind address it.

The whole "long hair" thing has got to be a smokescreen for something else because I have a difficult time believing that is enough to turn anyone off from sex, unless it was a serious issue and it would have appeared long before now.

Good luck.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Liz makes an excellent point about weighted exercise.

Start small - just enough to make sure you're engaging your muscles but not enough to break a serious sweat.

You'll be amazingly glad you did later.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Dreaded "L" word? Lovehandles?
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anastasia
Member # 8159

quote:
Originally posted by TMedina:

The whole "long hair" thing has got to be a smokescreen for something else because I have a difficult time believing that is enough to turn anyone off from sex, unless it was a serious issue and it would have appeared long before now.

I truly did mean that my husband fusses about the length of my hair. The point is that some people do find major faults with minor issues. Also, it is something we've "discussed" on and off for many years--not something new.

And, I promise that I really do love my husband, I have cut my hair before, and would do it again if I thought there was any chance that *this time* he would be happy with it.

I'm not comfortable discussing these details of my marriage--I only thought it might bring comfort to someone else to know that she wasn't alone.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Anastasia - I wouldn't dream of asking you to discuss the details of something so very private.

I just wanted to add my agreement to the general consensus that it's not really the hair.

-Trevor

Edit: For an embarassing misspelling.

Anastasia
Member # 8159

quote:
Originally posted by TMedina:
Anastasia - I wouldn't dream of asking you to discuss the details of something so very private.
-Trevor

Hah! I thought that perhaps you thought the words "long hair" had "never bathes" as a referent. [Smile]

Although this is rather off-topic, I had a calculator named Trevor once. Nice name. I thought about reusing it on my son, but my husband was quite adamant about not naming children after calculators.

TMedina
Member # 6649

Sorry for the confusion.

By serious issue, I meant something like a literal phobia of long hair or something equally clinical. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Edit: For clarity.

Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Well, but that theory falls down when you think of all the skinny(starving)people in the world with nothing to chase.
Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
You gain wieght when you ingest more calories than you use. You lose weight when you use more calories than you injest. There are many things that affect weight, but I think they affect how many calories you use and/or get rid of.

We eat more. We eat larger portions, and those portions are denser with calories.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

And we have jobs that require less strenuous physical activity.

-Trevor

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
And we have all kinds of indoor entertainment - kids don't go outside to play anymore they sit inside witht he tv or the xbox and don't run and get the exercise they should.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Just read the study they did with the Amish. Go on the Amish diet: meat, potatoes with gravy and buttered rolls, pie with cream for dessert.

How do they stay slim and healthy? They work and walk their behinds off.

http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm?article_id=7891&pg=1

Belle
Member # 2314

Yeah, I like to eat. I don't eat sweets every day or anything, but I want to be able to enjoy a piece of cake if it's someone's birthday and not feel "guilty" about what I'm eating.

So, I will exercise enough that I don't have to obsess over what I'm eating. I've stopped obsessing over food just like I've stoppd obsessing over the scales. The only numbers I do keep track of are miles, and that's because I am plotting my total miles walked on a map to see if I can walk across America. [Big Grin]

I do think that the quality of food you buy matters - in other words, I think that over-processed, chemical injected beef at the supermarket is not as good for you as free range beef is. We buy our beef directly from a local rancher, and when I have people over and they help me cook they are amazed at the lack of fat in the meat. We are out of our "good" beef and I had to buy ground chuck at the supermarket and I was amazed and appalled at the amount of fat I had to drain off the meat after I browned it. I'm not used to it, our beef is so lean.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a reel mower a few months ago. I did so for a variety of reasons, but one of them was the fact that I don't particularly enjoy fueling up gas powered mowers, but actively enjoy fueling up myself. I'd rather eat something tasty to supply the energy to turn the blades than feel scandalized at the price of gas a little more frequently than I already do.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a black and decker electric mower. I love mine.

I recently tried to start getting back in shape. I'm not overweight I don't think, I'm 5'7, 20, male, and 146lbs. But I feel like it's a lot more fat than muscle, and I haven't been on a date in a year, which I'm chalking up to a combination of low self esteem and being chubby.

Plus it's difficult when my four best friends are girls, and they never fail to point out the hot guys around, who look nothing like me. To a certain degree I want to be healthier and have more energy, but mostly I just want for once to be the guy in a bathing suit at the beach that a group of girls fawns over when they walk by.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Lyrhawn, you would be surprised at the number of women who find a one-pack belly attractive.

Belle, one of our supermarkets sells "Smart Chicken" now. We also have a Whole Foods near us, and I try to buy most of our meat there. I get chicken tenders and patties there because chicken in any form is a staple of my daughter's diet.

We also have a bison farm near us, but I have not dared to try it yet. it is supposed to be very good.

Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
bison is very good. Very lean, a little dry (depending on how it is processed) If you buy some, be careful to not overcook it or it will be so dry you can hardly eat it. Try it, you'll like it!

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

You're smart enough to realize this Lyr, but I'll point it out anyway - there is a difference between eye candy and date material.

-Trevor

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I realize the difference, because I've met a million hot girls who aren't worth a second of my time on a date.

Maybe I have to wait until I'm older and women are more interested in having a fun time than a hot guy.

Either that or I just suck at picking women to ask out on dates.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Well, if you're feeling brave, you could always ask a female friend to give you a critical assessment.

Make sure you put your ego in a comfortably padded box first.

It could be something relatively simple as - different haircut, new and vaguely fashionable clothes and so on.

Now, if the first thing she starts on is a ripped six pack, just smile, nod and move on. [Big Grin]

-Trevor

Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Farmgirl about the bison. Good and healthy, and dries out easily. I used to buy it at the local farmer's market, till I moved. [Frown]
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

I think any beef that is lean and doesn't have a lot of fat in it can be dry. Our steaks are excellent, but tend to be dry because there is very little marbling of fat in them. We have to marinate them for a long time and be careful not to overcook them.

Reminds me I need to call our rancher buddy and see when the next crop of calves will be ready. I'm out of ground beef and only have about two roasts and a few t-bones left.

Buying a whole cow directly from a rancher is also cheaper, in the long run. We pay by the pound, so our cost varies depending on the size of the cow, but we're paying the same price for ribeyes as we are for ground beef. And it's a whole lot better quality and healthier meat.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Does Bison make good jerkey? Or is it tough (tougher than regular jerkey, that is)?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried the jerky. The bison sausage is kind of neat. Here is the place (in Wisconsin) my buffalo meat came from. You can see the options and prices, if you were interested.

http://northstarbison.com/

Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

I was thinking about that, Dag!

My husband makes really good beef jerky, and uses beef that is as fat free as possible. We have a load in the freezer right now. So I imagine bison would be perfect for jerky.

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, thanks for the link, Theca.

I've always wanted to try making jerky. Do you need a dehydrator, or can you use an oven that can go on a low temperature?

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Will B
Member # 7931

- posted      Profile for Will B   Email Will B         Edit/Delete Post 
B-HAX, first of all, thanks for this radical honesty. Second: I don't know what would make you happy (and HWP), but if you try enough different things, something might work! Best of luck.
Posts: 1877 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.