FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Cold fusion?

Author Topic: Cold fusion?
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like there may be a way to induce protons to get cozy with each other without extremes of temperature. Instead, this device uses a very large electric field to accelerate hydrogen atoms to very high speeds.

quote:
Unlike some previous claims of room-temperature fusion, this one makes intuitive sense: its just another way to get atoms close enough together for the strong force to take over and do the rest. Once the reaction got going, the scientists observed not only the production of helium nuclei, but other tell-tale signs of fusion such as free neutrons and high energy radiation.

This experiment has been repeated successfully and other scientists have reviewed the results: it looks like the real thing this time.

However, the process is not yet energy-efficient, so don't expect your cars to be powered by fusion anytime soon. Still, this is an interesting breakthrough, since the device is small, simple, and doesn't require high temperatures.

[ June 07, 2005, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Shigosei ]

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airguitarist
Member # 2647

- posted      Profile for Airguitarist           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't current nuclear reactors generate electricity with turbines powered by steam preasure from water heated by the nuclear reaction? Could one of the local experts explain to me how without heat you can generate power?
Posts: 43 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

It's not that the reaction doesn't generate heat. It's called "cold fusion" because normally hydrogen is heated to millions of degrees in order to get the reaction started. However, this process can be carried out closer to temperatures that are normal (for us).
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Really. "Cold fusion" is not. Perhaps it is a result of the strong force interaction, but it is not fusion.

Where did you get this old data from? Is there something new in this field? I doubt it.

*Produces cold fusion in a hot-dog*

Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

Oops! Forgot to post the link. The article is new; it came out yesterday. And yes, according to the article they have seen helium nuclei, so I assume that means fusion.
no. 6
Member # 7753

- posted      Profile for no. 6           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, maybe. Now that you posted the link.

This bit makes me think that it could be right as well:

quote:
For the time being, don't expect fusion to become a readily available energy option. The current cold fusion apparatus still takes much more energy to start up than you get back out, and it may never end up breaking even. In the mean time, the crystal-fusion device might be used as a compact source of neutrons and X-rays, something that could turn out to be useful making small scanning machines. But it really may not be long until we have the first nuclear fusion-powered devices in common use.
Thanks for the update. [Wink]
Posts: 410 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a dating services for protons!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait to have my Mr. Fusion-powered car.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.