FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How do ambulances get through red lights?

Author Topic: How do ambulances get through red lights?
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I need this answer as soon as anyone can give it to me -- ambulances and fire trucks use devices to switch red lights to green so they can get through in a hurry -- what are those thingies called? Pre-emptor is the word I was given, but that doesn't come up in any internet searches.

Anyone?

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually around here they just drive through red lights with all lights a blazing and sirens going.

Wouldn't it be dangerous to change the light to green like that?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 8107

- posted      Profile for Spaceman   Email Spaceman         Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you call the non-emergency number for the fire department, tell them you are a writer, and ask them?
Posts: 115 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
In some major cities they do have devices that turn the lights to green for the emergency vehicles. It has proven safer since it does so in a controlled (yellow Red) way and doesn't completely rely on cross traffic drivers actually paying attention to the road.

However some people were making and selling home made versions. This is dangerous (and highly illegal)

But I don't know their official names.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, what they do is change it to red in all directions and then go through with lights and sirens. I don't know what the thingie is called, but I do remember a stink a couple of years ago when someone started selling them on the internet.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Found it! I was close -- they're called "pre-emptive devices." Fancy stuff http://www.skyoptics.com/Mirt_History.htm
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Opticom is one.

Strobecom is the other.

Opticom is the word professionals use in casual language to refer to both.

HTH

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boon
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes, and they turn the light they're facing green and the rest red most of the time. They can be set to change them all red, but usually are not set up like that.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
They use the deviced here. When I've been nearby one to see it, traffic in the direction of the emergency vehicle(s) and incoming traffice (i.e. north-south or east-west) gets an abbreviated green to allow the emergency crews through. I assume that it is when the pre-emptive device moves out of range of the signal control that the normal signals are restored.

On ours, we have a small white light mounted on the crossbar between two sets of colored signal lights. Often times that white light being on is an earlier gauge to me of when someone's coming in hot than being able to hear the sirens.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
In Birmingham they're all set up on what are called "routes". When an emergency vehicle is headed somewhere and needs the lights changed, they call the dispatcher and say something like "Rescue 16 requests Route 3" and the dispatch does it for them.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whiskysunrise
Member # 6819

- posted      Profile for whiskysunrise   Email whiskysunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that what those are for? I have seen them here and wondered what they were for.
Posts: 747 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... never heard of it before -- even though I drove an ambulance for many years.

Guess Kansas isn't big enough to need them -- we just blaze through red lights with lights & siren going -- and people are supposed to stop.....

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the way it works is that the device is mounted on an emergency vehicle. It strobes at X times per second. The newer traffic signals are set to recognize this flashing, which tells the signal to change to green this way, yellow then red all other directions.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in Birmingham the vehicles aren't equipped, it's controlled at dispatch.

It's going to vary from city to city, I think.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
But if you're a writer, you can make it work whatever way you want in the city you make up. [Wink]

So, Opticom would probably be the word Leonide wants. [Smile]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
transponder, is the word I've always heard used.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.