FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Ever Google-ed your own name? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ever Google-ed your own name?
advice for robots
Member # 2544

- posted      Profile for advice for robots           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my freak, bev!
Posts: 5957 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm just a little "weirded out" right now
Why, Bev? Did the links indicate he had turned out weird or something?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Tick, Adam -- Thanks!

(Just used it and was reminded once again why I never use "Steve" as my first name in anything I write. [Eek!] )

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw, he was already weird. ^_^

It's just one of those "blast from the past" things. He's the guy I wrote about in my second landmark as my first love.

He actually sent me a random email a few years ago, and we chatted a bit. But then I never heard from him again. I actually would like to have stayed in touch with him.

I actually sent him an email based on the one on the link, but it is several years old. I have no idea if the account is still active or anything. It would be fun to chat with him again.

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desdemona
Member # 7100

- posted      Profile for Desdemona   Email Desdemona         Edit/Delete Post 
O_O

O_O

If I google my full name in brackets, I get the messages that I've posted to my school's "news" e-mail folder.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
Very amazing ! I have three answer : A bassist (like me but in better), a movie maker, and... me !
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

I sent him an email, unsure if the address was still good, and heard back already! w00t!

[Smile]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm

a famous academic and feminist who lectured Law at the University of Leicester and who has Law school prizes named after her [Big Grin] .

a person who writes video games.

someone who almost could have been me, which is kind of creepy, but probably isn't. O.o

a fashion show producer.

a mother of two.

an operations manager for a financial company of some kind.

someone born October 28th, 1900 in Clarksville, Texas.

a "voiceover talent", heh.

a freelance theatrical costume designer.

someone with "delicious but deadly" recipe for Mississippi Mud Pie [Big Grin] .

...and more. I suppose that's what I get for having a common name.

I have used google to search for people I used to know, but lost touch with. It was a strange experience. It never occured to me to use it as a source of information on people I still knew...

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
AFR, that site is CREEPY! It has phone numbers for crying out loud! And while it doesn't have me exactly, it has both my parents, our addresses in all three of the houses we've lived in in the past 12 years, and both my parents BIRTHDAYS!

at least the satelite photo feature didn't work...

On a lighter note, when I google my name the first two are the Circus Smirkus website (one link even has a picture), the third is a news article about me being on tour with Smirkus, and the fifth is the minutes from a school board meeting at which I spoke.
Then it turns to stuff about my dad, because he has several websites, has published a book, and is a member of all sorts of stuff.

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
AFR's site has two recent addresses, but one of the phone numbers listed isn't one I recognize. Since I haven't lived at that address for 3 years and it didn't show up on my credit report as a bad account, I'm not sure if it's worth a call to the phone company to find out what the deal was there.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

Ooo, I hadn't even seen the site AFR posted. Wow! I didn't know something like that existed. Not for free, anyway.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
That ZabaSearch is impressive, although it has significant gaps. It doesn't know my current address -- not surprising, since I'm not on any of the bills by name, and have only been here 10 months. (Although I did change my car registration, voter registration, and license.) It does know my previous address, and the one before that (but not the one before that). It doesn't know me at all by my maiden name.

It also knows my date of birth.

As for Google, it tells me that I have a PhD, am an assistant professor, and got married in Israel last month.

The hits that are actually me are from a etymology site that I asked a couple questions of, and guestbooks I signed from the same site that thinks I'm married. (But there seems to be yet a THIRD person (on the one site!) with my name, also signing guestbooks there.)

First name and maiden name pulls up surprisingly few hits, none of which are particularly interesting -- or me.

As far as the "to Google or not" issue, I routinely Google everything and everyone -- people I know are no exception. And I fully expect that anyone who knows my full name may do the same -- which is part of why I'm careful about giving out my last name. (And checked, before posting this, to be sure that many Rivkas come up when searching for the combination of Rivka and "assistant professor.")

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a grand total of 10 sites, 9 of which weren't even people with my name, just comments that included a person with my first name and the word "rash". The other was about my debate record at the Conway Classic. I guess I'm one of a kind. Although a friend of mine is apparently both a champion jockey and a college professor.
Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are a few from googlism using the short version of my first name (carefully edited for content):

I am:

the president and founder of northern tier outdoors

a very competent director and videographer

the research analyst for Not Dead Yet

a wild non stop sex extravaganza

a proponent of groff's methods

(one of these is correct)

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I Googled myself once, but only because I was going out alone and wanted to make sure I wasn't a drug-addled serial killer.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Were you?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Good news. I contacted the telephone company. Their records show that the number in question was registered to my former mother in law at that address, my name and SSN don't show up anywhere on that account. So the site created a link that wasn't valid.

I'm still concerned about the fact that between my name and the ex's name, every single one of our addresses and phone numbers since graduating high school is listed! I'm seriously thinking it's worth the extra money to the phone company to get a blocked listing...

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*notes Chris failure to answer*

*ulp*

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, we should also be worried about sndrake, depending on which one of those it is that's correct...
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Except that I've been in his office at Not Dead Yet . . . so I think we're ok.
Peter
Member # 4373

- posted      Profile for Peter   Email Peter         Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see, I'm:
An Illusionist
College Football Player
Junoir in Highschool
An Athletic Trainer
A published writer
And a Chancellor for something called The people's Free Republic of Sherwood

Aren't I talented? [Big Grin]

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the links for my name are actually me.

In fact, with my middle initial, I have to go to the middle of page four to find a link that *isn't* me.

[Angst]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Cow, I'm getting a "cannot find server" error. However, I'm getting this on a couple other sites as well, so I don't know if there's a problem with my 'net access from work or if there's another issue.
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
Site works fine here.
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

Good, I'm glad to hear that, kaioshin. I'd much rather know it's just me (or my office, as the case may be) than someone else's site.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't use to have anything for my name, but in the last six months I've made the net about 5 times for playing music.

Anybody else have any changes?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't exist, although someone with part of my name is a famous set designer....
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*dies* I just found an online review of a synthpop band I was in in high school.

"...an innovative hybrid between 80s synth pop/new wave and modern metal. Formed in 2001, Chris Yarber (vocals/synth guitar), Josh Bush (guitar), Marty Ringheisen (bass) and Pearce Holland (Synthesizer) are bringing a futuristic wave of music to the florida alt-scene."

[ROFL]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Googlism doesn't know enough about me to come up w/ any funny lists.

There were a number of Norwegian language hits that are completely unintelligible to me.

It's been a while since I've googled myself, so I was surprised that there were several legitimate ones--mostly newsletters or editorial projects I've worked on. And one comment to a Washington Post online chat from YEARS ago when I shoulda been working! ;-)

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh -- I just kept googling and searched on a name I hadn't thought of in ages. A guy I had a HUGE crush on it college, then lost track of. Google turned up a hit from the Social Security Death Index--I know it was him because it was a very unusual name and the vital stats are all correct. He died before I even graduated, twenty years ago!! He had hemophelia but I don't think I ever really understood at the time how serious that was. He was a bit of a risk-taker and I remember it was hard for him to curtail his activities. I just looked at a site on the disease and see that they have made great strides in treatment in the past 20 years. I'm so sorry it was not in time to save my friend. The world could use more people like him.
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I am on page 22 of the google search of my name.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
A search on my maiden name brings up a lot of hits that are really me. In fact, only one hit is someone else.

My married name is rather more common. At the top of the list is an Irish fiddler/dancer who's apparently fairly popular.

I had actually done these searches when I was trying decide what name to publish under. I went with a shortening of my first name with my married name, because I didn't want to compete with the fiddler/dancer for google hits.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I did this about three or four years ago, when there was a thread about it, and it was how I learned that my grandfather had once been arrested for plotting to assassinate Fidel Castro.

[Eek!]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetbaboo
Member # 8845

- posted      Profile for sweetbaboo   Email sweetbaboo         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a helpful tool when searching for information for your family history. Use it all the time to search for ancestors names. It's usually interesting what turns up. (Icarus is a great example) [Wink]
Posts: 697 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Googling my name results in all kinds of madness, almost all of it mine, from my youth...dozens of old webpages, etc.

The most irritating thing, though, is that the vast majority of the hits are my Amazon.com reviews, and hundreds of other websites stealing them.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
Googling my name results in all kinds of madness, almost all of it mine, from my youth...dozens of old webpages, etc.

The most irritating thing, though, is that the vast majority of the hits are my Amazon.com reviews, and hundreds of other websites stealing them.

Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I googled myself (does that sound dirty somehow?) I have an unusual last name so it was all me. Most depressing, on the third page was a link to a blog entry of an old acquaintance talking about how old and fat I was. This did not make my day!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hamson
Member # 7808

- posted      Profile for Hamson   Email Hamson         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparantly, I'm an amazing hypnotist, and I "WILL EXCEED YOUR EXPECTATIONS AT YOUR NEXT FAIR, BANQUET, CONVENTION, SHOW, FESTIVAL OR FUND-RAISER WITH HIS ..."

*taken from short description when searching on Google

Posts: 879 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Historian
Member # 8858

- posted      Profile for Historian   Email Historian         Edit/Delete Post 
Hatrack discovers ego-surfing

Googlism doesn't find enough info, but then I've made a point of staying under the radar.

Posts: 80 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Two or three days after Fahim and I met online, I Googled him. He's got thousands of hits that are actually him. I figured it was a good way to find out if he was a liar or a good guy. [Big Grin]

When I Google me, most of what shows up is me.

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
My mom Googles the men I date as soon as she finds out their full names.

It can be rather embarassing.

Nowadays, I don't tell her when I'm seeing anyone. I just say I'm "hanging out with my friend, Joe-Bob."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes-- just NMS stuff in the local newspaper and on my school website.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
Huh... I regularly google myself to make sure I don't show up.

Had an ex-boyfriend who tracked me down a few times through searches. Since then I try to make sure I don't show up. I have not been as careful in here as I should be, and need to be more careful from now on..

I once had to go to church and ask me to take my name off because I don't need him knowing my church or even city.

Creepy guy

Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
I am listed under some programs for music, plus some scholarship announcements from Highschool. Other than that I am a member of the nebraska community foundation, and I am listed next to a "Gay Wintermote." I was also convicted of sexual assault in the midwest in 1996, I have subsequently passed away.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hatrack discovers ego-surfing
As I noted before, this isn't new to Hatrack. Memes re-emerge periodically, and that's pretty cool, because a whole new set of people get to enter the conversation, rather than feeling that it's all been said.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.