FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Mission: Impossible "surprise"

Author Topic: Mission: Impossible "surprise"
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
For one reason or another, I didn't see the Tom Cruise Mission: Impossible movie until this past week. Amazingly, I'd avoided all spoilers and had *no* idea what was going to happen. I watched it with my Mother who was also spoiler-free and we are not five minutes into the film when she has the bad guy pegged. The Major Disaster hadn't even happened yet; they were still in the planning meeting!

Mom always figures stuff out before me. I read just as many mystery novels as she does, but, somehow, I didn't inheirit her bad-guy radar.

But, just for perspective, at what point in the movie did you all figure it out? Was it really that easy or is my Mom a genius?

Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I figured it out, too.
It's amazing how often the bad guy is of that "type." In fact, nine times out of ten nowadays, I consider it a twist when that character is not the bad guy.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen this particular movie but I'm forbidden from talking during movies, because I predict outcomes and question anything that isn't watertight.

*watery smile*

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I figured it out about the time that I saw John Voight's name on the video box. Beat that.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw it in the theater, so figured it out well before Voight's name even got printed on a video box. Ah-HA!

Thing that bugged me about that movie was not how pathetically easy it was to get the bad guy figured out immediately. It was the way they did all the stupid flashbacks when Tom Cruise's character is finally realizing what the audience knew from the beginning. We don't need flashbacks to something that happened 30 minutes ago and is blatantly obvious, thanks.

--Enigmatic
(Humming MI theme song)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Randy
Member # 8181

- posted      Profile for Randy   Email Randy         Edit/Delete Post 
Major Spoiler below, but what the heck, I hated the movie anyway, so I want everyone else to hate it, too. [Evil]

I was impossible for me to figure out who the bad guy was, because he was the same character who was the hero of the original TV series (and the second TV series as well). Who expects the hero to go bad?

You don't expect Matt Dillon, Buck Rogers, James T. Kirk, to go bad. You don't expect the Lone Ranger, Zorro, Batman or Spider-Man to go bad.

I thought it was a cheap and nasty trick to play on fans of the original series, and was offended.

Oh, well.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveRogers
Member # 7130

- posted      Profile for SteveRogers           Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen it, don't plan to. I did figure out the bad guys in both The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons before I finished them.
Posts: 6026 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Randy
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing the bad guys in Angels & Demons were the demons, and in The DaVinci Code the bad guy was probably Michelangelo.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I never saw the movie in the theatres, but I remember when it came out. I saw some MTV VJ doing the red carpet thing at the Hollywood premier. She got Martin Landau to talk to her, and basically said, "I really loved you in Ed Wood. What are you doing here?" She didn't even realize that the movie was based on a TV series, let alone that he'd starred in it. Talk about ugly; I've never seen an interviewee turn on an interviewer so fast in all of my life. That's good television.
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Considering that all the reviews complained about the TV good guy Phelps being turned into the movie's bad guy...

[ June 08, 2005, 05:07 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.